It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia 'disappointed' by additional U.S. EU sanctions on Iran

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Russia 'disappointed' by additional U.S. EU sanctions on Iran

en.rian.ru

17:22 17/06/2010

The Russian Foreign Ministry has called 'disappointing' plans by the United States and European Union to impose new sanctions against Iran, in addition to those approved by the UN last week.

"We are extremely disappointed that neither the United States nor the European Union has listened to our calls to refrain from such steps [sanctions],"Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Sergei Ryabkov said.

The UN sanctions, adopted on June 9, include tougher financial controls and an ex
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.jpost.com

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Looks as though the newer sanctions the US and EU have imposed on Iran are not quite what the Russians agreed with. The Russians agreed to the UN sanctions only. One of my first questions is how will this effect the missile sales that were originally scheduled, but were included and then excluded, and then ah we'll think about it?

There is so far no word from the Chinese that I have found yet on their reactions to the additional sanctions. Although I'm sure they will have something to say about it.

en.rian.ru
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I dont think this will affect the missile sales, they are effectively done.

China on the other hand, thats a horse of a different color. They will probably be peeved if this hurts their bottom line, and will act to stymie any US or EU interest in the M.E.

Its just fascinating to watch all the moves and counter moves of the countries involved. I only wish I could be the proverbial 'fly on the wall' for some of the meetings of heads of state.

I dont know the details of the new sanctions, but its probably the least they could do to appease Israel, and prevent or delay any action on their part.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Here is another article from Rian

02:10 18/06/2010
Unilateral sanctions against Iran might only aggravate the current situation and inflict damage upon the dialogue with Tehran, the Russian president said.

The United States and European Union decided to impose new sanctions against Iran this week, in addition to those approved by the UN last week.

"We didn't agree to this when we discussed the joint resolution at the UN. We should act collectively. If we do, we will have the desired result," Dmitry Medvedev said in an interview with The Wall Street Journal.

The UN sanctions, adopted on June 9, include tougher financial controls and an expanded arms embargo, as well as an asset ban on three dozen companies and a travel freeze on individuals.

The new sanctions, which are set to be introduced by the EU and United States, will go further than the UN sanctions, which were softened to secure support of veto-wielding members Russia and China.

The Russian president added that it is necessary to build a constructive dialogue with Tehran but not create problems for civilians in the country.

Russia's Foreign Ministry warned after the Security Council resolution was adopted that any additional sanctions affecting Russian companies or individuals would bring a response from Moscow.

MOSCOW, June 18 (RIA Novosti)

This is puzzling. The UN sanctions were agreed to and really have not had a chance to take effect, then the US and EU decide to add more sanctions, which is creating disagreement between the original parties. Sort of makes one wonder if anyone is really in charge here.

top topics

join