It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Lawmakers Warn Turkey on Mideast (Israel)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   

US Lawmakers Warn Turkey on Mideast (Israel)

www.newsmaxworld.com

U.S. lawmakers warned Turkey that its ties with Washington would suffer if it continued on what they considered an anti-Israel path.

"There will be a cost if Turkey stays on its present heading of growing closer to Iran and more antagonistic to the state of Israel," Representative Mike Pence, the No. 3 Republican in the U.S. House of Representatives, said.

At a news conference, Republicans and Democrats denounced NATO ally Turkey for supporting an aid convoy of ships that recently...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
The NYT and the Flotilla Inquiry (the conspiracy)
Israeli - Palestinian conflict by the numbers (The numbers don't lie)
As Israel kills and maims, outrage is directed at Helen Thomas (orchestrated by Ari Fleischer)
Israeli eases Gaza blockade on some banned food items, critics say move insignificant

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   

The lawmakers also criticized Turkey's opposition to a recent U.N. Security Council resolution extending punitive sanctions on Iran for its secretive nuclear program. The U.N. resolution was strongly backed by Washington, which suspects Iran of trying to develop atomic bombs.

Democratic Representative Eliot Engel called Turkey's actions "disgraceful," adding that although Ankara was a member of NATO, it had stopped looking westward.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is how America gets other countries to go along with policies that it may not agree with. What's wrong with Turkey taking the moral side of an argument, especially after Israel has committed an act of war against Turkey? What is this whole, "don't criticize Israel's genocidal policies or else we won't do business with you" business? Trying to intimidate other countries into going along with terrorism? I'm sure this is just a shot over the bow for the time being, while more stern and frank warnings are going on behind closed doors.

For anyone who ever questioned why other Islamic countries don't rush to the aid of the Palestinian people, it's because their Emperor, Obama, and his government threaten their economy.

As for the cost Turkey might pay for its stance, Pence said he was ready to reevaluate his past reluctance to support a congressional resolution denouncing as genocide the World War I-era killings of Armenians by Ottoman forces.

The largely symbolic resolution passed a House committee in March, but amid protests from Ankara, the House Democratic leadership never brought it to the chamber's floor for a vote.

What are they going to do, roll it up and poke them with it?

The lawmakers said on Wednesday that 126 members of the House of Representatives had signed a letter urging President Obama to oppose international condemnation of Israel over its role in seizing the aid ships last month and forcing them to dock in Israeli ports.

Nine people were killed aboard one vessel, the Turkish-registered Mavi Mara, provoking an international outcry. Israel says its commandos acted in self-defense.

One pro-Israel lobby group in Washington, J Street, took a different view, suggesting some lawmakers' statements about the Gaza flotilla were "drafted primarily for domestic political consumption" instead of advancing Middle East peace.

The group's president Jeremy Ben-Ami urged U.S. lawmakers to express "more nuanced views of the situation that might emphasize the urgency of American leadership to end the Israeli-Palestinian conflict through two states."

This is absolutely crazy. This is how the US is keeping justice from being served, by basically telling other countries to "shut up". We already see the propaganda machine in full-blown action by both America and Israel. Now, the diplomatic machine goes to work, ensuring that other countries don't do what they are supposed to do. All in the name of Israel's campaign of genocide against the Palestinian people.

--airspoon

www.newsmaxworld.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
This news makes me happy.

Turkey is obviously trying to start a war under the false flag of humanitarianism.

Mark my words, Israel will not let themselves be surprise attacked by cowards again.

Expect a pre-emptive strike by Israel in the near future.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by heyJude

Mark my words, Israel will not let themselves be surprise attacked by cowards again.

I'm sorry, when exactly did Israel ever get "attacked"? In the history of Israel's wars, Israel has been the agressor and the one to strike first.

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
The veto power states use this in the political arena all the time, not only the US but Russia and China continually undermine progress by threatening other nations in the UN, it is common. Turkey really should be looking to get uninvolved.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Grrr....I'm so frustrated about this whole situation right now.

Turkish citizens were murdered trying to bring humanitarian aid to Gaza and their government is told to shut up about it or face consequences by.... the US!!! So how in the flippin world do we have the right to tell them they can't complain about the atrocities committed against their own citizens and why the hell is our government not outraged that American citizens were also attacked on this flotilla? Where's the justice for them?

Where is the justice for any of these people. I am so sick and tired of Israel doing what ever the hell it wants, whenever it wants and if ANYONE speaks out against it they are labeled as terrorist and anti-semites.

I am really starting to think this incident was nothing more than an intentional provocation to heat things up to give Israel a reason to attack Iran AND I fully believe the US was fully aware of what was going to happen. Yes, I am saying this was a planned incident.

My thread regarding the allegations of this being planned

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
reply to post by heyJude

I'm sorry, when exactly did Israel ever get "attacked"? In the history of Israel's wars, Israel has been the agressor and the one to strike first.

--airspoon

The Yom Kippur War
en.wikipedia.org...

The war began with a massive and successful Egyptian attack across the heavily-fortified Suez Canal during the first three days, after which they dug in, and the southern front settled into a stalemate. In the north, the Syrians simultaneously attacked the critical Golan Heights and initially achieved threatening gains, after which their momentum waned.

They caught them by surprise while the whole country was observing their most important holiday, and still the result was a humiliating Arab deafeat.

Even with the complete surprise attack, and unbalanced strength in numbers and equipment.

Defense strategist Kenneth Pollack notes that, "Although the Egyptians continue to tout the Yom Kippur War as a great victory, in truth, their successes were modest and their failures equal or greater than their achievements."[207] As for the Syrians, Pollack notes that, "Syrian forces performed extremely poorly against the highly skilled Israelis." He further states that, "more than anyting else, this huge imbalance between Syrian incompetence and Israeli hypercompetence led inexorably to Syria's defeat."[208] According to Pollack, "Syrian tactical capabilities were so poor that they took good Soviet tactics and made them bad and took bad Soviet tactics and made them worse."

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   

reply to post by heyJude

--airspoon

Dude no offence but you are just making stuff up or you are to ingnorant to be commenting on this topic. Just all the way around.

But my favorite today is Turkey-moral-genocide.
You got some nerve.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
LOL Idiotic USA at it again. IF turkey leaves nato alliance then nato has no key stragetic positions in the ME and that Turkey could strike an alliance with russia or china.... If turkey feels that Nato is no longer working for them but against them then who could blame them.

[edit on 17/6/2010 by loner007]

link   

Originally posted by heyJude

this is Turkey, NATO member, 2nd largest army in NATO
Air force that is trained to the same extent as israeli pilots (larger airforce)
a navy which is larger then Israel

lets see how israel fairs against a country with a real militray compared to
a militia armed with small arms and home made rockets.

hope they get their asses handed to them on a silver platter.

link   

Turkey is obviously trying to start a war under the false flag of humanitarianism.

I'm sorry death and violence makes you happy.

You haven't even considered that maybe ISRAEL is the one "trying to start a war under the false flag" of attacking a humanitarian ship on INTERNATIONAL WATERS?

Israel was not "surprise attacked". They boarded a ship full of people defending themselves against commandos with fully automatic weapons. You don't think the flotilla was "surprise attacked". I didn't hear of anyone shooting at the Israeli ships. There weren't any military commandos with bullets between THEIR eyes.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Logarock

Dude no offence but you are just making stuff up or you are to ingnorant to be commenting on this topic. Just all the way around.

You got some nerve.

no offence

To ingnorant

offence

ingnorant

Ironic, don't you think?

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

this country can Kill US military personal and get away with it
they can sell US military secrets to other countries

if they can back stab the US like that and many other ways
with the US admin still kissing the grounds the israelis walk on, you really think a few dead forign citizens will effect how the US thinks?

[edit on 17-6-2010 by illusive man]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I bet it was the same lawmakers that are in office only because they are financially and politically backed by the AIPAC (American Israel Public Affairs Committee). By the way there are about 300 of them.

(Nearly 300 Congress members declare commitment to 'unbreakable' U.S.-Israel bond)
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Google AIPAC. America’s Pro-Israel Lobby.
www.aipac.org...

This is their propaganda of your OP.

Lawmakers Slam Turkey Over Iran Ties

Members of Congress on Wednesday blasted Turkey for its role in the Gaza flotilla and for strengthening its ties with Iran, Agence France Presse reported. In recent weeks, Turkey helped broker a deal for Iran to keep enough enriched uranium for one nuclear weapon, voted against U.N. Security Council sanctions on Iran's nuclear program and recalled its envoy from Israel in the aftermath of the flotilla. "If we look at what the Turkish government has done in the past couple of years: they certainly have a very strong Islamic bent, but a bent in terms of looking towards Iran, and looking towards the Middle East, and not looking at the West and NATO anymore," said Rep. Eliot Engel (D-NY). Rep. Mike Pence (R-IN) also had a firm warning for Turkey. "There will be a cost if Turkey stays on its present heading of growing closer to Iran and more antagonistic to the state of Israel," he said.

LOL! So, we can have a Pro-Israel committee to pay congress to support Israel no matter what, but if anyone tried to develop an Anti-Israel committee because of their terrorist actions they would scream Anti-Semitic Nazis. You would probably get charged with hate crimes and end up in jail. This country is screwed.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by tooo many pills]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   

How, in any way, can this news make you happy ?

And who says it's a "false" flag of humanitarianism ? You ?

Israel . . . :God's Chosen . . . yeah right. ( A better "choice" could've
been made I think )

I would've liked to have seen the House urge "support" for the
international condemnation of Israel's actions.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by nunya13

I'm sorry death and violence makes you happy.

I never said that. Next.

You haven't even considered that maybe ISRAEL is the one "trying to start a war under the false flag" of attacking a humanitarian ship on INTERNATIONAL WATERS?

How are they trying to start a war? They stopped a ship from breaking through the blockade, which is illegal by the way.

The crews in the flotilla knew what they were doing, I don't know why the results were surprising, and shocking to you.

The Tukish government knew that Israel would react that way. It plays into their plans.

Israel was not "surprise attacked". They boarded a ship full of people defending themselves against commandos with fully automatic weapons. You don't think the flotilla was "surprise attacked". I didn't hear of anyone shooting at the Israeli ships. There weren't any military commandos with bullets between THEIR eyes.

I never said that the flotilla was a "surprise attack". And you're right, they didn't shoot at the Israeli ships, they just attacked the commandos with Iron Bars and Knives. Peace activists hm?

Israel has every right to use force to defend their country. There are too many threats to their country, and they know the caust of letting their guard down.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by heyJude

What a load of crap,the Isreali's are the biggest cowards in world killing women and children,also only time they attack is on un armed foe,if the world needed an enema they would give it in Isreal

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Completely pitiful. This is the kind of crap that will be changed in the history books in about 20 years. Our kids will be taught that the aid ship was a terrorist attack and that Israel defended itself in heroic fashion.

I feel for the regular people in Israel, they're obviously stuck in a similar pridicament as we are in the US, an out of control government that just doesn't make any sense at all.

EDIT - Thought this link was appropriate.

www.ifamericansknew.org...

[edit on 17-6-2010 by TheFinalTruth14]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Logarock

reply to post by heyJude

I'm sorry, when exactly did Israel ever get "attacked"? In the history of Israel's wars, Israel has been the aggressor and the one to strike first.

--airspoon

Dude no offence but you are just making stuff up or you are to ignorant to be commenting on this topic. Just all the way around.

You got some nerve.

Are you serious? Can you accurately answer the questioned posed? I sure didn't see it in your post.

As far as morality, it is definitely arguable that taking the side of aid workers being murdered in an incident that could be considered an act of war, is taking the moral high-ground.

Moving along to genocide, the very definition of the term according to Merriam-Webster: the deliberate and systematic destruction of a racial, political, or cultural group
Source: www.merriam-webster.com...

Given that you now can not claim ignorance as to the definition of genocide, which part of Israel's policies towards the Palestinians could not be considered genocide or directly relating to genocide? Might you claim that Merriam-Webster is now an anti-semitic organization?

It appears from your post that ignorance can be found closer to home that you think. Of course those stung by the spell of ignorance, can't even realize it.

“Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.” --Confucius

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Are you serious? Can you accurately answer the questioned posed? I sure didn't see it in your post.

Are you ignoring my reply to your question?

And there's a difference between Pre-Emptive strikes, and "being the agressor and the one to strike first." as you put it.

They only attacked, when there was an emediate threat to their country, and not acting, would spell disaster.

Come on man, deny ignorance.

When Israel was created, the neighboring Muslim nations emediatly declared war on Israel.

Subsequently, Arab Radio broadcasted messages enticing the Muslim residents of Israel to "run to the boarders and help them fight the enemy".

Israel reacted to these broadcasts by making broadcasts of their own, telling the Muslim residents to "do not run to the boarders, you will be treated equally, we will protect you".

What happened? Tens of thousands of Muslim residents ran to the boarders.

When the battle began, Israel, alone, humiliatingly defeated the agressors. What happened? The Muslims who ran to help the invaders tried to go back into Israel after they were defeated.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join