It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Max Replies. Indicator question.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
What's the number of maxium replies before a topic will either A) not count them any further in the indicator that reads the number of replies or B) be closed?

Who knows?

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
It's never occured that I know of.

As far as I know the counter will continue to count the posts, there doesn't seem to be a limit.

A quick look at the recent posts page sometimes reveals threads that have thousands of replies..

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by XsameXoneXotherX

The answer to both is none - there is no maximum number.

Some threads reach the end of their natural life span and fade away, others keep going, but inevitably, the same fate awaits.

As long as people reply within a reasonable time period, the thread will live.

BUT if a thread from 8 or 10 years ago is ressurected for no paticular reason, it may be euthanised.

That's my take on it, but obviously, I could be wrong.

[edit on 17/6/2010 by budski]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by XsameXoneXotherX
What's the number of maxium replies before a topic will either A) not count them any further in the indicator that reads the number of replies or B) be closed?

Who knows?

A) As long as there are replies, the number of replies will continue to be tallied. There is no maximum, nor is there a minimum.

B) There are various reasons why a thread may be closed. But it will never be, because there are too many replies or none at all.

[edit on June 17th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   

I didn't pull that out of my hind quarters either, if the value stored in the database (assuming MySQL) is a bigint it can go up to that size I just put above provided its a signed bigint. If its a unsigned bigint (meaning its not possible for it to be a negative number) then it could go as high as 18,446,744,073,709,551,615.

Link for geeks who would like to read a bit more.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Helig

Now you're starting to scare me Helig.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helig

I didn't pull that out of my hind quarters either, if the value stored in the database (assuming MySQL) is a bigint it can go up to that size I just put above provided its a signed bigint. If its a unsigned bigint (meaning its not possible for it to be a negative number) then it could go as high as 18,446,744,073,709,551,615.

Link for geeks who would like to read a bit more.

uuh... i think its safe to assume that threads will never get that high in number.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Since this has been answered, thread closed.

If you have any questions regarding this or any other matter, feel free to U2U myself or any other Staff Member, or use the ATS Complaint/Suggestion Form located in the Member Center and get the full attention of the entire Staff.

top topics

join