It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boater chases mysterious periscope off of Florida coast

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Off florida coast then chancer are good that it was drug runners. Theyve been using subs since the 80s to smuggle drugs into the u.s.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
May be something , may be nothing, but i made a thread regarding a ship that listed missing an object a while ago, around the time of the oil disaster?
www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Now that I have stopped laughing at this guy for trying to chase a periscope, let me tell you what it probably is. Every so often the US Navy puts a sub in waters off the coast and tells it's Anti-Submarine Aircraft approximately where it is. Then those aircraft go out and try to find the sub. It is called "Sub Services". It gives the ASW people training in locating subs and gives the sub people training in how to avoid ASW aircraft. I have witnessed both sides of this. Several times I was in the aircraft and once I was on the sub.

Somewhere there is an attack sub crew who was laughing their asses off over this. Before the USS Greenville surfaced under that Japanese ship a few years ago, the sub would have probably played around with this guy.

In 1986 I was fishing in a small boat about 10 miles off of Jacksonville, when something took off with my lure. I was using 160 lb. fishing line and it actually made my boat move before the line broke. When I got back to my squadron, I checked the posts in the ready room and found that there was "Sub Services" in the area that I was fishing in. A while later I rode on a sub for a week. When we surfaced off Georgia, before going into port, I noticed some of the crew cutting fishing line. I asked where it came from and was told that they often snag lines and lures when approaching port.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Sorry everybody! That was me just having a little fun with the new toy

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I'm thinking it was the CIA taking advantage of the spill situation to run some drugs in undetected and while everyone is distracted with the spill.

I love this one comment at the bottom of the article.

* US NAVY - We can neither confirm or deny the presence of our submarine off of Hollywood Beach.

* "1941" - HORRYWOOOOOODDDDDDD!!

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
This smells of bull#### Ok.... i am very curious.. To get close enough to see it was a periscope... Some periscopes can be 60' long.... but wouldnt you have got right up on it? Looked down to see a large object.. I have fished the gulf.. You can see bottom 60 feet down on a sunny day. Where are the pictures? Have you ever gone on a fishing trip and not taken a camera or phone? 100% crap -IMO-
I would have followed the damn thing forever!

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Mobius1974

Just think, you are fishing in the gulf, probably have your cell phone and camera in a dry-bag and you see what looks to be a periscope. Due to the excitement and determination to figure the situation out, you may not think to take a picture of it. It's not like a ghost or UFO, plus these people may have not been worried with whether people believe them or not, at least at that moment.

Also, I have fished the gulf my entire adolescent life (before 18) and then some after, whenever I return to New Orleans to see family. Depending on where you are, the water may not be clear, though that is only in few places. It is the strangest sight, just a straight line going as far as the eye can see, with one side of the line having dirty and opaque water and the other side of the line being beautiful crystal clear water with a bluish-green tent. Even if the water is clear, you still may not be able to see that far under the surface, depending on the position of the sun, relative to your own position.

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by LieBuster

Originally posted by cosmo740
Russian's, North Koreans or Chinese. IMO

Did you know that the worlds sea bed is bugged with more listening devices than your internet connection and they can hear a fish fart at ten miles?

Make no mistake no sub can creep up like that but a red could sneak up and hide under your bed.

Chances are it's american spying on it's own people again and remember Bush changed the law so that they don't even have to ask the people anymore to do this type of thing.

More like some sensible US Navy guys, tired of the bullsht from their Commander and Chief decided to get in nice and close and take a look at the BOP themselves....

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Happyfeet
C. There was an Akula that made it under the golden gate bridge and went around Alcatraz.

Source please.
Second line for discovery.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Frickin awesome. OK, now I really do wish I was rich enough to buy one of those -- this from a guy who believes the best things in life are free, and still do.

Not to give too much attention to the off topic, but I think the periscope mystery is solved anyway.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
To be out at sea and see a submarine is very frightening, especially at night. They move so silently and often collide with boats and fishing nets. My guess is this one was a drug smuggling one because of the location. Most likely it is funded by the CIA cohorting with the cartels.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
Now that I have stopped laughing at this guy for trying to chase a periscope, let me tell you what it probably is. Every so often the US Navy puts a sub in waters off the coast and tells it's Anti-Submarine Aircraft approximately where it is. Then those aircraft go out and try to find the sub. It is called "Sub Services". It gives the ASW people training in locating subs and gives the sub people training in how to avoid ASW aircraft. I have witnessed both sides of this. Several times I was in the aircraft and once I was on the sub.

Somewhere there is an attack sub crew who was laughing their asses off over this. Before the USS Greenville surfaced under that Japanese ship a few years ago, the sub would have probably played around with this guy.

In 1986 I was fishing in a small boat about 10 miles off of Jacksonville, when something took off with my lure. I was using 160 lb. fishing line and it actually made my boat move before the line broke. When I got back to my squadron, I checked the posts in the ready room and found that there was "Sub Services" in the area that I was fishing in. A while later I rode on a sub for a week. When we surfaced off Georgia, before going into port, I noticed some of the crew cutting fishing line. I asked where it came from and was told that they often snag lines and lures when approaching port.

So the guys were not lying about the big one that got away.
And i though it was just to many beers.

I wonder what they would have thought if they have caught one.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Have not heard of it until now, no recent reports of submarine activity on the Pacific Coast. How ever a few foreign powers powers come to mind, since you mention it.

Let's hope it is a rookie learning the trade, and not a foreign interest sneaking and peaking.

It would figure, a fisherman spots the threat before our own national defenses, navy and coast guard. The disaster would be unforeseen, imagine hostile ships inside fishing waters range of our coasts.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
might be that " North Korean sub that torpedoed the Deep Water horizen oil rig".

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Well, a few years ago it could have been me on the other end of the periscope.

I did pop to the surface once about 30 feet from a small fishing boat and scared the guy silly. Problem was I had no way of knowing what was directly above me when I surfaced so I just had to risk it.

There are now a few private submarines in existence and it could have been one of them. Intelligence gathering in a submarine by a foreign power is not efficient.

[edit on 21-6-2010 by expat2368]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
Possible reasons:

A) Cuba's military spying on us.

B) Oil Leak a cover up for us to do covert ops in the gulf. In same vein could be used as good fortune spy trip for cuba. (he mean Atlantis, not cuba)

C) Could be the Russians, the Chinese, and many other nations. They have gotten very close to our shores before.

D) Could have been a science vessel for studying this Oil Leak.

E) Could be USO's at war with the U.S. and they needed a cover up.

F) All of the above.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
man I bet it's more than likely a US sub doing a excersise.

SUbs are closer than you think. I have no doubt they snag fishing lines all the time. Once while going to catalina island (off los angeles)the coolest thing happened. I was taking a ferry boat from long beach to catalina to hang out for the day. About 5 minutes after we docked along the pier at Avalon bay (catalinas harbor) the USS Honolulu (Los Angeles class attack sub) surfaced about a quarter mile back behind us just in the out side of the harbor. Not sailed in to the harbor but surfaced just out side it. It then hung out there and sailed out to sea the next day. the thing is this. it surface right in the path we had just taken in our feery boat. We were likely right over the thing a few minutes ago. I don't think the sub was following us as it was perpendicular to our path when it surfaced. It seemed, and I imagine, like it was just sitting near the botom ( a few hundred feet down) waited for us to pass and then popped the surface. A 300 foot leviathan and we sailed oblivious right over it.

So it's easy to believe it's a US sub. not likely a forign one although you never know. If it was travelling as fast as they make it seem than it's most likely a military sub with lots of power. probably nuclear powered.

edit. sorry about my spelling. too lazy to fix em though.

[edit on 21-6-2010 by BASSPLYR]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
not sure if the water in the san francisco bay is deep enough to conceal a akula sub. Doubt it would be able to menuever in such a cramped environment as that harbor with the shallow water and heavy ship traffic. nobody on the bridge noticed it. sats didn't spot it and the coast gaurd never noticed while sailing right next to it. Not sure about an akula in the san fran bay.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 02:51 AM
link   
It's highly likely that it was simply an American submarine patrolling American waters. As far as I know, modern submarines do still utilize periscopes along with other advanced surveillance equipment. The Virginia class submarine is the main American exception, I believe, since they use photonics masts.

Someone earlier suggested Chinese or North Korean submarines, but neither of those are likely. Chinese submarines would be more likely to show up along the West Coast and North Korea's subs would probably sink trying to leave their harbors. It's possible that it was a Russian submarine, since they've been known to prod close to American shores, but it would've been detected fairly quickly.

My belief is that it's either American or a submarine from another allied country, maybe England or France. They're probably running routine patrols or helping scout out the oil spill.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join