It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Real example of Police State emerging in New Zealand

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   
New Zealand, how do you percieve this country, the first thing that comes to my mind is Kiwis, the second is "kiwis can't fly".

I don't know why I posted the above statement, but hoping I would know by the time I finish this thread.

OK let's get back to the title:

Ok the search and surveillance bill is bad enough right? Allowing the Pork Board to break into our homes and plant bugs and spy cameras on us with the barest of legal oversights is despicable and we must fight to stop the State having this power - but this new move by the National Party has an even worse outcome, National have just cleared the way to allow the Police to create a political party that will be able to stand at local council elections.

tumeke.blogspot.com...

Here is the link to the bill:
www.scoop.co.nz...

The cops already have enough power, if this power is also given to them New Zealand would turn in to a police state.

Do you believe it is OK for the law enforcement agency to both create laws and enforce them?

What would be the outcome, is that much power good?

I believe it isn't good because police will create laws which will allow them to easily do their job, that ease will allow the police to abuse/harass innocent people going about their daily lives, and I believe it will increase reports of police brutality all over the country.

I might join the police force now, I might gain much in the future when they become the government.

What are your thought ATS?

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Anything has to be a step up from Sue Bradford.

Second line.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   
I don't know if this is that big of a deal. They can't be active police while they are campaigning and they have to resign in order to take office.

If active uniformed officers were involved I would be concerned but as is in most places cops often go on to local government. Anyone should be allowed to run cops shouldn't have to quit their jobs to run as is the case right now.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   
But seriously, it is only Local Govt. Councils etc...

No biggie and is a long way from real Govt state power. They could pass the odd local law ( ban gang patches etc... ) or instant tazering for parking infringements ( totally better than a ticket ) but not much else.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by LittleSecret
National have just cleared the way to allow the Police to create a political party that will be able to stand at local council elections.5.htm

The cops already have enough power, if this power is also given to them New Zealand would turn in to a police state.

Will people still have the option of not voting for them?
In that case, it won't be a police state.
It becomes a police state when the police are controlled by a party (as the Gestapo were controllled by the Nazis) and you can't get rid of the party.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by LittleSecret

No probs.

If the cops stand, at least that keeps a few crims out.

And kiwis CAN fly (in their minds and in that ad...)

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   
I really dislike the National Party they are all buddy buddy with America, helping America wage war which I just call cleaning up U.S. mess, everyday us kiwi's hear about laws being created under secrecy and as little information given to the public. The Government runs news is just about as bad as your fox news, I always come to ATS for my news because the crap they show on T.V. is either irrelevant or just comes from the net, recentley there have been alot of "bomb threats" over the country. This clean green country is going down the drain just as fast as America so we are going along the ride with Obama. Thanks America your the Bomb.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknows

No probs.

If the cops stand, at least that keeps a few crims out.

And kiwis CAN fly (in their minds and in that ad...)

You don't get the extent of the problem, Police becoming the governing force is a problem, I explained the problem previously.

See the police's main objective is to enforce laws, right?

Once they become the governing body, they what will be their main objective? It will still be enforcing law + creating law.

Now that will be the problem, when they create laws they will keep in mind how to enforce the laws, therefore they will create laws which will make it easier for police to enforce the law.

The ease is the destruction of our privacy, and the establishment of brutal force by the Law Enforcement Agency.

We already have surveillance law which allows the Police to tap in to your phone etc etc

I don't think this was even shown on TV, it was done at the time of Christmas so that it doesn't get that much media attention due to holidays, and due to politicians being in holiday and not there respond whether it is true or not.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   

There are individuals in the police force, just as there are individuals in the council.

I get your point. If a couple of cops get elected, that does not mean they all do.

And they cannot make meaningful laws, because parliament has to approve.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknows

There are individuals in the police force, just as there are individuals in the council.

I get your point. If a couple of cops get elected, that does not mean they all do.

And they cannot make meaningful laws, because parliament has to approve.

I chose the title of the thread very carefully:

Real example of Police State emerging in New Zealand

It is the beginning, the police power will increase faster when they have enough power to make it happen.

For example from the council their influence would increase, and next the parliament.

-Then the police force will have intelligence, hence the surveillance law:
-The police force will have means of self defense, hence the armed faction of the police:
-The police force will have a governing body, which has the capability of governing the military which is the means of self defense from external forces.

We shouldn't allow the police force to increase its influence, just like the military.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Crap I was hoping to flee to New Zealand as America went down the crapper. Looks like I'm too late.

new topics

top topics

join