It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lawyers Give Final Arguments In Prop 8 Case

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

That's true.

But it was a religious institution FIRST.

First.... since when? Ancient marriages were contractual ceremonies largely conducted by separate families and had nothing whatsoever to do with religion. It had a lot to do with property and the assurance that one's possessions were handed on to their offspring.

The modern idea of weddings - our ideas of them, i.e., a "religious institution" - are relatively new.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Hmm, I was going to do some research to prove you wrong, but in that research realized I'm the wrong one.

That was a preconceived notion of mine, thanks for getting rid of it for me.

In that case your completely right and I agree with everything you said

~Keeper

[edit on 6/17/2010 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

This.

There are a myriad of legal benefits for being a recognized couple. Civil unions do not go to the lengths in which marriage does.

Frankly though, I don't see why gay marriage as it is often thought of should be made legal. Just give civil unions the same benefits and extents as marriage. Even though marriage's foundations are not religious in nature, in this day and age they are considered religious to a degree.

I do not believe churches should be forced to allow gay marriage ceremonies. It should be their choice. And hell, there are churches that allow it. But for me the real argument for gay marriage comes from the legal point of view and in that degree they deserve every single right hetero marriages allow.

Lets just call it civil unions and be done with it. It doesn't "offend" the sanctity of marriage and gays get what gays deserve.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

That was a preconceived notion of mine, thanks for getting rid of it for me.

Not a problem

Busting up the myths that lead to modern-day bigotry makes me a happy man....

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join