It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boater chases mysterious periscope off of Florida coast

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Boater chases mysterious periscope off of Florida coast

www.sun-sentinel.com

Talk about the big one that got away.

Ryan Danoff was fishing with two friends about four miles off Hollywood beach Sunday when he spied what appeared to be a mast on the horizon.

Funny thing: There was no boat underneath it.

Danoff, a Fort Lauderdale fish farmer who's on the water at least three days a week, aimed his 31-foot center console Fishy Business at the mysterious upright and found himself eye to eye with a periscope.

"It was crazy," he said. "If it was just myself out there I wouldn't believe what I saw."

Danoff moved closer. "It took off," he said. Very fast,
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Well...it's hard to really know whats going on here; and it's probably not a big deal at all. but with all the National Guard activity on the Gulf Coast it makes me wonder if the military is expanding it's operation to include underwater vessels off the east coast of Florida. Who knows...maybe drones are next.

Anyway, coming face to face with a periscope 5 miles offshore would have freaked my sh*t out!!!

www.sun-sentinel.com

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Russian's, North Koreans or Chinese. IMO

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Possible reasons:

A) Cuba's military spying on us.

B) Oil Leak a cover up for us to do covert ops in the gulf. In same vein could be used as good fortune spy trip for cuba.

C) Could be the Russians, the Chinese, and many other nations. They have gotten very close to our shores before.

D) Could have been a science vessel for studying this Oil Leak.

E) Could be USO's at war with the U.S. and they needed a cover up.

F) All of the above.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   
What a really odd situation.

At least whoever it was left? I'd be worried if it chased them back lol.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Florida Muck Monster

That would have freaked my sh#$@ out too. I also would have been the idiot that chased the thing.

I would have thought any sub would be able to detect a vessel on the surface. Makes me wonder if they were just messing around with the poor fisherman for some laughs. I guarantee I would be rolling on the floor if I saw his expression.

Probably nothing, but fun and interesting find nonetheless.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I posted in another thread that now is a time that subs can get closest to CONUS due to the oil plumes attenuating the passive radar net around our coast.

Its a field day for subs of all nations. Next we'll have collisions due to the rush hour traffic!

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Could be a drug smugglers submarine. They are getting pretty creative.

tried attaching link but it did not work, www.nbcmiami.com...

[edit on 17-6-2010 by secret space]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I believe more modern subs don't use periscopes. I don't think it was a US sub, as I believe that US subs don't use periscopes anymore, instead they use imaging sensors. I'm not sure if this is the case for all US subs, but I would think so. Also, I would imagine that other modernized countries such as China and Russia use the same technology. Maybe a Navy person could confirm this?

I'm not a Navy person so I'm no expert on submarines, just speaking from some info that I picked up somewhere along the line. If I had to guess, I would guess Venezuela, Iran or some other third world country that uses the technologically inferior periscope.

Just my 2 cents.

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Yeah I was wondering about that as well. It's also a bit hard for me to take anyone at their word when they claim to have seen a periscope pop up. Any Navy people or submarine nerds care to comment?

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
If it had been me i would have wished for a hand grenade.

Run right up and drop it just as a joke on the sub.(no way will it hurt them except the sonarman's ears and nerves)

It would have woke them up.

By the way if a US Navy surface ship had seen the periscope they would have done the same thing and dropped a grenade just to simulate a depth charge. (anti sub training uses grenades for training exercises )

I don't know if the coast guard carries grenades for that purpose.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I'm no squid but here's periscope info from www.navy.mil...

The Type 18 periscope is one of the primary hull-penetrating periscopes in the fleet today, used on all Los Angeles- and Seawolf-class submarines. Important features of the Type 18 include multiple magnification levels, single-axis stabilization, digital photography, low-light image intensification, color television, and day-and-night viewing capabilities. The Type 18 periscope is currently undergoing upgrades for a video package known as SUBIS (Submarine Imaging Subsystem), a set of analog video and digital still cameras that record the view from the periscope and provide image enhancement software for image analysis. Although the Type 18 represents the current state-of-the-art in U.S. submarine periscopes, the Navy’s new USS Virginia (SSN-774)-class submarine will be getting a completely new set of eyes. Virginia’s AN/BVS-1 Photonics Mast has replaced the traditional optical lenses and prisms of conventional periscopes with electronic imaging equipment. Each Virginia-class submarine will have two photonics masts that do not require physical penetration of the ship’s hull, but instead “telescope” out of the sail. Importantly, this allows Virginia’s Control Room to be moved from the cramped first deck to the more spacious second deck. Additionally, there will be no “gray lady” to dance with – or take up valuable control-room space – since the customary periscope in its below-deck well gives way to a fiber optic system that carries images from the photonics masts to two workstations and a commander’s control console, each equipped with two flat-panel displays and a keyboard, trackball, and joystick. The masts are equipped with three cameras – color, high-resolution black-and-white, and infrared – in addition to a mission-critical control camera in a separate, pressure-proof and shock-hardened housing and a laser range finder that will provide accurate ranges to targets and aids to navigation. All of these sensors are housed in the mast’s rotating head.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
He should have busted out a flashlight and sent the person manning the periscope a greeting!

.... . .-.. .-.. ---

Maybe the submariners were supposed to make contact and didn't expect to find a fisherman in the predetermined rendezvous point.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Florida Muck Monster

Anyway, coming face to face with a periscope 5 miles offshore would have freaked my sh*t out!!!

www.sun-sentinel.com

That would indeed freak people out I think. There's a well-known surfbreak in Sumbawa, Indonesia called Periscopes...it's had that name for a couple of decades as in the early 80s quite a large group was sitting out there, and within a few hundred metres offshore a large periscope popped up and went cruising along. It was very close to shore (and highly unlikely to be Indonesian) but it freaked them out too and the name has stuck ever since.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure these fishermen
will be getting a visit by Naval
Intelligence very shortly, if they
hadn't already.

5 miles from the coast is in US Waters
and under it's jurisdiction. If that barrier
was broken by a foreign sub, some might say
it's an act of aggression.

They should be able to identify the periscope
from photos and can tell who it was.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Yeah I think so to.

I also would have "freaked my $*^# out" if that were me.

man, what a weird feeling that'd be..

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Quite a few years back Playboy had a Black sub, just like the Black jet with the Playboy Bunny on the side.
Most are not aware of this sub, it's amazing what you can buy military surplus.
The Playboy sub was running down there in the Gulf.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by googolplex]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by cosmo740
Russian's, North Koreans or Chinese. IMO

Did you know that the worlds sea bed is bugged with more listening devices than your internet connection and they can hear a fish fart at ten miles?

Make no mistake no sub can creep up like that but a red could sneak up and hide under your bed.

Chances are it's american spying on it's own people again and remember Bush changed the law so that they don't even have to ask the people anymore to do this type of thing.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
Possible reasons:

A) Cuba's military spying on us.

B) Oil Leak a cover up for us to do covert ops in the gulf. In same vein could be used as good fortune spy trip for cuba.

C) Could be the Russians, the Chinese, and many other nations. They have gotten very close to our shores before.

D) Could have been a science vessel for studying this Oil Leak.

E) Could be USO's at war with the U.S. and they needed a cover up.

F) All of the above.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by JohnPhoenix]

A. impossible, Cuba doesn't have any subs.

Taken from wikipedia

In 1998, according to a CIA report, the navy had no functioning submarines, around 12 surface vessels that were combat ready, a 'weak' anti-surface warfare capability, primarily SS-N-2 Styx SSM equipped fast attack boats, and an 'extremely weak' anti-submarine warfare capability.

B. Are you daft? We would waste what will become trillions of dollars to spy on Cuba, a country that is of no threat to anyone. Would a huge company stage this with no possible gain but huge revenue losses?

C. Most certainly, we have seen the Russkies bring subs into our harbors. There was an Akula that made it under the golden gate bridge and went around Alcatraz.

D.What a foolish thing to say. A science vessel? Any scientific subs you want to point me to that have periscopes and the ability to race off?

E. Uhhhhhhhhh....

F.None of the above.

think next time

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   
I actually had a dream about it last night (I just woke up), probably because it was the last thing I read before going to bed. Anyway, in my dream, it was a periscope to a sub being used by drug smugglers. I can't believe that I didn't think of this in my waking hours.

Now I know that the types of submarines being used by drug smugglers are only semi-submersibles but I wouldn't be surprised if they had a real submarine somewhere in use.

--airspoon

[edit on 17-6-2010 by airspoon]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join