It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aussie Scientist: Homo Sapiens Extinct Within 100 Years

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Aussie Scientist

Hear it from Frank Fenner, emeritus professor of microbiology at the Australian National University and the man who helped eradicate smallpox.

"Homo sapiens will become extinct, perhaps within 100 years," he told The Australian this week.

"It's an irreversible situation." Blame global warming.

This apparently was published in The Australian's prestigious Higher Education supplement.

The scientist is now a 95 year old man.

Using nothing but his own reckoning.

Evidently it's going to be a global warming apocalypse with the last available breeders languishing at the poles: the last habitable place on earth.

WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Its a long shot but i can guess we're gonna see more threads like this. Theres too much happening to mother earth right now for us not to worry IMO.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Homo Sapiens will essentially evolve into Homo Electricus - Artificial Intelligence. I agree we'll be gone, but not because of disaster - it'll be because we change our physical makeup.

And besides, in 100 years, everyone you know now, including yourself will be dead anyways.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by harrytuttle]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Without a doubt we will end up lower down the pecking order, or wiped out. I'd expect us to be superceded by artificial intelligence sometime between the mid to late 21st century.

Otherwise, my money would be possibly on a nuclear holocaust, or genetically engineered supervirus. Runaway global warming? It's possible... but I do wonder how many of these scientists are alarmist to a) sell books or b) boost their profile.

On the other hand, things might just turn out alright. Might.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
LOL I bet this scientist has an ATS account too.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I really, really struggle to see climate change wiping out the species entirely. It's not inconceivable to me that tensions resulting from it could cause wars that might do the job.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Isn't this rather obvious by now? I was screaming this to the best of my ability that everywhere I look is mass insanity and we're all doomed because of our own ignorance, arrogance, and greed . . years ago.

Fact: approximately 30% of the species to have existed pre-industrial times have gone extinct.

Best scientific prediction: 30-50% of the remaining species will be extinct by 2100

Ocean acidification, deforestation, pollution of the water, air soil, and food supply, pesticides, herbicides, mass idiocy abound, ability to push that red button at any second, etc, etc, etc, etc....

And some still think we're a sane creature.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Arkady

Don't be so sure of that. 63,674 species have gone extinct this year alone.

bye, bye, then

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Alright lemme put it this way for the optimists.

We don't HAVE TO go extinct, but the only real hope is space colonization ASAP. It's not as easy as merely shooting for the stars. It will be incrimental. So we need as many bright chaps getting their butts off the couch, and getting to work NOW.

I've decided to help in any way I can. Going back to school this fall and getting an engineering degree, after which I will go to work on a civilian aeronautics program. I'm thinking of contacting the local crews around here who are already getting started.

It's truly a race against time.

GET TO IT, ALREADY !!

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Only the wealthy will be able to reach the stars. Me on the other hand will be a barbarian wrestling grizzly bears for a piece of pork.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
Fact: approximately 30% of the species to have existed pre-industrial times have gone extinct.

Best scientific prediction: 30-50% of the remaining species will be extinct by 2100

Those numbers are just plain wrong.

Fact: > 99 % of species that existed 1000 years ago still exist

Best scientific prediction: < 1 % of the remaining species will be extinct by 2100

Clarification: > 99,9999 % of all species on Earth are micro-organisms.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

Good ridence, Mother Earth will be better off without us.

(Oh I know I'm gonna get flamed for this one!
)

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle
Homo Sapiens will essentially evolve into Homo Electricus - Artificial Intelligence. I agree we'll be gone, but not because of disaster - it'll be because we change our physical makeup.

And besides, in 100 years, everyone you know now, including yourself will be dead anyways.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by harrytuttle]

A much more likely situation.

I'd say some humans will go this direction, and toher will go another direction, a srot of seperation, but hopefully a peaceful world can come from this evolution? Who knows. UIt is time for a change, and it's going to happen, because we live in a time of great change, nothing can stop it. But will it be a good thing or a bad thing? I guess it's up to perspective.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Global warming has a positive cycle, that is, it amplifies with any input. The warmer the Earth gets the less Ice we have. This Ice reflects most solar radiation keeping us cool. When it is replaced with water which absorbs all solar radiation, the Earth gets warmer and warmer.

Might actually reduce affects of an ice age, which we had last about 15,000 to 10,000 years ago. Although I suspect we're going through a warm period and things are going to get HOT

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

Good ridence, Mother Earth will be better off without us.

(Oh I know I'm gonna get flamed for this one!
)

Not going to flame you, just going to say, we are mother earth, us and everything else on earth, that's if science is correct and earth gave birth to us

[edit on 17-6-2010 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by CoachSlamYou
Only the wealthy will be able to reach the stars. Me on the other hand will be a barbarian wrestling grizzly bears for a piece of pork.

I needed the laugh this provoked....
thanks!!...

I agree...I will be wrestling grizzly bears too...or black bears ...pa...

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by rhinoceros

Fact 99.9% of all species that have Ever existed have gone extinct.

The end of humans on this planet will happen, its only a matter of time.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by rhinoceros

Originally posted by unityemissions

Those numbers are just plain wrong.

Fact: > 99 % of species that existed 1000 years ago still exist

Best scientific prediction: < 1 % of the remaining species will be extinct by 2100

Clarification: > 99,9999 % of all species on Earth are micro-organisms.

BS

Listen, at least 120,000 species will go extinct THIS YEAR. There's only so many millions, most estimates range from 3-100 million. So let's say it keeps going at this current rate
for a decade. That's 1.2 million which would be 1.2-40% of the remaining species IN ONE DECADE.

Check my link above if you don't believe that many species are dying out day in and day out.

It's called the holocene extinction event. It started 12,000 years ago roughly, and has been accelerating ever since the industrial revolution.

Just because you don't want it to be, doesn't make it so.

Nearly half of the world's species of plants, animals and microorganisms will be destroyed or severely threatened over the next quarter century due to rainforest deforestation.
Link

The National Science Foundation's "Tree of Life" project estimates that there could be anywhere from 5 million to 100 million species on the planet, but science has only identified about 2 million.
Link

[edit on 17-6-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Homo Sapiens will go extinct. In 100 years? Doubt it. As much as you may not notice it, we have been evolving. Homo Sapiens are roughly 180,000 years old, or 50,000 if you want to get super specific and only count behaviorally-modern humans. In that time span, I believe our resistance to the atmosphere has increased, at least the CO2 levels in it. I would like to see one of the first homo sapiens breath in the air today, I bet they would cough like a chain-smoker. This adaptation has helped us get this far, and we will keep adapting.

Now you may say, the adaptation is happening, but not fast enough to keep up with how fast the world is changing. And that would be correct. But as technology progresses and the human race starts pulling its own weight, we'll last far more than 100 years. 1 million years, maybe. Other animals have done it. It's all about adapting. We have no natural predators, we are the rulers of this planet, nothing will top us, ever. Not artificial intelligence.

When the optimists over-ride the pessimists in this world, we'll become a better species.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

That's not true. There are more humans alive today than have ever died.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join