It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rep. Joe Barton has just apolgized to BP for "Shakedown" What!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
All you that disagree with the Barton Apology are anarchists. The law specifically spells out BPs liability at 75million dollars. What Barton apologized for was the obvious shakedown by the Obama Regime in the amount of 20Billion. This denies BP protection of the law, of which they are only responsible for 75 million. Get mad at the entire Congress for the lack of foresight to place this above the 75million mark, not just Barton. Now, if BP voluntarily offered up the 20billion (which I doubt) the Barton apology may be unfounded, but how likely is that?

[edit on 17-6-2010 by croweboy]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
BP’s oil leak was an accident! The government should not force a company to set up an account for victims. Did you hear what one of the Dem reps say to the poor BP CEO guy? “Instead of asking for your resignation, back in the samurai days we would just give you a sword and you would take care of the rest.” What the hell is this a witch hunt? IT WAS AN ACCIDENT! It was not done on purpose. If it was done on purpose then they should pay but mother nature is to blame because she decided to burp at 5,000 ft below the ocean.

I would go as far as to blame the demarcates and the green peace movement! If they did not force oil companies off U.S shores into international waters to drill this would not have happened in the first place. If a well like this blew on land all we would have to do is bulldoze a mound of dirt on the well and be done with it. Stop hating on BP.

Huh??? An accident it may have been -

But an accident that was COMPLETELY avoidable!! This 'accident' occurred due to BP's long, long history of total disregard for safety and regulations. Plenty of BP employees have attested to this over and over. Of COURSE BP are to blame!

[edit on 17-6-2010 by camaro68ss]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by croweboy
All you that disagree with the Barton Apology are anarchists. The law specifically spells out BPs liability at 75million dollars. What Barton apologized for was the obvious shakedown by the Obama Regime in the amount of 20Billion. This denies BP protection of the law, of which they are only responsible for 75 million. Get mad at the entire Congress for the lack of foresight to place this above the 75million mark, not just Barton. Now, if BP voluntarily offered up the 20billion (which I doubt) the Barton apology may be unfounded, but how likely is that?

Laws can be changed any time they are deemed ineffective or outdated. That is one of the prime functions of any Government.

These laws HAVE to be changed now. That much is obvious.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Anarchists? Really?

Baloney, and you know it. Had it been a republican President who 'negotiated' the $20B he would have praised it as a act of utter sacrifice and commitment to the small people.

This was a political move and an anti-democrat move. That's all.
I'm just surprised he didn't call Hayward by his first name...They seem to be more than just passing acquaintances.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by croweboy

Actually BP was more worried about the information below than paying the $75 million dollar cap. Doesn't matter who is in power; it could be enacted by either Democrats or Republicans, and BP knew that, so they went along with the President's idea of the $20 billion dollar fund. Which is why I have been an Independent for more than 15 years. You tend to evaluate things not from the standpoint of a Republican or Democratic party perspective, but from the way things are. Do you know how many billions of dollars each year BP makes from our Department of Defense oil purchases for government/military useage alone?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Misc. Information :

"Federal law allows agencies to suspend or bar from government contracts companies that engage in fraudulent, reckless or criminal conduct. The sanctions can be applied to a single facility or an entire corporation. Government agencies have the power to forbid a company to collect any benefit from the federal government in the forms of contracts, land leases, drilling rights, or loans.

The most serious, sweeping kind of suspension is called "discretionary debarment" and it is applied to an entire company. If this were imposed on BP, it would cancel not only the company's contracts to sell fuel to the military but prohibit BP from leasing or renewing drilling leases on federal land. In the worst case, it could also lead to the cancellation of BP's existing federal leases, worth billions of dollars."

Source: gcaptain.com...

[edit on 17-6-2010 by manta78]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

BP’s oil leak was an accident! The government should not force a company to set up an account for victims. Did you hear what one of the Dem reps say to the poor BP CEO guy? “Instead of asking for your resignation, back in the samurai days we would just give you a sword and you would take care of the rest.” What the hell is this a witch hunt? IT WAS AN ACCIDENT! It was not done on purpose. If it was done on purpose then they should pay but mother nature is to blame because she decided to burp at 5,000 ft below the ocean.

I would go as far as to blame the demarcates and the green peace movement! If they did not force oil companies off U.S shores into international waters to drill this would not have happened in the first place. If a well like this blew on land all we would have to do is bulldoze a mound of dirt on the well and be done with it. Stop hating on BP.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by camaro68ss]

No... this was not an accident...

You see an Accident is something you don't see coming...

BP leaders were told over and over this was going to happen if they continued...

yet they continued.... hence... it's not an accident...

You really need to better understand the situation prior to making claims

The goverment gave the site a safty award 1 week before it blew. the goverment and the DEM's are at falt

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Breaking new development:

Looks like this Representative has realized the error of his ways and done a quick politician-style 180-degree turn: He has now apoplogized for his apology! Oceana has always been at war with Eurasia, comerades! Four legs good two legs better!

...As Barton returned to the committee, the leaders issued their own statement: "Congressman Barton's statements this morning were wrong."

By midafternoon, Barton was back on the dais with a statement that was something short of what the leaders had demanded.

"I want the record to be absolutely clear that I think BP is responsible for this accident," he said. "If anything I said this morning has been misconstrued, in opposite effect, I want to apologize for that misconstruction."

More at the source.

[edit on 6/17/10 by silent thunder]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

The fact is that BP cut corners to produce faster. They skipped steps in safety regulations to save money. They didn't even have a relief well like they're suppose too. There oil rig which is looked at under international maritime law is registered in the Marshall Islands, they don't have ANY regulation of the oil industry. Tony Hayward should be in jail along with all the other executives of the company. It's money should be seized and the company should solely work on the damage it has done until they have nothing left or there is no more oil left on our shores. They should stop all other oil production and seize to be a company any more.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ssThe goverment gave the site a safty award 1 week before it blew. the goverment and the DEM's are at falt

Do us all a favor and lay in front of your Camaro, before launching it into gear.

By the way it's spelled GoverNment and SafEty. Don't forget FaUlt has a U in it.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by realmatrix

What you have witnessed is the result of how the pimps in walking the hall in congress hold power on the whores that run our government.

The Republican party is the party of big oil interest, how dare Rep. Joe Barton to bite the hand that feed him

Wake up people and if anybody think that Democrats and Republicans or any political party in this nation holds the well being of the citizens and "littler people" at hart you better come out of that apathy that has take over many of you and see what America politics smell like in reality, nothing but crap

[edit on 18-6-2010 by marg6043]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   

BP’s oil leak was an accident! The government should not force a company to set up an account for victims.

Right...like if you have a bomb making factory, and due to your incredible inept practice, it blows up, spewing forth tons of chemicals scorching the earth for miles around, you shouldn't be liable for the damage you do..

or if I am playing with a gun and start shooting it randomly in the center of a city, accidently hitting people, I shouldn't be liable for all the people that got hit because its an accident...whoopsie...

lol...your a funny sort of troll, arentcha...I assume your entire post was either complete toungue in cheek sarcasm, or perhaps one of the most retarded posts I have read in awhile (not alltime mind you, just in awhile)...but ya...must have been a joke...had to be...I refuse to believe statements that dumb can come from anyone whom has the congative ability to use a computer in the first place

-add: Oh, and Welcome to ATS...deny ignorance.

[edit on 18-6-2010 by SaturnFX]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Actually it was one of the main faces in CNBC news that was screaming at how the CEO of BP was been treated by the congress panel, as CEOs do not have to be forced into any kind of bad treatment.

Actually, he was right to a point, the company is the one that is held accountable, CEOs are just that big rats that makes a lot of money but the decisions comes from those that holds the highest shares in the company.

If we were to bring the biggest share holders in the company of BP a lot of very American familiar faces will be exposed.

And Halliburton representatives should have been there also

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I just love how the bloke said his statements were misconstrued.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   

BP’s oil leak was an accident!

"egregious, willful safety violations" over the same period of time by oil corporation.

BP 760
Sunoco 8
ConocoPhillips 8
Citago 2
Exxon 1

Awe, poor BP was obviously doing its best and making safety priority number one. So what was everyone else doing?

[edit on 18-6-2010 by K J Gunderson]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   

All you that disagree with the Barton Apology are anarchists. The law specifically spells out BPs liability at 75million dollars.

Unless there are victims. That part is kind of important. Ask the Exxon Valdez victims how it easy it was to get what they were owed due to the negligence of the company? BP is still liable for victims that it creates - above and beyond that 75million dollars. This "Shakedown" is just a way to make sure that unlike last time, the company does not stretch it out until everyone is broke and dead first.

That liability cap does not immunize BP against victim settlements and if you think there will not be any.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
What a GOP corporate whore from Texas.

(as opposed to Democratic corporate whores)

He doesn't even bother to keep his corporate pud licking in private.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by croweboy

The law? Whose law? Who supported this law? Made this law? Bought this law? Not me. Not anyone I know who is "represented" in this crooked, purchased, and blackmailed congress. The law. Pffffffffft.

[edit on 18-6-2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Just a followup...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join