It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Despite spill, most Americans back offshore drilling

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Despite spill, most Americans back offshore drilling

www.reuters.com

In a national survey of 522 adults, on a scale of 0 to 10, the average show of support was 6.3 when asked if the government should allow offshore drilling.

The poll was conducted by the market research company TRC.

Not surprising, the response was higher among Republicans, 7.8, compared to 5.4 for Democrats.

Zero indicated complete disagreement and 10 reflected complete agreement.

The average response was 6.7 when those surveyed were asked if offshore drilling was critical for America
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 17-6-2010 by henriquefd]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I agree. It´s too easy to just say we should stop using fossile fuels, but that´s our reality today and change takes time. We need to see efforts towards change and follow up on those changes, so we can foresee a better future.

One change that could be done swiftly is to pass new laws with tougher regulations to offshore drilling.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Either this is a freaking joke, i.e. Onion article, or this whole mess NEEDS to get a whole damn lot worse in order for these "most Americans" to wake the BLEEP up!

ME? I'm ready to go back to living in a little log cabin on the prairie in order to save, conserve, and protect the Earth from this continued rape and abuse of the planet.

Gawd, how bonehead stupid can people be? Yup, this whole damn thing needs to blow up in everyone's face in order to wake them out of their drunken party down good time stupor. Man, is "most Americans" high on crack or what? What the hell is wrong with people today. What will it take, anyhow, to wake these idiots up?

Pray with me that this becomes sufficiently worse enough to cause everyone to change their earth trashing ways. Curse these planet trashers.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by Divinorumus]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by henriquefd

I agree too, but there may not be any need for drilling in the future. Oil companies may just be able to suck up the oil from the ocean itself, afterall, the water will likely be at least 50% oil.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
The results aren't surprising. People don't want oiled beaches and dead wildlife, but they don't want $10/gallon gasoline and significantly higher prices for all shipped goods, either. They also know that there are many more oil platforms operating safely in US waters, and rather than throw out a viable industry in a knee jerk reaction to one accident, no matter how awful, its in our better long term interests to find out why this one platform had such a catastrophic failure when literally thousands of others operate safely.

And there's also one other consideration. Yes, we can ban offshore drilling, but that doesn't mean anyone else will follow our lead. There will still be thousands of oil platforms operating in the world's oceans no matter what the United States does.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Umm... just to put things into perspective, since when is a poll of 522 people out of 300,000,000 considered an accurate litmus test for the feelings of all Americans?

Before everyone starts America bashing can we just think about that for a minute?

[edit on 17-6-2010 by Legion2112]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Change of energy does not take time.

There is a list of devices that can power homes without Edison or "fossil Fuels."

Fossil fuels is a misnomer since oil does not take fossils to make fuel. Look up dry oil wells and their refilling after a few years.

Tesla was the best and had it done first though.

Here is a youtube vid on Tesla

www.youtube.com...

Who killed the Electric car?

[edit on 17-6-2010 by Quickfix]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
It's pretty foolish to completely turn against something because of one failure. even a catastrophic failure. Sure, stop the action and reevaluate the process. Then decide if it is worth the risk to continue. But to just throw it all away and give up on it because of one failure is silly.

Kind of like how continuing a failed thing despite a constant track record of failure is stupid. Or given a constant track record of failure you approach with the solution to do more of it at a higher cost rather than stop and reevaluate what you're doing. You know, everything the federal government has ever done.

If Edison gave up on the lightbulb because of one failure we'd still be in the dark. If Edison marketed his first 30 second burning failure to the public he'd be broke. If Edison made friends in the government and worked out a mandate that we all buy his failed product we'd all be broke and in the dark except for Edison and the government.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

What about Tesla?

Without Tesla, Edison would not be able to power said bulbs.

Tesla's power lines are even used, even though he invented free and wireless transmission of energy.

Edited to add: I give up on oil because it's only means is profit. Can it be used for other things, yes about a thousand other products, but as a means of power
nope it is outdated.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Legion2112

I agree, probably those interviewed where family members and workers for the big oil companies.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Quickfix

Yes, yes, yes. We all have raging wood for Tesla.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Hehehe I suppose.

I wonder what life would be like if more of his inventions were used...

Likely an unprofitable world of peace...

Maybe that world exists in an alternate reality/dimension or something...

Well we can still dream.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
It's utterly ridiculous to think the DWH Macondo blow-out is going to stop offshore oil-drilling. This would be akin to halting all air traffic after a single air traffic disaster.

This disaster is particularly horrible, as was say, the alleged use of 2 commercial jets to bring down the WTC. The problem, solution, reaction, will be much the same as 911 in this case. More bureaucracy, more regulation, more control, and of course our government getting a bigger share of the pie. Meaning, IT'S GOING TO COST US !!!

Though oil drilling is by nature, a pretty filthy business; it is also a relatively safe industry as far as events of larger magnitude. Accidents in this classification are extremely rare and occur on-shore, as well as off-shore. There are thousands upon thousands of off-shore rigs that have pumped and are currently pumping a good portion of the world's oil supply; a supply mind you, that the United States begs for more than the lion's share.

This world, and especially this country, is unfortunately unprepared to make a switch from oil overnight, and it would be pretty stupid if we did. If we demanded for all off-shore drilling to be halted, the result would be people having something else to complain about; the price of practically everything going up, up, up.

What is in my mind an even greater misfortune & misdeed than the blow-out itself, has been the response, or rather LACK of response. The apparent apathy when it comes to the urgency of this disaster has been mind-boggling. To err is human...and sometimes even negligence is just a terrible mistake. We are all HUMAN, and my philosophy in life has always been to grant all fellow humans the mercy I would ask for when I screw up badly...

But to me, there's nothing worse than childishly going to any length to cover-up a mistake with lies, deception, and deceit.

I don't think people would be half as pissed off now as they are now if BP had just done the right thing. Instead of blaming, hiding, denying, lying, covering-up, procrastinating, evading, dismissing, blockading, avoiding etc...
Had we heard something like HEY WE JUST SCREWED UP and we need ALL THE FREAKING HELP WE CAN GET...had booms been set up and manned, had pump ships from all over the world been invited to come in and help reduce the amount of escaping oil, had the beaches been manned by armies of people ready to clean the slightest bit of tar, had every boat in the area been dispatched to help, had they been open-minded about solutions, had there been truth and disclosure, had responsibility been taken, it may have eased the repercussions...but instead, they have literally insulted the common sense and intelligence of everyone down the line.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by odd1out]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Divinorumus
Either this is a freaking joke, i.e. Onion article, or this whole mess NEEDS to get a whole damn lot worse in order for these "most Americans" to wake the BLEEP up!

ME? I'm ready to go back to living in a little log cabin on the prairie in order to save, conserve, and protect the Earth from this continued rape and abuse of the planet.

Gawd, how bonehead stupid can people be? Yup, this whole damn thing needs to blow up in everyone's face in order to wake them out of their drunken party down good time stupor. Man, is "most Americans" high on crack or what? What the hell is wrong with people today. What will it take, anyhow, to wake these idiots up?

Pray with me that this becomes sufficiently worse enough to cause everyone to change their earth trashing ways. Curse these planet trashers.

Simple answer... most of us do not use the EXCEPTION to define the RULE.

But, there are some who's rationale does in fact operate on logical fallacies.

*cough*

new topics

top topics

join