It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nigeria has oil spill that's been going on for over 50 years!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
"I think I know...that MSM shops on ATS for stories and ideas. Maybe they will see this thread. "

No sooner had I typed this........CNN is reporting this story NOW.

What did I tell you? I betcha they got it here.

THANK YOU OP

edit: ahh...they are saying they got it from the NYT's story. They are saying it is rusted pipes and sabotage from their own people from a kind of a "war" that is going on.

[edit on 6/17/2010 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

where do you think come from most of the commodity for your country !!!! from mars!!! from all the country you ignore,without their wealth you got nothing... the world are not USA, europe, and china the world it's also africa south africa and many others, damn i'm sick and tired ... slavery ,war and starvation and ignorance this is what win africa and we keep stilling them and laugh at there face now, i hope this world coming to an end because all that circus is bull#...

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Well, at least now it will hopefully be equally present in the public consciousness. I just wish that there was a sincere cleanup effort or fund or something to donate to. Even just a dollar or two.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
So this means that in 50 years, just like in Nigeria, you will turn black too!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.....BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

[edit on 17-6-2010 by Gloster]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by HrdCorHillbilly
It is sad how the Niger Delta has been overrun by oil companies.
I seen a special on this a while back. It was on Current TV's Vanguard series.
Lot's of good info on the Niger Delta oil problems here...
current.com...

Jesus, what the heck is happening in Nigeria?

I don't want to read anymore.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I agree that this oil spill in Nigeria is horrible as well. As Americans, we only seem to pay attention to things that happen close to home. If we set our sights on foreign affairs it is only because we, or TPTB have interests there. We obviously need to pay attention to what is going on around the globe and we also need to find a solution to our constant need for the oil that has become our lifeblood.

Here is a link to a study/research article on Nigerian oil. It may bring some light to just how bad it is there as well.

www.fig.net...

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
If this has spilled a valdez every year, lets put this into perspective; 1 per year, versus 1 every 6- 6 1/2 days. That means this: bp will spill more in less than two years than a 50 year leak. Thats if it really is as low as 40,000 barrels a day. Here is a worse statistic:

"Just over 2.5 hours worth of U.S. oil consumption. The United States is the world's biggest oil user, and burns about 20 million barrels a day, or 833,000 barrels an hour. Every 21 days, the BP well spews one hour's worth of U.S. consumption."
www.reuters.com...

This kinda stuff should be news all over the world from the spills to our gross, needless consumption.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Well done to the OP for highlighting this but I expect nothing less on here. Unfortunately, as we all know, nobody will do anything about this until there is some way to profit from helping clean it up.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by proteus33
its a sad thing and i feel that goverment there should take a note from hugo chavez and take control of every well in there country and nationalize there oil production. but they won't so big oil keeps raping them its almost as sad as when dubeers had diamonds found in nigeria classified as conflict diamonds by un to keep nigeria from competing with them for diamond sales. they just can't get a break . British petroleum leased the rig they hired the employees on the rig so its there fault i am sorry for all you British who had your retirement invested with bp. but saying bp isn'tresponsible is like saying the vatican isn't responsible when a one of there priests rapes a bunch of children and then is relocated to avoid prosecution and liability.

Oh, yes- because when THE GOVERNMENT "takes care" of the environment, it leave NOTHING behind, but scortched-earth. I was a H.S. Exchange student to West Germany,back in the late 70's. We went on a trip, into East Germany. EVERYTHING was covered in coal-dust, all the water was so polluted, you didn't have to be Holy to walk on it,and the air was unbreathable.
There is a LONG historical record, of "Government" management- and the result. When a PERSON, a real, flesh and blood individual, owns something, they generally take good care of it. When "everyone" owns something, it is soooo easy, to let "someone else" take care of it.
I'm NOT defending the Multi-national oil companies- they are basically governments unto themselves.
My understanding of the Nigerian Delta, is that MOST of the oil spilt, is done by illegal taps into the pipeline, many, EVERY DAY. Shoot a hole into the pipe, collect all the oil you can transport, then drive away. Leaving the high-pressure, hot crude, shooting-out. And no, I will not accept "their extreme poverty", as an excuse.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I think they're onto us.

Page Not Found

We're sorry, the page you've requested does not exist at this address. Please note:

If you typed in the address, used a bookmark or followed a link from another Web site, the page is no longer available. Most articles remain online for seven days after publication. Articles back to 1851 are available through The New York Times Article Archive: 1851-Present.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I think BP have done a sterling job, and continue to do so. I think what is frustrating for Americans is the lack of the Hollywood superhero, who will in the blink of an eye plug the well. Wake up, real life isn't like that. Hollywood movies (and American expectations) are.

I don't think there has been any cover-up or complacency on the part of BP.

To hear the way the senators grilled the BP CEO today was hilarious. They would ask a question, and as soon as Tony responds, they interrupt with another question. Erm, shut up and listen. That's what the rest of the world has to do when you mouth off at the rest of us.

Back off and let BP get on with it, unless of course a hollywood studio can come up with a better solution? I think not.

Have Exxon and other US oil firms had such a grilling from Senators for all their wrong-doings?
Hmmm, probably not.

But then again, if it's not happening on the doorstep of the US, "who gives a?".

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Judging by the 40 flags and line of stars I guess this thread is getting all the attention, and judging by the 1 reply on mine I guess well....

But if you checked my thread, there is a link to this document that highlights the situation in the Niger Delta, it was released in 2000 so anything from the past 10 years isn't included, but it is a informative read.

Oil For Nothing: Multinational Corporations, Environmental Destruction, Death and Impunity in the Niger Delta

Nigeria, the most populous country in Africa, is also one of the best endowed in terms of natural resources. Yet, it is one of the poorest countries in the world. As is the case with many oil-rich developing countries, oil reserves have proved a mixed blessing for Nigeria. Since 1974, only 14 years after independence, oil production for export has been by far the main source of revenue for the government. Today, oil sales account for more than 40 percent of GDP, 80 percent of the government's budgetary revenue, and more than 95 percent of exports. With an average production of approximately 2 million barrels per day, Nigeria is one of the world's largest oil produc-ers. However, due to a persistent fall in oil prices, Nigeria's external debt has risen to an unprecedented level in the last decade; inflation is rampant, and per capita GNP has fallen to levels comparable to or lower than those estimated in the mid 1960s, when oil exploration began in earnest..

The Oil Spills You Never Heard Of

Rereading this my opening line is misleading, I don't care if you pay my thread no attention. Its the content, the links and the information within I hope you all have a chance to see and learn.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBitterEnd

The overzealous word filter replace n igeria in the link with n-word. Replace 'n-word'ia with n igera (no space) and you'll be good.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
"1967
March 18 - UNITED KINGDOM - The Torrey Canyon ran aground off Cornwall spilling 80,000 tonnes (919,000 barrels) of crude.

March 20 - SWEDEN - At least 438,000 barrels of oil spilled in a collision involving the Othello in Tralhavet Bay.

December 19 - OMAN - After a collision with Brazilian tanker Horta Barbosa the South Korean tanker Sea Star spilled about 840,000 barrels of crude into the Gulf of Oman.

December 15 - USA - The Argo Merchant ran aground off Nantucket spilling 183,000 barrels of oil and causing a slick 160 km (100 miles) long and 97 km wide.

February 25 - PACIFIC - The Liberian-registered Hawaiian Patriot caught fire in the Northern Pacific spilling 723,000 barrels.

March 16 - FRANCE - About 1.6 million barrels of crude spilled after the Amoco Cadiz ran aground near Portsall in France's worst ever tanker accident. The resulting slick eventually covered 125 miles of Breton coast.

June 3 - MEXICO - An estimated 140 million gallons of oil spilled from an exploratory well in the Gulf of Mexico, 80 km NW of Ciudad del Carmen, Campeche.

July 19 - TRINIDAD & TOBAGO - About 2.2 million barrels of crude spilled after a collision off Tobago between the Atlantic Empress and the Aegean Captain.

August 6 - SOUTH AFRICA - Fire broke out on the Spanish tanker Castillo de Bellver and 1.8 million barrels of light crude burnt off the coast at Cape Town.

March 24 - USA - The Exxon Valdez hit rocks in Prince William Sound spilling some 240,000 barrels of crude oil onto Alaskan shores.

December 19 - MOROCCO - After explosions and a fire Iranian tanker Kharg-5 was abandoned spilling 70,000 tonnes of crude oil, endangering the coast and oyster beds at Oualidia.

February 7 - USA - The tanker, American Trader, leaked 300,000 gallons of crude from a gash in the hull causing an oil slick 22 km long polluting Bosa Chica, one of southern California's
biggest nature reserves.

January 26 - KUWAIT - An estimated 240 million gallons of oil were spilled from terminals, tankers and oil wells during the final phase of the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait.

May 28 - ANGOLA/LIBERIA - A Liberian-registered supertanker, ABT Summer, leaked oil after an explosion off Angola causing an oil slick 17 nautical miles by three.

January 12 -- NIGERIA - 40,000 barrels of oil spilled from a ruptured pipeline to one of Mobil's terminals. Even though most of the oil had either evaporated or dispersed within the 10 days that followed, some communities in the politically-volatile region complained that fish had been poisoned by the spilled oil and fishing nets destroyed. The spill is considered the largest ever in Nigeria."
A History Of Oil Spills

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Haydn_17
I hope this shuts up all the people saying that the human race will become extinct due to this oil spill.

Are you serious? The Nigeria mess is not on the scale of the Gulf Spill.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightFlyer96
I think I know why this was neglected - in the U.S they only care about what happens in their hemisphere - not about what happens in the rest of the world. look at the chile and Haiti earthquakes, they made such a big deal about Haiti, yet when the chile earthquake happens it was only on the news for about 2 days

I'm happy to inform you that this is simply not the case.

Much like the people in Nigeria, no one asks the actual citizens what they think, what they want, or what is allowable or acceptable concerning big business.

What do you think all these town-hall meetings, letters to editors, comments, protests, arrests, etc., that happen here are all about, my international friend?

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceWombat04

Well, at least now it will hopefully be equally present in the public consciousness. I just wish that there was a sincere cleanup effort or fund or something to donate to. Even just a dollar or two.

I understand. I would donate too. But the funds need to be used to hire lawyers to file LAWSUITS.

Litigation is the only way to get them to clean this up.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Those are not flames, they are just something painted yellow that appears like flames when you can see through the oil, watch more carefully at full screen and you will see that they only appear in two places and it is just yellow you don't see until a clear spot pops up and yes it does look like flames, but there is no oxygen down there so it won't burn till it comes to the surface.

Peace

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by sizzlean

And here in lies the truth. The west is more than happy to keep polluting the world until it happens in someones backyard. Chevron has spent 30 years destroying an area in Ecuador and Shell has spent 50 years dumping on Nigeria.

The Gulf highlights our addiction to oil and the 'drill baby, drill' attitude that has prevailed for too long.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by sizzlean

The yellow you see which is stated as fire is actually Dispersant. They are injecting it right into the well head and plume. There is also Methane bubbles and Natural Gas spewing from it.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join