It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mothers of detained U.S. hikers urge Iran to prosecute or free them

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Mothers of detained U.S. hikers urge Iran to prosecute or free them

www.cnn.com

The mothers of U.S. hikers urged the Iranian government to either prosecute or free the three held since last year after reportedly crossing the border into the country while hiking in Iraq.

In a statement, the mothers of Shane Bauer, Sarah Shourd and Josh Fattal also called for more consular access for their children and for them to be able to call their families.

They also asked that Shourd be moved from solitary confinement.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Iran positive detained Americans spies
Iran to let mothers visit 3 US detainees: Mottaki

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I feel sorry for these mothers but on the same token, I can't help but to think that they were spies. The more I research the subject, the more clear it becomes.

"Shane, Sarah and Josh have been detained in Iran without due process for almost 11 months, in continued violation of Iranian and international law," the mothers said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Where were these mothers when the US was doing far worse. The US has held hundreds of people (at least) without due process or even charge. I realize that it is not these mothers' fault, but still. Did they have a problem with the US doing this kind of thing on a much larger scale?

Bauer and Shourd got engaged in prison and plan to get married after their release.

"Shane told me that he proposed to Sarah in the yard of Evin prison on January 6, the very same day that we applied for our visas to go visit them," Bauer's mother, Cindy Hickey, said at the time. "We're all so overjoyed at the news, but it's obviously impossible to know when the wedding will take place."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Good for them, I'm happy to hear that they have found a silver lining from those whole situation. I do hope that they will one day be able to realize a marriage, outside of Iran.

While I believe these "hikers" to be spies (though I'm not 100% certain, obviously), that doesn't mean that I'm not rooting for them. I feel for their parents, friends and loved ones who have to suffer through this ordeal with them. I think the best thing that Iran could do, is to take the moral high-ground and release or charge these kids. I believe such a move would give Iran good PR if they don't stoop to the level of the US by detaining people without charge or even due process. I pray for their safe return.

--airspoon

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Their mothers visited them in Iran in May.

Their families were informed of their where abouts and allowed to visit, sounds like they're being treated better than an awful lot of American prisoners, not to mention the fact that an Iranian tourist found hiking around the Mexican border would be lucky to survive.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Lets see.. Hiking in a war zone (iraq) "conveniently" wandering across the border into a neighboring country and getting arrested .. Either theyre complete idiots or most likely working for the C.I.A .. Sorry but no sympathy for stupidity. At very least their guilty of illegaly entering a foriegn country as they failed to get visas and didnt enter through proper channels..

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
And of course the newsmedia have been covering this non-story 24/7 to blame Iran...

But where are the stories of those mothers who are asking about their sons and daughters in US illegal secret detention in Guantanamo, Bagram or US black sites in Europe?

Of course they'll never talk about this... because when the US government does war crimes, it's ``to protect the free world``...

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I happen to agree with all of the posters who are suggesting that Iran is treating these prisoners in a seemingly far better way than the US does. This is why I think Iran should stay on top of the moral mountain by either charging these kids or letting them go. I realize they are probably spies, but think of all the good PR that Iran would have, at least from the other Islamic countries. Of course the western media will somehow put spin on such a move to make Iran look bad for a good and "just deed".

--airspoon

new topics

top topics

join