It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Killer space rock' hunt to begin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   

'Killer space rock' hunt to begin

news.bbc.co.uk

A new telescope facility in Hawaii designed to search for asteroids and comets which could threaten Earth has been made operational.

The Pan-STARRS 1 telescope will map large portions of the sky each night to track not only close space objects, but also exploding stars (supernovae).

The telescope has been taking science data for six months but is now operating from dusk-dawn each night.

Pan-STARRS 1 (PS1) is expected to map one-sixth of the sky every month.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Boy, this stuff is straight out of 2012 movie propaganda lately... en.wikipedia.org... and more "marketing" links to that movie and idea... www.instituteforhumancontinuity.org...

Combine this with "solar flare" doom, "black holes" doom, "climate change" doom, .... and I'm becoming very skeptical of a LOT of "science" lately.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the imminent economic problems and subsequent intended renovations... (cough cough NWO)...

news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jcrash

Pan-STARRS 1 (PS1) is expected to map one-sixth of the sky every month.

SO does this mean rhat in 6 months it will have mapped the whole of the sky? Or does it map the same 1/6th of the sky every month.
Yes, yes, I know it isn't possible for it to map all of the sky due to axial tilt. I better read the source eh?

I love most anything astronomy, learned to use the TS-24 tele in high school, went to Univ. of Fl and got scared away by the physics professors and their way of teaching, and changed my major to Greek and Roman Classics. I kick myself mentally every time I am outside and look up.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
You have no idea how significant this may turn out to be when suddenly pow "announcement" ATS will be buzzing. Youve seen all the oil spill threads? Just wait for this.

S&F
Could all threads regarding anything along these lines please stick to this thread as i would safely say its possibly the first.
(Thanks for the thread

Could there be an announcement regarding a star falling to earth burning like a torch scenario or something along the lines of the prophecies from say? The Mayans or the Hopi?

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Not quick enough lol.

This is being discussed at www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join