It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP clean-up crews stomp on [Endangered Species] Pelican eggs; destroy nests in LA wetlands

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   

"The lack of urgency and general disregard for Louisiana's wetlands and wildlife is enough to make you sick."

Conditions continue to become worse for the wetlands and wildlife in the LA. Gulf Coast area. Apparently, the clean-up crews hired by BP are so apathetic or ignorant enough that they trample Pelican nests (birds that just came off the Endangered Species List) and have left garbage and trash in the wetlands. Some mighty fine clean-up job going on.

Slideshow - Pictures of broken eggs and trampled nests

Crews cleaning up the oil in one Louisiana parish have trampled the nests and eggs of birds including the brown pelican, which came off the endangered species list last year, the head of the parish said Wednesday.

Plaquemines Parish President Billy Nungesser said the parish doesn't want to turn away contractors, but he called for more care when crews work in the sensitive wetlands. He said officials recently found broken eggs and crushed chicks on Queen Bess Island, near Grand Isle.

Plastic bags containing snare boom were "recklessly placed" around the island without consideration for wildlife. In one picture released by the parish, a plastic bag was on top of a nest containing broken speckled eggs.

This is disgusting and infuriating. The people hired and sent to help in the clean-up are actually doing their part in furthering the destruction to the fragile environment and species' who reside there...

[edit on 16-6-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   

"The people BP sent out to clean up oil trampled the nesting grounds of brown pelicans and other birds," he said. "Pelicans just came off the endangered species list in November of last year. They already have the oil affecting their population during their reproduction time, now we have the so-called clean up crews stomping eggs. (1)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c37daab2c007.jpg[/atsimg]
A Plaquemines Parish cleanup crew discovered broken eggs and crushed chicks on Queen Bess Island on Tuesday, and parish leaders are blaming crews cleaning up the oil spill for the damage.

Photos courtesy Plaquemines Parish government

[edit on 17-6-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
These aftershocks have already begun to spread out from the initial spill. Down to the microbial level it will go. Who has any idea when or if it will end?

So these wetlands still don't mean much to BP, no matter how much concern has been shown, nor explanations of this delicate area offered in heartfelt pleas.

Countdown to the destruction of our coast in only one generation, ten, nine, eight...

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
It's not bad enough they are destroying the wild life in the ocean, now these morons are destroying what's on the land - Unbelievable!

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

There is one reason and one reason only that this happened.

BP wants the devastation kept from the public as much as possible. We have seen other examples: no press, threats of arrest, confiscation of photo taking devices..

There are thousands of people willing to go there and work for no charge, and I can guarantee that those people would hold the surrounding areas in better regard. They control who gets in there and out, why? It isn't all about the money. They want to save face. You think they are destroying their reputation by hiding? Imagine if we could see an nth of the devastation that there really is.

Sick isn't the word for it..

[edit on 16-6-2010 by broahes]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   

No disrespect intended Lady.

If I were out there and had to either watch for water moccasins and gators VS. bird eggs? Birds are gonna loose.

If their oil soaked, their dead anyway.

I'd rather the place get clean.

On the same token, had everyone been careful, it wouldnt have led to all of this. Everyone and everyTHING is getting screwed over down there.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
They need their butts kicked out of the area! This is just more gruesome evidence to show how thier incompetence is astounding.

I am so so very sorry to read about this happening.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I've got no words for it...
( Well, I do but you know...)

I agree with them getting kicked out of there. What kind of person would let the criminal clean the crime scene anyway ?

Incompetent even....

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Copperflower

So true. Not only are the wildlife flocking to the wetlands because it's perceived as a safe place to be; and many are then dying never to be found (those already soaked in oil) but the wildlife that were already there (and who avoided the oil) are being destroyed by man in the bumbling attempts to clean up the mess we caused.

Oil Sends Wildlife Searching For Cleaner Shores

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
What BP should be doing is sending their workers along hand in hand with conservationists so any time a nest or other is discovered, they can try to save it. That's the proper way to clean the area.

There also needs to be doctors and scientists on site to monitor the workers health and environment. And it all needs to be public 24/7.

We should demand that Jefferson Parish put web cams on the beaches while the cleanup is going on.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
This is what happens when you employee criminals to clean up. They dont give a F***.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by felonius

You make a good point regarding safety - though it is (apparent from the article) that the officials do not believe that is a contributing factor to the destructive presence. It is "intimated" that the issue stems from lack of training and concern for the wildlife and basically - bumbling around - by the BP crews. Not only are they destroying nests and stepping on unhatched eggs, but it's been found that trash and plastic is being left behind.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by felonius

No disrespect intended Lady.

If I were out there and had to either watch for water moccasins and gators VS. bird eggs? Birds are gonna loose.

If their oil soaked, their dead anyway.

I'd rather the place get clean.

On the same token, had everyone been careful, it wouldnt have led to all of this. Everyone and everyTHING is getting screwed over down there.

That's why the people that are out there should be more than looking for a paycheck. There are plenty that are able and willing that could be out there.

There is no sign in that picture that those eggs were damaged by the oil.

Edit to add:

I wasn't trying to be an ass about the post I quoted, but I swim with these..

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3bac55547ff9.jpg[/atsimg]

.. every day of my life that the weather permits. Moccasins don't bother me in the least, as they will rarely attack unless stepped on. Why not look for an egg and a 3 foot snake all at the same time? At least you can tell a moccasin on the water because they are above water with their whole body, unlike the typical water snake that just has the head visible.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by broahes]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
BP clean-up crews stomp on [Endangered Species] Pelican eggs; destroy nests in LA wetlands

Not surprising.
Here's a pick of the clean-up crew in action:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1e5fbe6a0214.jpg[/atsimg]

- Lee

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   

This doesn't surprise me in the least because these people are not trained.

What fragile ecology is left is already riding on BP PLC to fix this problem.

And they already are killing off all marine life with the oil in the Gulf with oil.

This is disturbing because they cannot pull their collective heads out of their butts.

It is sad we cannot count on corporations to give a damn about the United States.

Let alone the ecosystem that is surrounding our country that will suffer for decades.

If it ever recovers.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   

You know whats really sad?

For every picture or photo op you see where they are cleaning off a duck or bird with soapy water there is usually a pile of hundreds that are too far gone that they simply kill and take out back behind the Cleanup tent and put it out of it's misery. You wont see those piles on prime time TV.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   
[sarcasm]
Come on, folks. You are being too harsh on BP. It´s obvious they are too worried about cleaning up their mess and they can't let nature get in the way of doing their job!
[/sarcasm]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

Don't know how true or to what extent this is true - but I read a report yesterday that BP was hiring from out of state and as far away as the west coast. Report has it that they are "better trained" than those locally.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   

I know I have heard from multiple source BP PLC is paying people big money.

And they are paying them not to work.

Meaning a few things.

One, that they are not coordinated, and two, they are terrified of non-professionals.

They smell lawsuits with the oil and metaphorical blood in the water.

[edit on 18-6-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join