It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deadly 'Star Wars Lightsabre' Sold To UK

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I am someone against the banning of things like airguns and whatnot, but I have a problem with this laser, namely that it is attractive to idiots simply because of what it is. Hopefully the price will put the breaks on delinquint teenagers and other assorted losers getting their hands on it.

It's a great innovation, but I don't trust my fellow man enough with it in public places.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by mithrawept
What madness is this?

No one would advocate this once your child has had their retinas burnt out in the playground for a laugh.

Well, if you people would stop having children we wouldnt have to worry about their retinas, now would we? Why get rid of the lasers when we can just stop having children? Huh?

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

The big thing people seem to be missing is that, they can make these illegal but they won't be able to enforce the law.
Anyone with a screw driver and a soildering gun can make one.
What is going to be cool is that hand guns that go bang, are going to be out dated.

Go to you tube / how to build laser gun or build star Trek laser gun.
I am not aware of how to enbed this, if someone would is, pretty cool.

Edit to change boom to bang and dot one I

[edit on 17-6-2010 by googolplex]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   
For those of you interested in specs..Its a level 4 laser which is only needs a watt of power.

If you ask me these things are extremely dangerous especially cause its an innocuous looking device which easily fit in a pocket and has long range unlike a handgun.

Most people won't even realize whats happening until its too late.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
in the words of a rap group called onyx, i say " zooomphhhh, i'll take your money and your life"

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
My cousin just purchased one of these from wicked lasers.

It was a blue one, the guy wants to seriously mount it to the bottom of his rifle, He's a police officer by the way.

I told him this 1W lasers are no joke and leaves ZERO room for takebacks if you do the wrong thing. i feel sorry for him and his impending disaster along with his two young boys.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I want one too, glad I wasn't the only person here who thought it sounded cool. That said, there are a lot of people whom I wouldn't trust with such a gizmo. They should bring out a license to carry.
Only those with the Jedi ways can carry one, the darkside are not permitted.

[edit on 18-6-2010 by Wide-Eyes]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by googolplex

Here is your video.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Leonardo01
For those of you interested in specs..Its a level 4 laser which is only needs a watt of power.

If you ask me these things are extremely dangerous especially cause its an innocuous looking device which easily fit in a pocket and has long range unlike a handgun.

Most people won't even realize whats happening until its too late.

Yea, just think your in a knife fight the other guy pulls his knife out, totally illegal, you whip out your totally legal Laser, and tell the guy to back off, he laughs at you.
Then from 10 ft away you burn his eyeballs out of his head, maybe start with 1 to give him a break and to see
what he's up against.
If he doesn't back off then it's just the smell of burning flesh, police come arrest him, pat you on the back, for defending yourself with a blue laser pointer.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Originally posted by LurkerMan
im surprised at the amount of people commenting on this who have obviously not even visited the site in question.

let alone done any further investigation.

I am surprised that you think it's not a weapon.

I don't need to kill someone to prove to you it works. I think you should be able to figure that out yourself. But it would only take a few minutes to totally kill someone with this.

Your position on this baffles me.

One funny thing I was wondering about. Would a mirror reflect and defend you from such a laser attack?

If so, that would be weird. Maybe mirrors will become a type of body armor or shielding??

my position baffles you?

like i said before, show me where on the site do they refer to this as a "light sabre" or a weapon.

www.wickedlasers.com heres the link

nowhere on the sight do you find the words "light sabre"

why is that so baffling? oh maybe because your just blindly following an article, and i actually went to the site and bought one.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by LurkerMan

This is from their site.

"The versatile Spyder II features a solid-state. electronically regulated laser module that generates 300mW of tactical-level light - enough to overwhelm an opponent's vision at up to 1km. TeslaCool™ Thermoelectric cooling enables the Spyder II to run nonstop for 80 minutes. Aerospace-grade aluminum hard anodized to military specs makes the Spyder II tougher than nails"

from above
enough to overwhelm an opponent's vision at up to 1km.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
This is sweet. Now I can finally dispose of Mr. Bond. He's been chained in the torture chamber of my secret lair for far too long, and my lackeys keep spilling the beans on my nefarious schemes.

As for irresponsible, punk teens and these lasers: I think we're at far greater risk of them burning juvenile cartoon drawings of penises onto our movie screens than forming unstoppable gangs of LazrTeens.

By the way, I'm totally copyrighting LazrTeens, so don't dare steal it.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by googolplex

that is not the model we are discussing. we are discussing the arctic spider 3 which is different from the model your talking about in just about every way a laser could be different.

i already explained how the low end green lasers do not have the same hazards that the blue lasers do. that is why the "photonic disruptor", just like the "Spyder II" are green, because they are meant to temporarily blind. (if directed at someone, which is not recommended at certain distances or for certain lengths of time)

the arctic, which is blue, and roughly 3 times the strength of that one, opens a whole new can of worms when it comes to shining it at people.

hence all the warnings saying NOT TO SHINE IT AT PEOPLE.

matter of fact here ill just post the entire description from the actual website about the actual model being discussed.

[edit on 18-6-2010 by LurkerMan]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

And more concerning is why they would report on it???? All they are gonna do is make people realise they exist and inevitably buy 1.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
"Wicked Lasers radically redefines the way we see lasers yet again. For the first time in history, direct blue laser diodes have now become available in the consumer market. The laser powered home theater projector is the first of a large family of audio and video media technology to feature direct blue diodes. Wicked Lasers took the direct blue laser diode components and made the world's first 445nm direct blue diode laser, the Arctic.

The Artic emits a 445nm cool blue, ultra high power 1W beam which appears up to 4000% brighter than the Sonar's 405nm violet beam. This direct blue laser diode is the result of the evolution of laser technology. Less than one year ago, this laser would have cost thousands of dollars to build. Don't let the Arctic name fool you, this laser possesses the most burning capabilities of any portable laser in existence. That's why it's also the most dangerous laser ever created.

In recognizing and mastering the power of direct blue diodes, the Wicked Lasers' Arctic shall become the standard by which all other blue lasers are judged.

Wicked Lasers responds by adding buyer requirements for Class 4 Portable Lasers

Warning: Extremely dangerous is an understatement to 1W of laser power. At close range, this Class 4 beam will cause immediate and irreversable retinal damage. Use with extreme caution and use only when wearing proper safety goggles with an O.D. of 3+ is required and 4.4+ for longer exposures. Customers will be required to completely read and agree to our Class 4 Laser Hazard Acknowledgment Form..

*Supplies are extremely limited as voluntary and regulatory restrictions increase the difficulty to purchase Class IV portable lasers."

thats just the product description, excluding all the additional saftey forms and waivers.

i cant for the life of me anywhere in that description find the words "light sabre" or "weapon" or anything suggesting it should be used as such. the only reference it makes to use is with cutting (which is believe it or not what class 4 lasers are USED FOR)

then later on the waiver, it reiterates that its intended for people with class 4 laser training. which 99% of everybody is just ignoring.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I have and love lasers but i doubt that this
laser is 1 watt! 100MW maybe but not 1 watt.

it may be a blu ray diode of about 30-90 MW
still not a toy but you wont get an off the shelf
laser well not a blu ray for 100$ if it is 1 watt.

on a side note great for those pesky CCTV cameras
ZAP bye bye eye in the sky

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
this looks amazning am getting one. am going to shine it at the moon...
but really what good is it ? it dose look cool tho.
if a 200mw laser pointer can set matchs on fire and melt bags and pop balloons just think what this bad boy can do....

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I ordered one of these about a week or two ago, but they are pushing back shipping for at least another two weeks so that they can add additional safety features to each arctic laser, here is the email I recieved from Wicked Lasers:

"Thank you for purchasing our Spyder III Arctic

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
got my arctic g1. its hitting around 800mw. ill try to post some pics up asap

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join