It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 US Troops Charged With Killing Afghan Civilians

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   

5 US Troops Charged With Killing Afghan Civilians

www.rttnews.com

The U.S. Army on Wednesday said five American soldiers had been charged with premeditated murder over the killings of three Afghan civilians at or near Forward Operating Base Ramrod in the country's volatile Kandahar province earlier this year.

According to military charge sheet, which had the names of accusers and officers involved blanked out, three of the soldiers were charged with one count each of premeditated murder, while two others were charged earlier this month with three counts of premeditated murder and one count of assault--all under the Uniform Code of Military Justice.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
english.aljazeera.net
www.armytimes.com
www.telegraph. co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Wikileaks Soldier Reveals Orders for "360 Rotational Fire" Against Civilians in Iraq

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Either our soldiers are "losing their minds" over there or they are just "following orders". Neither is acceptable. These types of acts are only throwing the proverbial fuel on the fire and enraging the citizens of the countries we are waging wars in and supposedly "protecting". Instead, it seems soldiers are just killing whomever they chose in retaliation for certain attacks.

Does anyone think that revelations about these types of events are going to start increasing? It seems like there is some counter-propaganda going on. We get story after story about why we should be in Afghanistan (such as mineral deposit "just found" even though they were known to exist years ago) and now we are hearing more and more of these types of despicable acts by the soldiers.

www.rttnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I'm an iraqi and its important that you know this before you read my reply.

1st of all i'm totally against the killing of civilians and i'd probably do as much as i can to avoid killing an innocent person.

BUT is it really their fault? is it the soldiers fault? I mean who took them to Afghanistan in the 1st place... you see if they werent there then that would of never happened and they wouldnt have to carry the world on their soldiers.

someone once said that there are no rules in war. bad things happen.

those soldiers are humans, they get sent to a country where they come out dead, paralysis, or scarred in the brain. and now they get set orders and charged for a mistake.

will you americans go find george bush and take him to court were eventually, and i'm sure of this, he'll be sentenced to death for crimes against humanity.

dont blame it all on obama, seems like hes trying to make things better but its easier to destroy a house than build one. bush destroyed it all!

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
IMO, if they did wrong, they need to be held accountable for their action.

I only hope hope that they start going after those giving the command as well. For the most part, those giving the command are usually the ones who get promoted while the lower ranks get prosecuted.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by RizeorDie

I completely agree. Like I said in my OP, it is as if they are losing their minds. What I meant was that I'm sure they are having severe mental issues due to the atrocities they are subjected to every single day (the same thing goes for the citizens of the country). The articles state that there particular brigade has experience a high instance of death among the troops. Like I said, they are probably experiencing some severe PTSD and taking it out on anyone who looks at them the wrong way or just simply looks wrong.

I'm totally with you

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by RizeorDie

I blame it on Obama for making it worse by sending more troops and the murdering and assassination of the Taliban fighters and Al Qaeda in Pakistan which is not at war with U.S.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

I also blame it on the people, like me, who chastized and even loathed Bush because of this war and now that Obama is in office, it is like all those same people just went back to sleep as if the nightmare was over. It's like they think it's Bush's war, Obama has nothing to do with it. Time for sleepy time.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Even though it cant bring back the dead its a start.. Now when are they going to have the trials for the war criminals who started it all, and the war criminals in d.c and the pentagon continuing to run it.. All of them need to be tried for their warcrimes and crimes against humanity..

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

I agree but I think this story highlights the ENORMOUS pressure our guys are under while the top dawgs sit in their cozy, air conditioned offices getting most of the credit for any victories.

top topics

join