It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia protects it's citizens from police abuse, why don't we?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
The Russian Interior Ministry has unveiled a new proposed law intended to curb police abuse. Many of the provisions seem pretty common sense and might go a long way toward reigning in overly aggressive cops.

New law to protect Russian citizens from police abuse

The Russian Interior Ministry has unveiled parts of a new police law intended to safeguard against the abuse of citizens’ rights by the police.

If the draft law is approved, a police officer, should he abuse a citizen’s rights, will have to make a formal apology to this person either in a place of employment or in a place of education.

The police will also have to keep a comprehensive list of all suspects detained in the country and all the details of their detention to ensure that none of the rules or rights are breached.

Moreover, the new law will redefine the rules concerning policemen’s use of force, which will be permitted in “extreme circumstances” only. It means that no lethal weapons – including gas and shocking devices– will be allowed if a suspect does not pose an obvious risk.

The reform also includes expansions of so-called “principles of policing” – the officers’ code of conduct. The 4 basic principles are to be expanded to 7, namely respect of law, respect of citizens’ rights and freedoms, more publicity and openness within police forces, more cooperation with government and civil society, impartiality of the police officers when they are carrying out their responsibilities, use of modern technology, ensuring public confidence and people’s support for the police forces.

“These principles gear towards respecting both human and citizens’ rights as a highest value in a civil society and a civilized state,” Deputy Minister of Internal Affaires Sergey Bulavin said.

Read more: RT

I think the police in the US would hold an armed insurrection if they tried to pass the part about having to make a public apology here. Being a cop means you never have to apologise, right?

This law seems to place some pretty common sense restrictions on police use of force. I like the part about limiting force to only extreme circumstances. We see to many vids and news stories of police tazing people just for asking questions. Not to mention when they taze senior citizens and children. :shk: Police need to learn more restraint when it comes to the use of force. They all seem to be running around with hair triggers nowadays.

I also like the "principals of policing" where they try to instill in the officers the idea that they are public servants, meant to serve the community, not predators looking upon their fellow citizens as prey.

It would be nice to see this type of police reform here in the US as well. Cops have gotten way to big for their britches since 9-11 IMHO.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
So Russia now leads the way on Police Brutality.

This is a welcoming piece of news.

Cops in the US and UK are a mixture of corrupt and cowardly individuals who have let power seize control. Most are plain criminal. I suspect the one in the states are far worse than anything we have in the UK.

I do not like cops and I think if they abuse people and their rights a stint in jail for them, without being allowed on the protection wing would serve as a good deterrent. Most, if not all, would cry themselves to sleep every night in prison. Scarred to death...like little kittens.

Why? Because they are just weak bullies who hide behind badges. Not all I once met a cop who was very reasonable. I used to play poker with him and some others and he stated that the low pay and treatment of cops made them partial to natural human behavior - GREED and POWER!

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Your kidding right? just a few months ago russian warned of 'rogue' cops?

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by empireofpain
Your kidding right? just a few months ago russian warned of 'rogue' cops?

I guess this is their solution to the rogue cop problem. At least they're doing something about it.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
So far it is a proposal, probably long awaited. Russian police routinely roughhandle prisoners, punching and kicking their lights out.

www.youtube.com...

So , perhaps things are changing for the better. You have to ask though, what is their defintion of a rogue cop, FM.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Kinda cool watching Russia slowly become a better place, erasing years of tyranny..

Also sad to see the US adopting Soviet policies, going back in time, erasing freedoms not insuring them.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
We are talking about a country that just seized 10,000 Anti-Putin books and you call that going forward? You peons are blind!

new topics

top topics

join