It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The world isn't going to end.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Why is it you people seem so content with spewing all this nonsense about the world ending? You sit there and honestly believe this will result in the death of our oceans? Are you truly that naive?

Things like this happen all the time, if it isn't one thing it's another, and yes I'm aware this is the largest spill in history. You really need to compose yourself with a little more dignity.

Will you people still be harping on about this in 4 months when most of the world has forgotten about it and moved on? Probably not, thou I'm sure some of you will continue claiming it was a planned explosion to go along with some evil agenda. Frankly I'm disgusted with the amount of fear mongering going on over this.

Please save me the pitiful stories about how the wildlife is suffering over this as well. More animals are killed weekly for food than will die as a result of this spill. If you have such a huge problem with these animals dying, I suggest you stop eating meat as well, otherwise you are a hypocrite.

The oceans won't die because of this.
The world isn't going to end because of this.

Now I fully expect a influx of posts claiming me to be a disinfo agent. Frankly that's what you fear mongering posters(not all just a select few) like to spew when someone disagrees with your insane theories.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Well actually, the world is going to end. That's a fact! The question is when....So your title LIES! Sorry for being a smartass, dunno what got into me!!

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep
Well actually, the world is going to end. That's a fact! The question is when....So your title LIES! Sorry for being a smartass, dunno what got into me!!

haha, I stand corrected!

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
You're correct. The world won't end.

Oil making large areas of the gulf of Mexico inhospitable to wildlife, killing tourism and livelihoods of those on the coast, out gassing of toxic chemicals into the air, entering the cloud layer to be transported to other parts of the country as rain, with the spill slowly reaching around the Florida pan-handle to wreak havoc on the east coast, taking decades to be removed..

Life might suck for a generation or 2 or 5. But the world won't end.

Hooray.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
off course is not going to end

but it is a HUGE disaster for the US, the region, and may have a big influence in the whole world economy ... so yeah

it is HUGE

world is not going to end, but this is going to influence so much that is going to change the world as we see it right now in a lot of aspects

so, stop trying to diminish it ...

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Well...

I don't think we the world will end before her exporation date. The oceans will not to.

However...

We already destroyed a large part of the oceanic floor specifically that of the continental shelfes. Which are a barren waste land instead of the furtile habitat of countless of species.

On land. Well... were getting there...!?

I learned something new today.
Methane is leaking in the ocean. Methane is a potent greenhouse gas. Much more potent then carbon dioxide. But I knew that already.

In the past there have been a couple rapid changes where the atmosphere warmped up. Methane was the old answer. Clathrate methane actually from the methane ice from the oceon floor.
They found this did not happen. Another cause.

So every bit of methane will be a problem or methane does not produce a greenhouse effect. The large quantities in the atmosphere are just as Co2 from shortly after it warmped up.

Conclusion :
No the oil spill will not cause the end of the world.
It will contribute to the already current mass extinction this era called the holocean.

Unless ther is going to be some divine interaction. We will destroy the food chain.
Eating it, and destroying the habitat our food lives in.

We get extinct. In about 30 million years, nature will have recovered from her wounds and lives happily ever after. Without that nasty dissease that called itself human.

But he I agree. The oil spill will not kill the oceans.

~ Sinter

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Gakus

You sit there and honestly believe this will result in the death of our oceans? Are you truly that naive?
Dude...yes, we kill animals to eat them, but its usually humane and we do it sustainably...it's completely different to filling the ocean with a $#!7 load of crude, gases, and other crap...you clearly underestimate the severity of this situation...plankton are responsible for up to 80% of the worlds oxygen production...it only takes one hard punch to an ecosystem to affect the food chain and create a butterfly effect, leading to catastrophe...sure, that may not happen...but a lot of sea life will die needlessly, many shorelines will be destroyed and in many areas you wont be able to enter the water without getting covered in oil. Then you've also got underwater currents, which could transport the oil pretty much all around the world. Then we also have the millions of gallons of highly toxic dispersants, not to mention storms and natural evaporation which could carry all this crap in clouds and get it into our water systems.

In 4 moths time, this wont be forgotten about, I doubt they will have even plugged the leak by then, if they manage to plug it at all.

[edit on 16/6/10 by CHA0S]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by danj3ris
You're correct. The world won't end.

Oil making large areas of the gulf of Mexico inhospitable to wildlife, killing tourism and livelihoods of those on the coast, out gassing of toxic chemicals into the air, entering the cloud layer to be transported to other parts of the country as rain, with the spill slowly reaching around the Florida pan-handle to wreak havoc on the east coast, taking decades to be removed..

Life might suck for a generation or 2 or 5. But the world won't end.

Hooray.

Totally exaggerated post, buddy.

Toxic rain clouds WILL NOT be sweeping across the country, the mere thought is laughable. The East Coast being devastated for decades? Pure speculation. The Gulf Coast will return to normal in a matter of a few years not decades. I'm not sure where you're getting your facts, but I'd seriously reconsider those points before speaking them again.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by Gakus]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
Well...

I don't think we the world will end before her exporation date. The oceans will not to.

However...

We already destroyed a large part of the oceanic floor specifically that of the continental shelfes. Which are a barren waste land instead of the furtile habitat of countless of species.

On land. Well... were getting there...!?

I learned something new today.
Methane is leaking in the ocean. Methane is a potent greenhouse gas. Much more potent then carbon dioxide. But I knew that already.

In the past there have been a couple rapid changes where the atmosphere warmped up. Methane was the old answer. Clathrate methane actually from the methane ice from the oceon floor.
They found this did not happen. Another cause.

So every bit of methane will be a problem or methane does not produce a greenhouse effect. The large quantities in the atmosphere are just as Co2 from shortly after it warmped up.

Conclusion :
No the oil spill will not cause the end of the world.
It will contribute to the already current mass extinction this era called the holocean.

Unless ther is going to be some divine interaction. We will destroy the food chain.
Eating it, and destroying the habitat our food lives in.

We get extinct. In about 30 million years, nature will have recovered from her wounds and lives happily ever after. Without that nasty dissease that called itself human.

But he I agree. The oil spill will not kill the oceans.

~ Sinter

I'm not arguing over this causing harm to our planet. This shouldn't of happened in the first place. I'm disgusted we are so dependent on fossil fuels. Do I believe this is going to have an effect on us as to the extent stated by the MSM? No.

Methane in the ocean is indeed a problem, If the methane in the worlds oceans were to somehow get into our atmosphere, that is indeed a very scary thought, we're talking rapid global warming. The chances of that happening are slim to none thou.

All I'm trying to get across is, speculation and assumptions are nice to ponder, but to pass off as fact is another thing all together.

I apologize if I come off as rude towards anyone.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
The world was swept over by humans, one of the ultimate tests for earth.

That's like pouring HCl over someone's back and saying, "thanks for letting me use your skin for the smoke it produces."

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Gakus

Please forgive me for my enthusiastic rant ?

I do think this oil thing can be of bigger problems then you think.
That leak is according to the latest I read not going to be closed up for a long time.
The gulf coast might loose its sea life or a lot of it. The northern Atlantic is also effected.
Who knows what comes floating from the Gulf to the Atlantic everyday.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I also do not think its going to be as bad as everyone is making it out to be. Its a knee jerk reaction to a bad situation with no way to tell how bad things are going to be. We have nothing to look to in order to say hey look at this and this is what to expect. Damage is going to be equivalent to the amount of oil in the ocean> so that all depends on how long this goes on. I doubt that an oil leak going on for a year or more is going to cause minor damage so again this all depends on how long this goes on and how much oil leaks out. One other big problem noone seems to be addressing is how much oil is being lost that wont be getting used. As obama stated, Oil is a finite resource and we are already running out so this is making that problem that much worse. Every drop we loose is another drop of oil we have to buy from somewhere else.
The planet will recover and this is like a cut on your finger compared to the whole of the planet. Its human nature though to exacerbate things. So dont get to upset when people freak over stuff like this. Its always going to happen. I was a victim of overacting and irrational thinking during the hurrican Rita fiasco here in houston where i spent 16 hours on the run from a hurricane the media had me thinking was going to kill me with a single blow and i had to run. Ended up not even hitting houston at all. I ran because i was afraid and i was afraid because of the media.
I swore i would never do that again. I have lived and survived serveral hurricanes in houston in my life and because of katrina we were all afraid.
Fear is the enemy. Personally i am not afraid of the oil leak and the damageits going to do and done. Its going to make my life somehwat harder and affect prices and gas and such but thats it as far as i am concerned.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Gee thanks OP. I feel so much better now that you told me that well documented and verifiable info in your post!

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gakus
Why is it you people seem so content with spewing all this nonsense about the world ending? You sit there and honestly believe this will result in the death of our oceans? Are you truly that naive?

Basically we drilled a hole on the earth in the middle of a hub of a super highway of oil.

And we have to shut it down...

Things like this happen all the time, if it isn't one thing it's another, and yes I'm aware this is the largest spill in history. You really need to compose yourself with a little more dignity.

Will you people still be harping on about this in 4 months when most of the world has forgotten about it and moved on?

See you say that you understand that this is the largest spill in history.... But what you do not get is that we won't be done with this in 4 months, because this isn't a spill...

This is a LEAK!!!!!!

I'll say this again... In order to know the difference you must first pour a glass of water on the floor...

This is a spill...

Then turn on a hose and let it run for 60 days... This is the leak we are dealing with...

Only difference is there is no spicket anymore...

And there is a lake of oil at the bottom of the gulf now...

And this is just from the information we know already...

This oil, as soon as it catches the loop, will be down around Floridas peninsula, and up the east coast of America.

No, in 4 months, we in the southeast will most likely not have "moved on".

The air pollutants will effect this area for generations, which becomes much more of a certainty if a Hurricane takes aim at the gulf...

Probably not, thou I'm sure some of you will continue claiming it was a planned explosion to go along with some evil agenda. Frankly I'm disgusted with the amount of fear mongering going on over this.

Look, i don't even believe in the nwo but I do believe in human stupidity... And that is what is behind this....

And calling that out, and urging immediate action in this situation for fear that what has already happened to the ecology will continue to happen elsewhere, is not fear mongering.

Please save me the pitiful stories about how the wildlife is suffering over this as well. More animals are killed weekly for food than will die as a result of this spill. If you have such a huge problem with these animals dying, I suggest you stop eating meat as well, otherwise you are a hypocrite.

Do you know why I am bothered that these animals are dying? Because i love to eat these animals!

Some of us like gardens of fresh foods... Such as the gulf of Mexico....

So yes... I'm completely ticked off about what is happening to the wildlife down there, because that WAS my garden.... And the garden of many of us on this board.

The oceans won't die because of this.
The world isn't going to end because of this.

You don't seem to understand how precious the factor of time is in all of this...

Generations of fisherman and seafood businesses have shut down forever. They had to. Those businesses won't be coming back anytime soon, unless something very drastic occurs.

Now I fully expect a influx of posts claiming me to be a disinfo agent. Frankly that's what you fear mongering posters(not all just a select few) like to spew when someone disagrees with your insane theories.

Well, i will say that ad hominem attacks such as the ones you continue to engage in do detract from any sense of credibility you might believe yourself to have.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Gakus

S+F

Thank you OP for your intelligent, well thought out and completely spot-on post.

Nice to see a thread about the oil spill that doesn't begin with hysterical over-the-top doom mongering.

Exactly! Good point

I too am inclined to think that in a few months, this will have mostly 'blown over' as it were, and no doubt there will be another big news story to take its place.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by tappy]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by fizzy1

Damage is going to be equivalent to the amount of oil in the ocean

The thing is, it is not just oil leaking in the ocean. I understand there are loads of toxic gases released in the ocean. Methane clathrate or methane ice is said to leak more of ten the oil itself. Although I can not personally confirm that for a fact.

On top of an already damaged eco system.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   

So long and thanks for all the oil
So sad that it should come to this
We tried to warn you all but oh dear?

You may not share our intellect
Which might explain your disrespect
For all the natural wonders that
grow around you

So long, so long and thanks
for all the oil

The world's about to be destroyed
There's no point getting all annoyed
Lie back and let the planet dissolve

Despite those off shore drilling wells
We thought that most of you were sweet
Especially tiny tots and your
pregnant women

So long, so long, so long, so long, so long

for all the oil

(yeah)

So long and thanks for all the oil
So sad that it should come to this
We tried to warn you all but oh dear?

(oh dear)

Despite those off shore drilling wells
We thought that most of you were sweet
Especially tiny tots and your
pregnant women

for all the oil

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Things like this happen all the time, if it isn't one thing it's another, and yes I'm aware this is the largest spill in history.

Things like this DON'T happen all the time, this is a first and it is not a "spill", it's a GUSHER.

Perhaps you aren't aware that the world's fisheries in all the oceans are nearly exhausted. A UN report just came out a few weeks ago saying that within 30 - 50 years the oceans will be depleted by fishing. If this gusher keeps spewing oil for months, possibly decades it could tip the balance substantially. The ocean currents are such that the majority of the oil will stay in shallow waters and be blown or moved by wave action into the estuaries along the east coast just like it's doing in Louisiana right now.

We don;t know how to stop it. How long it can keep pumping oil is anyone's guess. To be complacent about this would like smiling at the train that is about to run you over.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals

Things like this happen all the time, if it isn't one thing it's another, and yes I'm aware this is the largest spill in history.

Things like this DON'T happen all the time, this is a first and it is not a "spill", it's a GUSHER.

Perhaps you aren't aware that the world's fisheries in all the oceans are nearly exhausted. A UN report just came out a few weeks ago saying that within 30 - 50 years the oceans will be depleted by fishing. If this gusher keeps spewing oil for months, possibly decades it could tip the balance substantially. The ocean currents are such that the majority of the oil will stay in shallow waters and be blown or moved by wave action into the estuaries along the east coast just like it's doing in Louisiana right now.

We don;t know how to stop it. How long it can keep pumping oil is anyone's guess. To be complacent about this would like smiling at the train that is about to run you over.

I'm sorry for my use of wording in the OP, I should of said "leak" not "spill."

When I said "things like this happen all the time" I felt it was implied I meant, nuclear holocaust, Y2K, swine flu and things of that nature. The MSM has a habit of exaggerating a great deal mainly to get ratings.

We eat millions upon millions of fish world-wide yearly. I highly doubt the total death toll as a result of this leak will reach remotely close to that number. Sea life is not going to die as a result of this. This isn't going to last forever.

The leak will be plugged up, within 3 months most of it will be contained. Please try to stay within the realm of reality.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by Gakus]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
reply to post by fizzy1

Damage is going to be equivalent to the amount of oil in the ocean

The thing is, it is not just oil leaking in the ocean. I understand there are loads of toxic gases released in the ocean. Methane clathrate or methane ice is said to leak more of ten the oil itself. Although I can not personally confirm that for a fact.

On top of an already damaged eco system.

Methane isn't going to be released on an epic scale and cause rapid global warming. Anyone claiming that to be the case is lying to get a few S&F's.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join