It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gulf Oil LEAK: Forget Conspiracy theories - this was an accident and it's WAY worse than we know..

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

I agree with you that we as a species are insignificant but what we may have done here in open Pandora's box. The might well be how mother nature gets rid of us - with oil.

We are exploring uncharted territory here my friend as this has never happened before.

The MSM isn't doing any fearmongering, they're the ones saying everything is normal about this spill. They also aren't showing much and BP has been caught lying time and again.
This very well could destroy the Atlantic fisheries if it continues to flow unabate for God--knows--how--long. It could be DECADES, we just don't know.

The only quick fix is to nuke it which again, we know nothing of the repercussions. It could very well blow the top off this dome and cause a tsunami that takes out the entire coastline along with the whole state of Florida.

I really believe we have just cause to worry. Even the best case scenarios would be a major dip in our GDP at a time when the economy is about to crack.

Many, many signs point to foreknowledge of this event and you do remember the threads last year about the plastic coffins stacked up in Georgia and Alabama?

At a minimum we should all keep a close eye on events here and make some preparations in case food and fuel costs go sky high (which is very likely IMO).

Whatever happens, happens and you're right about keeping the fear level down, We should just be rational, watch carefully and do what we can to be prepared should things go south, No pun intended.

Best, ATA

[edit on 17-6-2010 by Asktheanimals]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

Hmmm that looks like methane hydrates, it's very white looking.
Not the usual red/black/brown.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
I don't know why I even bothered to click on this thread. I am sick of the fear mongering about this spill. Tragic yes, by have some faith in out planets ability to right our wrongs. Our planet will destroy us before we ever destroy it. Mother nature is an amazing thing. I am tired of arrogant humans that think we have more power than nature.

That's not to mention the fact that the media has and always will over exaggerate stuff like this to keep people watching and in fear.

I am sure I'll be flamed for this but that's perfectly Ok. Hopefully someone will read this and start to see how truly insignificant we are.

Nobody is saying, or has stated that the planet cannot recover from this disaster. You however, are simply reinforcing the popular view of fear that surrounds this subject. Fear of how "truly insignificant" we are. Fear that we simply won't be around by the time the planet fully recovers. Fear that our eradication is nothing more than a step in the planets recovery process. Even the worlds biggest tree-huggers, are only tree huggers because we die if the trees do.

We can't just sit back and say "ahh, whatever, the planet will fix itself". now THAT is arrogance at its finest. We can't do that because a) ever look at the human life span on a geologic time scale? and b) exactly what do we do in the mean-time?

So, I propose that you go back, and read your own post again. Really absorb what you said before spewing more about everyone else's arrogance.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I am not scientifically versed, just thinking here in logical terms. If the reservoir of oil is experiencing the claimed high pressures (some estimates are suggesting100,000 PSI never mind 17,000) then just because we are not seeing millions of barrels pouring out as yet does not necessarily negate the claims if you consider this :

At the moment the immense pressure is causing the formation of new sea bed fissures and cracks as it tries to find an escape route. Only so much can come out of the pipe/s so it finds other routes. Eventually more cracks would appear, these would get larger until there are multiple fractures which result in the reservoir blowing it's lid off and a hole basically opening up in he ocean floor. If there IS an extremely high PSI as claimed this does not necessarily mean we should be seeing millions of barrels pouring out right now...the pressure is doing by gradually creating new fractures all over the place, these fissures starting thousands of feet below and having to gradually work their way up the surface, which would take time .

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

I don't believe so and here is why:

1. The reservoir was already there and it has only been tapped by a small steel pipe. It already existed under the immense pressure and the Earths crust was already sealing it in. The oil itself was created by this very pressure, so it isn't like it was injected there and itching to get out.

2. The pressure they are speaking of is the pressure at the well head. If it was anything higher than the 30psi of positive pressure. Say it was 100psi, then it would be leaking triple the amount of the highest current estimates. If it was 3000 psi, it would be leaking 100 times the current estimate. If it were leaking any more than 50k to 70k barrels per day, it would be readily apparent to all the observers around the Gulf.

3. Even if the pressure at the reservoir itself is say 17,000psi. That could be possible due to the weight of the ocean and the weight of 30,000 feet of additional crust. So if the pressure is 17,000 psi, the ambient pressure all around the reservoir is similar, so it won't try to escape. Even if the pipe caused cracks in the strata around the reservoir, the pressure differential would not cause it to leak. The Gulf has always had "tar balls" from slowly seeping fractures, even before the industrial age happened and oil became a commodity, but we wouldn't be talking about a large scale leak like we have with this open pipe venting to the sea.

The problem here is the pipe that extends 30,000 some feet from the high pressure reservoir to the relative low pressure sea bottom. If we get the relief wells in place and fill that pipe with high friction mud polymers, the leak will stop, even if the sea floor is fractured.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Great post.

For the audio transcript, you just have to listen to the looped podcast - all I can tell you is it's in the last hour (of 4, right?) - if you can stomach Alex for that long.

This 'pastor' has some pretty significant experience and connections in the industry - I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
And, now Hayward steps down.

No one wants this over more than him - he 'wants his life back' - just wow!

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Found it - here's the clip - only 6 minutes. [start at the 3min mark]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join