It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona Spends $1.25M to Save 250 Squirrels

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Arizona Spends $1.25M to Save 250 Squirrels

abcnews.go.com

Arizona is spending $1.25 million to build bridges for endangered squirrels over a mountain road so they don't become roadkill and then monitor their health.

The money is being spent, officials said, because cars kill about five of these squirrels each year.

The DOT plans to install 41 of the "canopy tunnel crossings" at a cost of $400,000.

Another $160,000 will be spent on cameras to monitor the bridges, and the rest of the money will fund a project to monitor the rodents.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
When will this nonsense stop. This consistent waste of money obtained from the labor of others is ridiculous. I'm all for saving the rodent to the extent that it can be saved, but to use taxpayer money to the tune of $5k/rodent is a criminal waste of money.

This is exactly the kind of project that screams out for a private donation.

The real issue is the manner in which the political class have total disregard for the wishes of the voters. I doubt that 10% of the people in the state would support this spending and that the folks who are spending it know that, yet they spend it anyway.

It also goes to show that when the government continues to rob an increasingly amount of money from its citizens to spend on nonsense that the numbers become so large that sizable funds are considered meaningless. "$600m for that off-ramp project? Whats a $million for a few cute squirrels?"

It has to stop. People all over the world are setting serious spending priorities right now. People are cutting back on just about everything that is non-essential, yet the government does not see fit to do so.

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Don't worry.

I'm sure they will add it to the cost of illegals.

Wasting taxpayers money isn't just a federal job. States do it just as well.

Thanks for the story.

Flag

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
i've seen this in canada too. Its really the only way to protect wildlife when you take bare land and start stripping roads across it. I say good idea, but maybe going a bit far with video surveillance of squirrles.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
How much is it going to cost to train all the squirrels to use the bridges?

I'm reminded of a wonderful 911 call by some old lady regarding a Deer Crossing sign. She wanted to report that one particular Deer Crossing wasnt in a very safe place for the deer to be crossing.

Morons with blank checks. No good.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
How about 25 million to relocate 25 tortoises? I work for a company that is engineering a solar power plant on Nevada/California border and our project has been delayed for a year now due to these tortoises. It will cost approximately 1 million to relocate each one of them, next time I am in Mexico I am ordering myself a big bowl of turtle soup

CLICKY

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Last time I checked Arnold was like 6 billion short in his budget.

The states have become federal as well. Just so you know, there is an article/bill on it somewhere. I will try and find it.

States can't borrow from TARP and it's just more BS.

Dam's are falling apart, roads, the oil spill and etc.

It is sad to think poor little squirrels are more important then say, securing the boarder.

But hey, I just live here, I don't make any rules. x.x

[edit on 17-6-2010 by Quickfix]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
States have some weird wasteful projects
they spend money on. Here's one project
being funded in NC.

Study of monkeys using coc aine: $71,623

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This was funded with Fed Gov Stimulus Funds.
Our hard-earned tax dollars at work while
monkeys get high. I wish I could comprehend
how this study is gonna benefit anybody.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by boondock-saint]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan
When will this nonsense stop.

What the heck you talking about. It's humanities damn roads, your damn cars, your damn greed, your damn neeeeeeed to get to walmart to pick up that latest icrap toy, etc. etc. etc. that's destroying squirrels, rain forests, dolphins, turtles, birds, bees, oceans, the air we breath .. etc. etc. etc. etc. What they heck gives any of yous HEWMONS the right to run over other sentient lifeforms on this planet in your needy greedy desires to have one hell of a party down good time here on Earth .. regardless of what it costs to the planet Earth and all her other CITIZEN wildlife creatures? Hum?

I don't think you can do ENOUGH to fix all the wrongs humanity has caused upon this planet. Personally, I hope this gulf oil leak thing turns into an extinction event for 89% of the HEWMONS upon this planet!!!! And I pray for THAT every g.d. day now! Look what humanity has done to the gulf, and for freaking what? CHEAP GAS? Humanity deserves to go to HELL for their crimes against nature!

[edit on 17-6-2010 by Divinorumus]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Divinorumus

i think you're right, way to think outside of the box btw

who's problem is it, the drivers who run over the squirrels? the society that decides a public train system is a waste of money and would rather have millions of drunk and reckless drivers accross the nation every second? we need to rethink EVERYTHING, not just our money spending

personally i care for the squirrels, gotta keep every peice of the circle of life and food web intact, if one peice is missing the whole picture becomes sketchy...

idealy though, i would propose something a little less costly, or more benificial both ways, for instance, squirrels can climb pretty much anything, why not just use very thick rope tied tree to tree?

idk, but why stop at just critisizing our lack of wisdom in spending money?

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by indigothefish
we need to rethink EVERYTHING, not just our money spending

I totally agree. But I know THAT will never happen. While I'm willing to go back to living in a cozy little log cabin on the prairie, I know the majority would never consider doing so, even if it meant extinction if they didn't.

if one peice is missing the whole picture becomes sketchy...

I'd be willing to bet that if humanity disappeared tomorrow, all of Earths problems would disappear .. right along with humanity. I think the planets ecosystem would flourish without any humans what-so-ever in that picture.

idealy though, i would propose something a little less costly, or more benificial both ways,

Ideally, I would propose humanity presses the reset button and start over again .. and your only two industries from that point forward will be agriculture ... and planet restoration.

It sure is mind boggling how some people can be so cruel and heartless when it comes to other sentient life on this planet, huh. So many humans think of themselves as the only species with a right to life here on Earth. And, all their needy little needs and wanty little wants comes above all else .. include their descendants and the condition of the planet they leave behind for them.

Humans are really a disgusting nasty species. It even makes me sick to see them finance their little earth trashing party too, thus leaving all that debt behind for their descendants to deal with after they croak. Can you imagine being born on this planet and immediately discovering your freaking ancestors slipped out the back door leaving YOU to pay for their party.

Really, most of humanity is horrible. Evil and horrible and greedy and selfish and self-gratifying and .... well, I could go on and on and on, but what's the point. The reptilians should come to earth and eat them all .. but again, spare the few like me that would be willing to go and live minimally and in harmony with nature, and not at war with mother nature.

Anyhow, word is, by November of next year, most of humanity will be gone, and good riddance. May mother nature kick most of their asses off the planet. Or, failing that, the NWO!!!

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Cars kill 5 squirrels per year on Mt Graham... How many fall victim to coyotes?

Reinstate the bounty on coyote paws. Seriously, when I was a kid I cleaned house on the coyote paw bounty in NM and I know plenty who did the same in AZ. The coyote has taken on the same existance as rats and cockroaches in the southwest, meaning they will never be threatened regardless of how many are shot, but will frequently experience overpopulation and, as a result, over predate the areas in which they live.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
This is the old depression era comeback.
Spend money on improving the country because thats allowed.
Puts people to work, like making oil booms.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Divinorumus

Species usurp other species every day, through killing them, taking over their habitat, interbreeding, etc.

Why is it only that the spread of the human species is the one that causes concern? Locusts can deforrest an entire plane of plant life, taking the habitat with them. Weeds can choke out hundreds of less aggressive plants and the animals that live off them.

Predators kill prey every day without knowledge if they are killing the last female of the species they plan to eat.

Man is the only species who purposefully takes steps to maintain other species and does so at great expense.

There are like habitats for these squirrels elsewhere. Move them. You want to keep them? Put them in a zoo. Oh I know that the delicate ecosystem in the area will be damaged with out the squirrels. Face it, the 250 squirrels are not doing anything to support the ecosystem in anything but in an extremely marginal manner.

If folks are so fired up about building road bridges, tunnels, fish ladders for these animals, they should open up their own wallets and fund those projects.

You have a car? A TV? Use electicity? Maintain a lawn? Eat processed food? Take medicine (keeping youself alive longer than nature intended), then you are a hipocrate with your humans are evil rubbish

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

Personally I think it is a grand idea.

Much better than spending it on bombs and guns and killing people with them.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by SPACEYstranger
i've seen this in canada too. Its really the only way to protect wildlife when you take bare land and start stripping roads across it. I say good idea, but maybe going a bit far with video surveillance of squirrles.

5 squirrels a year die?
Are you crazy?
There is starving homeless people?
Do you not care about your fellow man?
Have you abandoned your own species?

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
It could turn out that those squirrels are worth more than a billion dollars.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I prefer squirrels over humans in all honesty
1.25M is ridiculous though

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan
Why is it only that the spread of the human species is the one that causes concern? Locusts can deforrest an entire plane of plant life, taking the habitat with them. Weeds can choke out hundreds of less aggressive plants and the animals that live off them.

Are you saying humans are no better than a locusts or weed and shouldn't be held to a higher standard? Do you really expect a locust to live up to the standards that WE should be able to live up to, in so far as our home planet is concerned?

Man is the only species who purposefully takes steps to maintain other species and does so at great expense.

Man is the only creature that takes innocent sentient life and stuffs them into little meat prison farm cages so that one day they can use them to satisfy their zombie cravings for a flesh and blood dinner.

(btw, I'm vegan and have enough will power to resist the temptation to eat death, murder, for dinner .. how about anyone else? no will power? weak willed wussies can't resist the meat temptation)

There are like habitats for these squirrels elsewhere. Move them.

Why the hell should THEY be moved for YOU? I have a better idea. YOU move.

(gawd, I wish I wish I wish the reptilians would come to Earth to harvest some humans, ha)

You have a car?

Barely. Want to trade? BTW, I use no more than 2 gallons of gas a month. And no, that doesn't mean I take the bus. I walk or ride a bike to mostly get around.

A TV?

No. I had to watch CSPAN today on the Internet. My only toys are a computer and camera. No TV. No stereo. No cabin on the lake. No motor boat. No iPhone. No bunch of other stuff too. Listen, I know what humanity is doing to this planet and feel guilty about it, and so I choose to live a minimal lifestyle. Anyone else feel guilty about how humanity is raping the planet for profit and fun fun fun? Probably not.

Use electicity?

Barely. I only have a couple of things that plug into electricity.

Maintain a lawn?

No.

Eat processed food?

Hell no. You think I want to look like a typical fat ass american? NO! I don't even eat meat!

Take medicine

[SNIP]

I lost the urge to rape and pillage the Earth 14 years ago when I decided to, at 39 years old, RETIRE ... and live a modest minimal happy guilt free life, and I'm enjoying the heck out of it.

BTW, I am very much a tree hugger. Nature hugger, that's me! I put nature above my own selfish self-gratifying desires, and I can do that too because I have the will power to resist all these temptations that are destroying this planet. I care about the planet and all her other wildlife citizens, and it ain't lip service caring, which is the case with most.

And that's all I have to say on this here now.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by burdman30ott6]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Guys this has nothing to do with the squirrels.. All these bloated pet projects on the state and federal level - follow the money and you'll find it leads right back into the pockets of the same people who approve these expenditures.

They've all adopted a "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" attitude.

There is a reason why most politicians are business owners and it's the same reason why recession leads to more government spending.

That's right!! When these business men fall on slow financial times they create work using tax payers dollars for their own private businesses.

1.25 million squirrel bridge = 10k on labor + 10k on material + remainder in someone's back pocket.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join