It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ground breaking technology...Minority Report computing...Are we ready for this???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
John Underkoffler, one of the science advisers for the Steven Spielberg science-fiction film "Minority Report," gave a fascinating TED talk in February in which he demonstrated a computer interface much like the one he helped design for the movie. The first five minutes are background information about the technology and how far it has come. Six minutes in is where the demonstration of the new system begins. Underkoffler answers questions at the end of the talk. He insists that this technology cannot be for corporations alone; it must be useful for the general public as well.

Sorry guys...I don't know how to upload a video. My apologies! So I included the link in order for you to view the video. This is really cool!!!!!

The video is about 15 minutes long, but I assure you its worth the watch. Just to give you the heads up...in my opinion, the really cool stuff starts happening in the last half of the video!

www.huffingtonpost.com...

[edit on 17-6-2010 by Historymajor]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Historymajor

I personally don't think such control interfaces will ever be commonplace because your arms get tired very quickly as anyone that uses touch screens will attest to.

It looks very impressive though.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightFantastic
reply to post by Historymajor

I personally don't think such control interfaces will ever be commonplace because your arms get tired very quickly as anyone that uses touch screens will attest to.

It looks very impressive though.

I actualluy beg to differ. I mean look at the Wii...people said the same thing about that, and it has done quite well. People had been using a remote control since Atari...then Wii changed the way we play games. An interactive approach. Right now, we're use to the right click and left click, I definitely think this will make its way into the homes of people all around the world and change the way we compute and communicate with the world. This is the next thing...the way we use our computers today, our kids will use these in the future...and I can't even imagine what our kid's kids will use!

But like you said...it is quite impressive!

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by LightFantastic

I personally don't think such control interfaces will ever be
commonplace because your arms get tired very quickly as
anyone that uses touch screens will attest to.

"The horse is here to stay, but the automobile is only a novelty - a fad."
--Horace Rackham, 1903

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I saw a ted talks vid not long ago about "claytronics"
ever see that?
That is insane stuff!!

cool post, thanks!

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Historymajor
I actualluy beg to differ. I mean look at the Wii...people said the same thing about that, and it has done quite well.

People may swing the Wiimote around on adverts but anyone that has played it a for while tends to play with tiny flicks in my experience.

On the other hand the new Xbox control interface has just been announced and there is no getting away with tiny movements on that.

So maybe HMIs such as the one in the OP may be used for intermittent control but I'm sure I wouldn't want to use one for 8 hours a day.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordBucket

--Horace Rackham, 1903

Yes I think I shot myself in the foot there, especially after reading about the new Xbox interface yesterday!

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordBucket

--Horace Rackham, 1903

Great quote! That one sentence says so much!

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Computers are headed into full 3D environments in the not to distant future.

Data storage, processing, interfacing, transmission...all of these architectures are changing. They have to. The 20th century models are outdated and mundane. Keyboards and mice are only such common standards because touch tech and motion control are still infantile in their design.

Just think about this. 10 years ago, having a single unit that housed the computer, video, transmission, and interface were limited to laptops. Now, they are all-in-one touch tech computers that you can hang on a wall.

5 years ago, smart walls were the great sci fi gadgetry, but now classrooms are using them to replace the chalk and board.

5 years from now, touch tech will be a lot more user friendly and accessible, and not as clunky and hard to deal with.

10 years from now, spacial barriers will give way to full 3 dimensional interaction between the human and the machine.

I for one am excited to see these leaps from science fiction to science fact.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by wheresthetruth

definitely.

Another TED talks I watched talked about computers actually replicating themselves,
and anything else we want them to replicate..
and they are working on this now, today!
Like 10 years we will be seeing it .

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahmose
I saw a ted talks vid not long ago about "claytronics"
ever see that?
That is insane stuff!!

cool post, thanks!

I haven't seen that...but I'm going to look it up. TED talks is super cool and has always presented the world with cutting edge technology. Thanks for the tip!

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by wheresthetruth
Computers are headed into full 3D environments in the not to distant future.

Data storage, processing, interfacing, transmission...all of these architectures are changing. They have to. The 20th century models are outdated and mundane. Keyboards and mice are only such common standards because touch tech and motion control are still infantile in their design.

Just think about this. 10 years ago, having a single unit that housed the computer, video, transmission, and interface were limited to laptops. Now, they are all-in-one touch tech computers that you can hang on a wall.

5 years ago, smart walls were the great sci fi gadgetry, but now classrooms are using them to replace the chalk and board.

5 years from now, touch tech will be a lot more user friendly and accessible, and not as clunky and hard to deal with.

10 years from now, spacial barriers will give way to full 3 dimensional interaction between the human and the machine.

I for one am excited to see these leaps from science fiction to science fact.

I concur! Its amazing how science fiction makes its way into the real world. You have to wonder...where did those writers and directors get these ideas. Its like every time we different types of technologies in movies, we see them in real life a few years later. Its almost like they're conditioning us for whats to come! I guess i'm still waiting for the flying cars! And the homes in the skies lol

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

There you go!

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

Thanks kiddo...I appreciate that!

top topics

join