It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Encouraging moves towards more civil liberties in the UK

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Since the new Conservatives-Liberal alliance came into power at the 6th May 2010 General Election, there has been proposed legislation to rid the UK of the "surveillance state".

Whilst in opposition, Both halves of the alliance had expressed concern about the people sleep-walking into a Surveillance State being instigated by the then Labour government.

I don't think much of it is getting a mention on ATS. All of us here are sick and tired of Big Brother and when there are signs that the winds of change are here it is important to discuss it.

Within just five weeks of coming into power the new Conservative-Liberal government had made the following changes :

1) The National ID card project has been abolished. This means no british citizen will require an ID card. Those 10,000 or so who loved the idea and were quick to put their name down (and give DNA ) have been told that their card will be cancelled and they won't get their money back.

2)The previous government's requirement that 9 million people who 'work' with children more than 1 day a week should go on a Register and be vetted has been abolished. That project was to have started on 27th July 2010 and would include all doctors, teachers, writers who visit school , etc. It seems that the previous Labour government viewed all these people as potential paedophiles. In addition they also wanted to include all parents that ferry their neighbours and friends' children to school (here they had to give in to strong opposition). Anyway the project is now defunct.

3)The previous govt. requirement that all Lanlords (including private individuals that may let an extra property to tenants) go on a register has been abolished.

4)A pledge had been made to bring laws to control the excessive use of CCTVs

5)Just 1 week into power, the new government announced that it was reviewing existing laws with a view to give more power to people to defend themselves against intruders in their home.

I don't want to get into a debate about politics and I know that some have a deep-rooted hate of the Conservatives. However from a purely 'Civil Liberties' point of view, these are surely steps in the right directions.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by crowdedskies]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
What great news!

It has been with great sadness that I have corresponded with residents of the UK who have felt the iron hand of oppression casting a shadow over your great nation.

So this is a wonderful set of events! Bravo.

Hopefully, Conservative won't have to be a dirty word, but one that stands for rationale that applies to ALL people.

It should be about conserving things that matter to all. Universal, rather than denominational (religious right) or unbridled emotions (liberal left).

These kinds of "freedoms" are universally understood to be a human's basic requirement to exist and succeed socially and emotionally.

Great work on keeping them protected, corrected, and alive in the UK.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Copperflower

While I agree that these are steps in the right direction, the real concern is how we pay back 165 billion pounds of debt. The recent cost-cutting measures don't even touch the tip of the debt iceberg and I reckon is time to head off to the far east for a brighter future.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I have lived with being virtually tortured with electronic mind control since 1992, in london uk.

So there is civil liberties is there, really, cough cough, where?

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Sounds too good to be true. I particularly love how if your assaulted in a night club in the UK you can never obtain the CCTV footage, that goes 10 times if a bouncer is involved!

Seriously though as you mentioned another step in the right direction, although near where I live in the Northwest the cops have obtained surveillance drones for use on motorway patrols. Allegedly they were tested whatever that means without the proper clearance. The machines tested were just little hexacopters with cameras on, but in the near future there will be proper BAE military class types. Not sure whether this will change with the new government or not. Fingers crossed! Great thread cheers.

www.bigbrotherwatch.org.uk...

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner

Seriously though as you mentioned another step in the right direction, although near where I live in the Northwest the cops have obtained surveillance drones for use on motorway patrols. Allegedly they were tested whatever that means without the proper clearance. The machines tested were just little hexacopters with cameras on, but in the near future there will be proper BAE military class types. Not sure whether this will change with the new government or not. Fingers crossed! Great thread cheers.

Hopefully it will change. The good thing is that being a coalition government it keeps both leaders on their toes. Otherwise , the new government would get lazy and forget its pledges.

About the drones, I hate them. They were conceived during the Labour era. I doubt the project will be halted. However there might be some protective legislation for the benefit of local citizens. I think local people should arm themselves with slingshots if they turn out to be intrusive.

We must not forget that both David Cameron and Nick Clegg are committed to the concept of the Freedom Bill.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by crowdedskies

You're right about that, most likely there is a legally binding contract to obtain them already, and if they have to buy them they will use them. So far though this Cameron guy hasn't turned out to be the nightmare I imagined he's got a few decent ideas, or Cleggy Wegg as you say is keeping him on the toes. Although I think it is fair to say that the Labour party has looked increasingly Torie over the past few years anyway!

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
It's good to hear that you Brits have some management that are taking a couple of steps in the right direction as far as civil liberties go!! Next up: lose the cameras!!! lol

Trust me, myself and my fellow Americans who are awake to what is happening in the world feel your pain!

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Dont slingslot the skyspys, that would be destruction of government property and a fine or jail, or both, wear a 'hoody' if you are worried about recognition.
In any case, the little buggers cannot be everywhere at once.
As for bringing down the deficit, they are picking on public libraries, I think that's a bit much.
Once those two huge aircraft carriers the Brits don't need are built, perhaps they could be offered for sale to the French? Chinese? Russians?
Brazil? manning them and the running costs will be millions per year, where are the crews coming from? Half the British fleet is moth balled because they don't have enough crewmen/women.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by pikestaff

Public libraries taking the hit....it doesn't get much more WRONG than that, does it?? Sadly here in Detroit our libraries and schools have been taking the hit for decades now....one step forward, two steps back. How about we all just get together and have a do-over?

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by mpriebe81
reply to post by pikestaff

Public libraries taking the hit....it doesn't get much more WRONG than that, does it?? Sadly here in Detroit our libraries and schools have been taking the hit for decades now....one step forward, two steps back. How about we all just get together and have a do-over?

Some positive development with the schools here. First removing them from the tentacles of local authorities. This came about when the new government wrote to all school governors two weeks ago offering them the chance to opt out of local authority control.

Today the concept of free school has been anounced. Basically if 40 or more parents and teachers can form a group, the governent will allow them to form a school which will be totally funded by the state.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Not sure what is happening with libraries though.

[edit on 18-6-2010 by crowdedskies]

[edit on 18-6-2010 by crowdedskies]

new topics

top topics

join