It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sea creatures flee oil spill, gather near shore

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
GULF SHORES, Ala. – Dolphins and sharks are showing up in surprisingly shallow water just off the Florida coast. Mullets, crabs, rays and small fish congregate by the thousands off an Alabama pier. Birds covered in oil are crawling deep into marshes, never to be seen again.

Marine scientists studying the effects of the BP disaster are seeing some strange phenomena.

Fish and other wildlife seem to be fleeing the oil out in the Gulf and clustering in cleaner waters along the coast in a trend that some researchers see as a potentially troubling sign.

The animals' presence close to shore means their usual habitat is badly polluted, and the crowding could result in mass die-offs as fish run out of oxygen. Also, the animals could easily get devoured by predators.

Where did these people think they were gonna go? What a sad, sad, thing this is...

news.yahoo.com...

The migration of fish away from the oil spill can be good news for some coastal residents.

Tom Sabo has been fishing off Panama City, Fla., for years, and he's never seen the fishing better or the water any clearer than it was last weekend 16 to 20 miles off the coast. His fishing spot was far enough east that it wasn't affected by the pollution or federal restrictions, and it's possible that his huge catch of red snapper, grouper, king mackerel and amberjack was a result of fish fleeing the spill.

In Alabama, locals are seeing large schools hanging around piers where fishing has been banned, leading them to believe the fish feel safer now that they are not being disturbed by fishermen.

"We pretty much just got tired of catching fish," Sabo said. "It was just inordinately easy, and these were strong fish, nothing that was affected by oil. It's not just me. I had to wait at the cleaning table to clean fish."

Better get it while you can i say, soon all life in there will be dead or gone...

[edit on 16-6-2010 by baddmove]

[edit on 16-6-2010 by baddmove]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
That ecosystem is going to be destroyed. What a shame. My heart bleeds for these poor animals and creatures. What a freaking shame - someone should be hung by their danglers

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
You know i might be in the minority here , but i look at it like this,, we are basically renting this once pristine home, and when the landlord comes by for a visit to see how his tenant's and his investment are doing, well seriously what would u do?

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
This is another example how animals are more in tune with nature than us. They know when S is going to HTF and get out of dodge. I can't even imagine what they're going through. Imagine going to work one day, coming home, and your house was flooded with oil and two months later it was still spewing.

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

This is so sad, they have nowhere left to go. What options do these animals have, none, they take what we dish out, and can do nothing to protect their children or their own lives.

I starred and flagged you since this thread stuck a cord with me after visiting a local zoo today and being apalled by the tiny cages, narrow enclosures, and defeated looking animals.

This may be obvoius, but it's high time we had a little more respect for life everywhere.

[edit on 6/16/2010 by Hatcookie]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
The fish will have to go to the east coast

They will survive longer there

check this out

NOAA.gov

Its going to enter the big bend just east of the maps coverage

After that is destroyed it will then be time to say bye bye to the west coast of Florida

If the Florida peninsula wasn't there it would have been in South Carolina by now

[edit on 16-6-2010 by Nogard2012]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Hatcookie

Thank you..one thing my Grandfather taught me was.."always show respect to the creatures of the land, sky and sea, for one day they will rely on YOU to take care of them" and now, with this mess, I feel helpless, makes me really sad..

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
"Get it (the fish) while you can"??

Greed and self interest exists even on the lowest levels.

This is tragic news. Where are the rescue crews? Where is seaworld? Greenpeace? Sierra? Nature conservancy? Why are all these "benevolent" institutions not at the forefront manning a rescue operation?

link   

Originally posted by Hatcookie

I starred and flagged you since this thread stuck a cord with me after visiting a local zoo today and being apalled by the tiny cages, narrow enclosures, and defeated looking animals.

How conflicting.

On one hand you feel bad for caged animals (as do I).

But on the other hand, you paid the zoo keepers to continue doing this. I am assuming the local zoo has a small cover charge to get in, like 5$. My local zoo is 5$ for adults, 3$ for kids.

And in our third hand, we have the grim reality that the original habitats of many of these animals have been destroyed, and the zoo is really the only decent place left for them to have a decent life in.

I bet all of these animals fleeing the oil would love to be in a aquatic zoo right now. They would be safe in there.

I am not against zoos. But I do believe that they need to be bigger, and give their captives WAY more space. As long as they are treated extremely well, and have a good habitat, the zoo is not bad at all.

Also consider the tons of kids that we can educate with zoos. We can teach them conservation and show them exactly what animals need to be saved up front face to face. This type of education will go so far in creating a generation of people who CARE about keeping Earth a nice place.

So in the end, I am supportive of Zoos. To an extent. And there is a thousand things they need to improve about them. We have a long way to go, and a lot of work to do.

link   
I feel for the animals.

I care more for human beings and this event has started a cascading effect on the food chain.

Do not be afraid of destiny.

Revelation 16:3

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alethea
This is tragic news. Where are the rescue crews? Where is seaworld? Greenpeace? Sierra? Nature conservancy? Why are all these "benevolent" institutions not at the forefront manning a rescue operation?

That is an extremely relevant question. Where are they?

Perhaps their Illuminated leadership does not want them to intervene right now? I wonder why?

All of those organizations are connected to elite multi-nationalists. And they have ulterior motives.

I do not consider any of them "benevolent", but that is what they claim to be in the public.

But yet they have not been in the news lately. So I wonder why they are not making a huge fuss about this yet??

It is super suspicious I must say.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

People still need to eat my friend..

No one knows where Greenpeace or Willie Nelson are for some reason.

where are all the concerts and events to help clean this mess up and save the wildlife? No one seems to know..

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
First the animals. Next the humans.

Moo-hahahaha!

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I guess it's official now,
...times are so bad even the sea creatures are homeless.

Let the ass kicking begin!!

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
NOTHING TO SEE HERE FOLKS ... JUST ANOTHER MEDIA PROPAGANDA!!

... sure sure ... well, thats what some BP workers are saying here on ATS in other threads

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Who will eat fish at this point? I dont eat fish- I hate the taste of all seafood. But it seems to me- that at some point- the fish that are being caught, sold to distribution centers, and made into fillets either for McDonalds or your fancy restaurant- how will it be tracked where it was caught?

Anything caught near the oil spill will have mass contamination. When the fish enhales through its gills it absorbes oxygen through the water and enhales oil. I cant see how this oil, and the chemicals used in the oil spill, wont be absorbed and be disbursed though its blood stream- thus into the muscles of the fish- straight into our stomachs.

I want to know why nothing has been said about this, very important subject.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Originally posted by Hatcookie

How conflicting.

On one hand you feel bad for caged animals (as do I).

But on the other hand, you paid the zoo keepers to continue doing this. I am assuming the local zoo has a small cover charge to get in, like 5$. My local zoo is 5$ for adults, 3$ for kids.

Being that I haven't been to any zoo since I was about 10 years old I didn't remember what it was like, and yes I paid for admission, and yes I feel bad. Hopefully the $20 I paid for myself and my son will contribute to improving this particular zoo.

However, IN MY OPINION, I don't think the animals in the gulf are screaming for seaworld to come rescue them.

I wouldn't want to live out the rest of my life in a cage. But thats just me...

[edit on 6/16/2010 by Hatcookie]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
O.K. back on topic now...

The nearly two-month-old spill has created an environmental catastrophe unparalleled in U.S. history as tens of millions of gallons of oil have spewed into the Gulf of Mexico ecosystem. Scientists are seeing some unusual things as they try to understand the effects on thousands of species of marine life.

Day by day, scientists in boats tally up dead birds, sea turtles and other animals, but the toll is surprisingly small given the size of the disaster. The latest figures show that 783 birds, 353 turtles and 41 mammals have died — numbers that pale in comparison to what happened after the Exxon Valdez disaster in Alaska in 1989, when 250,000 birds and 2,800 otters are believed to have died.

Now we know why..they are all running for their lives to cleaner water where they can find it..

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
After reading several other post about the oil spill, i see that people keep wondering why no one talks about anything besides BP, well, here is a thread about the wildlife that just died in the water, so to speak..c'mon people, let's read this and comment on it..

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
As the oil spreads in the Bay and forces animals into shallow waters, so fascism spreads in the states all over the world and we are herded into the concentration camps, where we will be executed...

Dark thinking?

[edit on 17-6-2010 by DangerDeath]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join