It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nigeria has oil spill that's been going on for over 50 years!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Brilliant, you've gone from a British company, to a part British company. Now take a close look at BP.

And again, as I've said in different threads on ATS, regardless of the nationality of the ownership, the company itself is not a British company, i.e. it is not owned by the British government.

The anti-British sentiment carrying through a lot of these BP threads is unjustified and undeserved. the British people have as much to be angry about with BP as any American although a lot of them wont realise this until the Gulf stream starts to wash the oil up on Cornwall's beaches.

Another side effect that concerns me (although i don't have enough education in this area to be certain) is as follows.

The biggest threat to from global warming to the UK would paradoxically be the onset of an ice age across northern Europe. This would be caused by melting polar ice cap altering the salinity of the gulf stream causing it to stop. This would then halt the warmer currents coming from the US which currently prevent the UK from freezing.

I pose a question to anybody in the know, and offer a scenario to the UK members who show little concern for the current events as follows.

How much oil needs to b deposited into the gulf stream before the same desalination effect causes it to stop?

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by idmonster

My problem is this.

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
I'm absolutely horrified. I had no idea. I left this comment on one of the articles:

Nigerian oil spills 1. Thursday, 17 June 2010 15:16 (ladyinwaiting)

This is absolutely disgraceful. And these are mostly American Oil Corporations.

If the people can't stand up on their legs and scream over this until it gets attention, and correction, then maybe the rest of the world should do it for them.

Americans are good at screaming bloody murder.

Oprah seems like a good place to start.

"And these are mostly American Oil Corporations." This is not true.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by davidmann

Is it not time for the US to look for an alternative to oil then? I mean 20% of the worlds consumption. Geez. Buying carbon credits. Geez.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Good post!!

The problem is that a lot of people aren't concerned about issues unless they're personally affected. Just look at the recent oil spill! If this had happened somewhere else (like Nigeria), it wouldn't be front news after 5+ weeks...

The sad reality is, oil companies spit on human lives and the environment, and as much as we want cheap oil, the humane thing to do would be to STAND UP AND SAY "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!". If I have to pay $.05/gallon more so be it, but I cant in good conscience use fuel delivered by companies who spit on human lives, the environment, and everything else that stands in the way of maximizing profits.

There's a good movie called "Crude". If you don't wanna punch a wall after seeing the PR spokeswoman-zombie of one of those oil companies look into the camera and say "our operations have nothing to do with the suffering of those people", you have no soul!

If this were happening in your back yard, you'd be FURIOUS!! And you'd sue those bastards for all they have...sadly, it often hits the poorest of the poor, and they don't have the means to defend themselves in a way us people in the West can. That doesn't make their cause any less just!

If there's one force that can make the oil companies change, it's the consumer! Bombard them with emails, keep the topic of their injustice alive and public, make them look as bad as they really are...and maybe, just maybe they will get that in the long term, their strategy of total exploitation won't be that profitable.

This goes beyond politics imo! It doesn't matter if you're right, or left...every human being should be ANGRY if they witness the destruction of other human lives simply for the maximization of profits. NOTHING, and certainly not politics, should ever let us forget that we are all one people, people of this planet. We might have different opinions, but no one deserves to be treated like # simply because of $$$.

[edit on 18-6-2010 by MrXYZ]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by henriquefd

and yet the earth hasn't imploded upon itself yet.

the doomsayers will be SO bummed.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by justadood
reply to post by henriquefd

and yet the earth hasn't imploded upon itself yet.

the doomsayers will be SO bummed.

Sorry, but where in my post did I say the world is coming to an end? There is no doomsaying here. Just reporting the news.

Maybe you were looking for the Oilpocalipse thread. Search again.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848

The biggest gas flaring company is the Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria Ltd, a joint venture that is majority owned by the Nigerian government. In Nigeria, “...despite regulations introduced 20 years ago to outlaw the practice, most associated gas is flared, causing local pollution and contributing to climate change.”[3] The environmental devastation associated with the industry and the lack of distribution of oil wealth have been the source and/or key aggravating factors of numerous environmental movements and inter-ethnic conflicts in the region, including recent guerilla activity by the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND).

en.wikipedia.org...

And the Shell company operating in Nigeria, Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria Ltd, is majority owned by the Nigerian government.

Nigeria doesn't have a huge infrastructure for gathering, processing. and transporting natural gas. Natural gas is a waste product to them much like it was in Egypt 30+ years ago and the US at the turn of the century. They have to flare it or shut the wells in. If they don't flare it then the "local pollution" that is mentioned will be orders of magnitude worse.

Isn't it strange how people in developed countries think they know what people in underdeveloped countries think about? The majority of the people there are poor. They don't sit around and bemoan the flaring of natural gas. Their primary concern is getting food and water and staying alive. The "environmental movement" wants to get it's hands on the oil wealth. They put the "environmental" part in their name to get the attention and funding of the poor fools that think they are serious

[edit on 6/20/2010 by Mike6158]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

I would suggest that as has been stated MANY times before and in different posts ..... everyone needs to FIRE EVERY ONE OF THE POLITICIANS come November, regardless of if they were good or bad, just completely clean house and let the people send a message to government.

Work for the people or get FIRED!!!!!!

But as I write this I know in my heart it will just continue, because frankly I don't believe the people give a FLYING $%&# if its not in my yard.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by justadood

You know pissing in someone's yard doesn't kill the grass either, until enough people piss in it, and that's exactly what you are doing and others that think like that ..... We PEOPLE need to think about every piece of crap we through away or destroy. we will not kill the planet, as I'm sure she will shake us off like a grain of sand!!!! but we will KILL OURSELVES!!!

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
So the spills in Nigera are from Shell a London, United Kingdom based business.
[edit on 18-6-2010 by JBA2848]

Yes and the ones in Ecuador are by an American company.

What is your point.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join