It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If the internet is shut down... we need to find a way to communicate

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

They better have a satellite in orbit that NSA doesn't know about. That is the only way communication can go overseas without NSA knowledge.

All communication lines overseas are monitored. If the Pres said shut down internet. It is down.

One method that may work if you find anyone transmitting analog TV signals still. Data can be piggybacked.
Maybe that is why the US has moved to Digital TV for ease of data control.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
There are HF networks set up to transmit email. Some of these nets are somewhat secure to very secure. Packet nets run on different bands from hf to uhf. These are digital in nature, not voice. Then, with the right radio, you can talk to or hear people talking, for thousands of miles.

You could also use site to site satellite communication. You need a decent ground station but not insurmountable and this can be somewhat very hard to track.

Communications is not the problem. You just need to know someone who knows about this.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by hinky

Tada. You now know someone that knows about that. I have been an Avionics Technician / Engineer for over 25 years.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
If Obama shuts off the internet then i am calling my cable company up and having it removed from my account. and if you want another way to communicate i would suggest getting into CB radios. it's old school but obama can't shut it down.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Have you ever been on IRC whats plit net and who does that if one can do that they can surely shut it down..i dunno

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I just had to jump in here. What would people do if the internet no longer existed? What did people do before there was an internet? They communicated via the telephone and by the good old U.S. Postal Service! I actually know people who have no computer, no television, no cable and no cell phone, and they manage to communicate with others just fine.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I already made a thread about this a few months ago and we came to the conclusion that internet using radio is possible (RLAN),using things like packet radio, pactor protocols, video transmission...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Oh my god! No internet! what ever would we do?

Probably just look back 15 years and do what we did then.

We managed 1.5 million years without it, so I'm sure we'd cope

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I plan on getting a couple CBs and a shortwave radio. I don't have the time, space, money to invest in a HAM set up.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
I think something like Bluetooth could play a vital role in such a scenario.
The only thing is I figure is there would need to be a way of repeating the signal to allow it to travel a great distance or at least beyond the local level.
Maybe we'll see a rise in BBS again, or BBBS for Bluetooth BBS.

I can see the potential of BBSs making a comeback. I ran one for about 5 or 6 years, and did the whole WorldNet, USEnet, HoloNet and FIDOnet packet communications. If they also get a wild hair up their nose and decide to jump after phone lines next, then we're back to drums and horseback messengers, maybe smoke signals. If you have a good CB that's a plus, as well as a shortwave broadcaster.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
write on walls, smoke signals, morse code banged against pipes, shouting, radio waves, cut the power back on and fight your way to the local tv station and learn how to broadcast on the spot, ( similar action could be taken on the local radio stations as well)... probably land lines... body language, (observed from roofs, hills, viewable distances...) guns shots (or more precise warning shots)

well i'm not sure how they can actually shut down the internet, if there is power and computers are connecting to routers and switches, that also have power... i assume there will still be a bit or internet left...

however for most people if they just turned off the googles servers for a week they would actually think the internet was shut down...

for those with no knowedge they'd just have a LAN... if they dont know how to get passed the Central Office at the end of the block... thats where the real connections are... if core routers for major ISP went down, im sure some areas would at least still be left with a MAN...

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
if they truly shut down the net, it's going to be really bad.. almost every business in the USA requires internet access to function now a days.. if its that bad.. it wont matter you should be hunkered down at home or in you safe location, working you food stuffs and cleaning you guns..

In this day and age the internet is a requirement for business.. and also a requirement for getting business.. if it shuts down.. most online based businesses will just shut the doors, the ripple effect from that would be massive economically. Even business that does online and offline business will suffer greatly.. the company I work for 10 years ago did 0% sales online, I personally put in online ordering and with in a money 70% of sales were online , and now 98% of our sales are taken online.. not to methin all the self serve tools and information for our customers... the change to the business even in the first year was massive.. totally changed the labor needs for customer service etc... streamlined the business greatly.. If business needed to go back to all phone orders ect.. it would be a massive disruption, I know our company would not even have enough space to put enough customer service reps to take all the orders.. not even if we filled out warehouse with desks and phones would we have enough space..

Like i said if it got that bad .. it would not matter.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
You know, if the internet were to be shut down/taken over by the government or some other outside entity, I think that our communication with each other will actually evolve into something greater. We already have a network of friends all around the world in some cases. We will have the desire to keep communicating and in many cases our communication will become higher quality.

I'm not talking facebook/myspace "friends." People will go back to how communication was before but the difference is that we will know that there are others out there like us. Just look here, on this very site. We all have a common desire to find out the truth and we all will do everything we can to find it.

Before we had the internet many of us around the world had no idea what other places were really like or what the people were like. You can "travel" at the click of a button using programs like google earth. You can talk instantly with someone literally, on the other side of the world with your various chat programs/plug-ins. I do it just about every week with one of my friends who is 8000 miles away from me.

If the government or some other entity were to shut down the internet or take it over, it will be absolute suicide, it would just backfire because of the magnificent personal networks we have already set up. I've met countless people who have common grounds with me just by mentioning a few topics/websites including this one. We would then be able to put faces and voices to those we only see on these forums. We would meet in common areas, we would set up a whole different kind of network. Many of us who are technically gifted(as mentioned by a few already on this topic) would be able to makeshift a new/old kind of technology and through sheer word of mouth a new network would be born. People are survivors when given the chance to be one as long as they have some desire to live and think just a little.

I think this would create a total up-stir because unlike China, who were regulated from the get go, we've had an open society on the internet for FAR too long and as long as we get pissed off enough and, in a way, tell the government to [bleep] off, they will have no power whatsoever. There are too many of us spread throughout the country. I have a feeling we'll be fine on this front.

The only ways I can see this working in the government's favor is if they go door to door and to searches all the time or if they shut the power down. They may have the tech to do that but NOT the manpower. BUT let's say they have everything they need, if you're cleaver enough to hide the technology and have an external power source like a decent solar panel, you're good to go.

Also if it gets REAL bad, just keep your gun ready by your side at all times since it would lead to a total economic collapse in areas like silicon valley with companies that are HUGE and NEED the internet to survive......except Google, they'll just officially merge with the thought police.....I mean NSA.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
To all of the people in this thread posting "It's not possible", actually it is very possible. Shutting down the main hubs of all the internet companies and lines across the U.S is perfectly plausible. To the person who posted the reply about our TV's going digital, you bring up a very rousing point. This is yet another way for the few to control the masses. Lets actually think about this here for a minute. While its safe to say not everything will suffer greatly. A majority of our companies will suffer. This would be a HUGE deal as a lot of things would just halt across the United states.

So lets go back for a minute. On September 11th...What happened to the phone lines in NYC and the 911 phone operators? They got so overwhelmed from the amount if callers that in some cases it was impossible to get in touch with people. Now imagine everyone in the U.S all calling at around the same time...lets say within an hour time frame. Business' would be calling companies, friends would be calling friends complaining how they don't have internet, ect ect. Worst of all, the one thing we have left in this country that is almost truly considered freedom of speech IS the internet.

We would all be forced to receive our information from non credible sources such as Fox News and the other major TV stations that spew out BS and half truths. Then staying informed would become a game of "find the credible facts".

I know for a fact the president does know how much of an effect this would have on our economy and our way of living. But given his current and past track record, do you really think he gives a damn? Maybe this is all just "part of the plan" that will set the rest in motion. Why else would we need to shut the internet down unless there was some ulterior motive? We have been doing fine with it for the past 2 decades. Just my 2 cents on it...responses?

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
be careful what you say!!!
they wont this information as much as us.
if the government know how to stop are back up
communications we will have nothing at all.

we really could do with a privet internet.
this one is not secure at all.
the internet make a lot of money.
maybe Iceland could do it?
they are trying to make a safe haven for the internet!
I dont think it would be that hard.
easy way would be to ring the person who you wont to send the info to.
and link computers.
and use a different method to what they use now.
different sound/ code.
but they just shout down the phones to!

I think we should use some thing like that now.
I bet they do.

[edit on 18-7-2010 by buddha]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Not to be a naysayer, but the physical act of shutting down the internet is impossible, it is a world wide event now, and the only way it would happen is if the world everywhere shut it down and even then it would still exist in its basic form. Now taking out the power grid, or E.M.P. Pulse would be more effective in shutting down the internet. But that cuts the power source not the information itself.

But to add to this, if it did happen (improbable as it is) I would say that a private owned mailing system, or even telegraphs, we still have miles of telegraphs in working repair incase of an event like E.M.P Pulses, or nuclear war.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Private networks such as darknets and the lot are possible to stay connected but if the government wanted to shut the United States Internet down, it is very possible. Ask a tech in an Internet provider company about this and he'll tell you the same. Your right that its a world wide event now. But we are only talking about the U.S. not the worlds network. The Protecting Cyberspace as a National Asset act is referring to the United States if you read it. Now taking out the power grids and using EMP is possible but unlikely to be used since the govt. would need their local state and federal assets to keep things "Civil" so to speak. Besides, have you seen an EMP go off before? It disables ALL electronics within the radius, its kind of the "Put us back in the stone age" type of weapon. Kind of counter productive for us all i would think

Mod Edit: Removed needless quote from the post above.

Please read:

Quote the post immediately before yours: This makes no sense, and quoting the entire previous post above yours will result in a slight warning.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 2010/8/2 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
This is true, but wouldn't that mean you would still have access to the internet then, if all they would do is shut down the US side of things? There is alot of sites that aren't US content, and then there is the Darknets that are mentioned, and the LANs (Local Area Networks) and WANs. (Wide Area Networks). Plus there is other ways to access the internet, so I picture it a fairly daunting last resort ditch by the goverment. And yeah I know they take out all electronics unless shielded, but I guess maybe I dont understand the internet is a complex web and it contains more then one web so to me it seems near improbable.

[edit on 7/18/2010 by Jedite]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
The digital age brought with it dependability on routers and satellites. The lure of higher bandwith allowed us to migrate to a technology that can be easily and instantly turned off.

Be it from claims of a global attack on our sattelites to our routers being shut off from a pretend computer / router virus. The fact is that all of this digital migration brought the death of radio / electromagnetic communication.

few people still have radios but most of us have moved on to using the web for our music entertainment as well. So as more and more f us throw away radios and TV's there's no way for anyone to communicate to us once everything goes off.

And if you expect to use personal CB's and ham radios be careful because kids are being taught in schools to find ways parents break the laws so the kid can get a financial reward for being a "good american."

So once it all happens, even if you can communicate, be careful who you communicate with even if it's family!

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
i have a few things to add.

www.budgetdialup.com offers a year of prepaid dialup access for 6 dollars. for 6 dollars you get 10 hours, so if you still have a dialup modem lying around, and the internet gets shut down but not the phone lines you can simply dial-in to one of their oversea's numbers. it will be slower and cost you long distance but if all your doing is communicating or checking news it should work out alright.

once you have your access, you can use the program FreeNet to easily set up a darknet.

Freenet itself is like a network hub of darknet's and opennet "freesites", which should all still be in working order, if dialed in through an overseas number (canada).

the other option is direct dial-in BBS systems. those are kind of already the same thing. the key is to think archaic, like somebody else mentioned, we were lured in with digital technology, so get ahold of as many analogue communications as possible.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join