It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Analysts Say Americans Too Dumbed Down to Understand Obama’s Oval Office Speech

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I think I'd still rather be labeled a stupid racist than a blind suck up because more people are discovering that the emporer truly has no clothes.

Where will you be when the mass awakening occurs?

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Actually I dare anybody to go into the streets right now and ask any fellow American if they know what the president said on his Oval office speech this week.

I bet that most of the people will say that they were too busy to even take the time to listen . . .

[edit on 17-6-2010 by marg6043]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
i thought it was funny how they said he spoke more than twenty words in his sentences making it hard for the "average" american person to understand and follow his speech. Let me assure you that i can put together a long-winded sentence without complicating the message or pretentiously seeming to be intelligent. by the way... is new zealand in the wrong spot on the map?

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

They'd just say TL;DL (too long didn't listen) like a lot of members will say TL;DR (too long didn't read) we have to keep things simple for simple minds these days.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I have always wondered why what anyone says needs to be analyzed. Should it not be self explanatory? If I give directions, do they need to be analyzed? Why if some selected politician speaks do his/her words need to be analyzed at all, if the do does this not mean they have poorly communicated.

As for the actual suggestion, I would suggest he said nothing of value, therefore understanding it or not is irrelevant. When he, or some other President actually says something of value, something that wasn't created by committee, a committee that is created to make sure nothing is actual said via the speech, then we'll talk.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I should be outraged over this? Should I also be outraged over the fact that news media has traditionally been targeted at the 7th grade level to prevent the very thing the analyst is claiming the speech caused?

Have we reached a point in this country where we can't even admit that a portion of the population is quite literally stupid. That we should be outraged over the possibility that some may have the ability to grasp concepts that others can not.

This really sounds like political correctness to me. We have to deny the reality in order to not offend the few.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I watched that speech yesterday and just thought to myself that he doesn't care. You can obviously see that in how he's speaking like a robot from the teleprompter. There's no emotion and it's almost nonchalant when he talks about being months or years to clean up. Why say months? When you know as well as me it's going to take years or longer. Oil is going to be spread around the world in the ocean's currents. Then what happens? Most of you have seen the pictures of oil and those are just the tip of the spear. Obviously this whole mess was spiraling out of control since and before the oil rig blew up. How can you put a price on the oceans ecosystem? We have witnessed something imaginable happen and we get briefed 58 days and 145,000,000 gallons later(That number is based on new estimates of up to 60,000 barrels a day). It's shocking that most are like puppets playing along and falling in line to whatever is stated by someone with power. The target audience couldn't even grasp a 9.8 grade level speech that is sad. Wondering what grade level would have worked best?

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I'm 18 years old, and I clearly understood what he meant.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Morgan Elizabeth23
I'm 18 years old, and I clearly understood what he meant.

Thank You, Thank You So Very Much For Being 18 years old and caring about the direction of your Country and your future.

I'm sure I know the answer, but I must ask, You do know you and all of us were lied to, don't you.

If your 18 years old ( I have no reason not to believe you )and listening to Obama and you didn't have a chance to vote for him, then I have to believe your much smarter that most of your age group.
Pleas tell me there are more like you out there, that we don't hear about.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
This is The White House and The United States Federal Government finally getting behind CLEAN ENERGY INDEPENDANCE.

This is here, it is now. That was the purpose of the speech. The people have been behind this grassroots movement since the 1990's. The Govt is now finally getting behind it. This will save trillions a year in costs. No more petrochemical powered transportation will be produced new by 2030. That is the people's mandate. If you don't like it I quite frankly do not care. For far too long Big Oil has been in charge and the time to finally kill and cut off the purse strings is now.

You want to end the NWO/Illuminati? Kill Big Oil, one of their principal and cheif financing campaigns and methods. This is one of the master tentacles of control that they maintain over us.

Entertainment is in a state of collapse, Banks are in a state of collapse, Oil is in a state of collapse. They are losing and we are winning.

The rest of the world has been waiting with baited breathe for us stateside to finally get behind a clean energy future. No more will trillions be wasted fighting shadow figures.

Not this current generation that is less then 5 years old now but the next generation will not know a world dominanted by petrochemicals to the likes and extent that we know today. If you're between 25 - 35 today, by the time you reach 50 the world will be oil free for transportation purposes.

This is how revolutionary change that we all can believe in is done and this is how you revolt intelligently and without firing one shot. Hit the pockets for an even greater impact. Cap these companies off one by one and the dominoes will fall.

We will get through this new era quite fine. But need to remember a few things along the way :

1. Never lose focus or sight of the goal at hand.
2. Do not lose your temper, cool.
3. Make sure that common sense and logic dictate what we do.
4. The most dedicated will always win.

Islamic Extremists Groups have already said that they will lay down their suicide vests and will work with the rest of the world towards a solution as long as we get off of oil. That is their No. 2 gripe about the west, the fact we bomb thier land just because the only crime is they happen to live on what is one of the largest oil reserves in the world. Oil rich nations in The Middle East are already behind this global clean energy mandate and is already looking at capitalizing on clean energy to keep thier nations afloat.

[edit on 18-6-2010 by TheImmaculateD1]

[edit on 18-6-2010 by TheImmaculateD1]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
You dont like him because you're racist.

You dont like his positions because you're too stupid to understand them.

He should start giving speeches like President Camacho.
Are you serious? I'm, I'm having trouble picking up the sarcasm.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Vinveezy

I listened to a few minutes of it from the beginning and then turned off the TV. I think if you need a President to calm you down with some smooth speech or address to the nation, then, well, I'd say that you're part of the problematic part of society that cannot form an opinion or argument for yourself. I'm not interested in what nice words he has to say. I don't think he has control over the situation for legal reasons. I think if the US government steps in, then it will be the one responsible. I don't think they will work with BP because if they do, they will share part of the blame when it doesn't get fixed on time. So, as much as we might want to help, I think it's an all or nothing situation where either we handle it or BP handles it. With the way things are and will be, I would say it's smart to stay out of the way as far as fixing it; let BP sink alone on this one. As far as preventing the oil from reaching the shores, though, we definitely could do more. Then again, there could be legal ramifications to that too. It's hard to understand decisions being made without knowing the legal consequences, and it's hard for people to accept such reasons...so maybe that's why we haven't heard much. It's like those stupid laws where a medication could save the life of someone who is surely to die, but it hasn't been FDA approved yet...so the person is forced to die. It sounds really stupid, but from a legal standpoint, it protects the corporation or institution that can be sued for big bucks.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by guohua

I'm 19. My 18th was a few days after the election. I was a Ron Paul supporter but when it came to the election, I just didn't want to see McCain winning. I actually did have a little hope in Obama.

Then he got the patriot act extended.

Well, he did promise hope at least. And I did have hope for a while.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpectreDC
reply to post by guohua

I'm 19. My 18th was a few days after the election. I was a Ron Paul supporter but when it came to the election, I just didn't want to see McCain winning. I actually did have a little hope in Obama.

Then he got the patriot act extended.

Well, he did promise hope at least. And I did have hope for a while.

Your so young and have some many more years to be disappointed ahead of you.
Ron Paul, I believe was a good person at heart, but not enough people understood that Obama was lying and didn't care about America.
You never heard any ideas about how Obama was going to implement his Hope and Change.
I tried to tell my young liberal friends,( yes i have liberal friends ) I tried to tell my gay friends,( yes I have gay friends ) But they won't listen, they just had that deer in the head lights look in their eyes and muttered, Hope and Change to them selves.
I would talk to some of my old friends in the company, they'd swear this man could lie to you in his sleep and steal your wallet before he woke up.
Obama would wake up and hear his lies and see your wallet in his hand and just shrug his shoulders. He didn't care and still doesn't care.

On topic, try not to vote for him again, i know many of the liberals like that he dumbs things down for us the stupid masses. But really, is it we that need it dumbed down or is it Obama needs it dumbed down so he can pronounce the words?

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   
I'n sure I read that Obama didn't do to well in his early years at school..

So I wonder if HE understood all that he was reading???

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Hmm I guess this means if you dont agree with what he said and feel he did NOT address the immediate problem you are uneducated??
Oh boy... I think they have underestimate the intelligence of the average American... as do some here.
I'm emailing this article to a few friends who should get a good laugh about this tomorrow.

As for younger Americans seeing the reality of things.... there are plenty, thank God. One of my daughters is 16 and several of her friends are around 18. They are actually educating themselves and see things that are happening with young eyes. Sometimes they even give me a new and more correct perspective than I have
Many of the kids complain about the educational system here where we live and the irritation they have concerning having to educate themselves. We started a book sharing "club" with several of the kids. You'd be shocked and filled with hope if you could see how eager the kids are and how hungry they are for not only some truth, but for something to stimulate their minds. Not all of course, but my teen is particular in her friends and we have seen these great kids ARE out there.

We're going to need them.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer
How condescending.

Obama gives a B.S. speech, the public recognizes it and it's summed up to the population being "dumbed down". Must be that government education they provide us with.

It was bad enough they called everyone "racist" last year. Now they're calling us "stupid" this year.

Change you can believe in.

absolutely !!!!
Oh and don't forget, we were terrorist at one point also.

understand it??? yea I did
Believe it ??? Absolutely NOT !!!!

don't call me dumb cuz I refuse to believe
whatever spews from your mouth to be
the truth. That doesn't make me dumb.
That makes me cautious.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Obama is to me more or less a glorified preacher or televangelist he is a gifted public speaker and consumate media performer and his approach in this address is the same as a preachers promising a better world in this case a nation no longer dependant on oil and better days where the gulf is clean again and all is well.

All is not well however as 100000bbl a day of oil a day is pissing into the ocean and just as Jesus hasn't returned in 2000 years despite thousands of bull artist preachers along the way promising his imminent return the oil is still out there and sweet bugger all has occured to contain the problem nor clean it up.I agree with another poster the rhetoric grows dim,the neuro linguistic programming wears thin,the mass consiousness is starting to figure something is horribly wrong,and the emperor has no clothes.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by guohua

You're welcome (:
Yes, unfortunately I'm aware of our corrupt government, currently and also in the past.
I do have friends who care about out country like I do, but there are quite alot of people my age who don't care.
Its really unfortunate, because that's exactly what the government wants, people that don't care in order for them to take advantage of them.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   
To be honest, the only reason people are so dumbed down is due to being so distracted by entertainment that anything intelligible isn't flashy enough to capture their attention. I believe there are far more ignorant people out there than there are stupid people. On a side note:

Originally posted by guohua
...then I have to believe your much smarter that most of your age group.

Originally posted by Morgan Elizabeth23
You're welcome (:

I've got a pet peeve for people who misuse the instances of your and you're, so I found this irony to be rather humorous.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join