It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deadly 'Star Wars Lightsabre' Sold To UK

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
www.wickedlasers.com...

Although very dangerous if pointed at eyes,this laser will only burn things at approx 15ft max.(eye damage much further)
Its not intended as some crazy weapon,although in the hands of idiots it could blind people at close range.

This is the problem with such cool technology.
It has its benefits,in this case I bet its an awesome laser for pointing at stars for astronomical purposes.
I have a 35mw green laser,which is awsome enough for star pointing,and still high powered enough to need to take proper precautions during use.
Even 35mw can cause permenant eye damage,or affect air traffic-this new model in the OP is 1000mw (or 1watt).

Not to be used as a toy ever.

NO lasers should be misused IMO,especially high powered units like in the OP.

But responsible users should still be allowed to buy them IMO.
Sadly I get the feeling that lasers will soon become the next gov/media target,and will soon all be banned above say 10mw...

Hope I am wrong though folks.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlegmi

I'm shocked that people are all excited about using this thing. Pop a kids balloon with it? And if someone bumps you and you aim it at the kids face instead?

From the OP source:

so powerful it can instantly blind and "set fire to skin and other body parts"

As well as blinding, burning and causing cancer, its Hong Kong-based maker admits that "a split-second laser light in a plane cockpit (...) can be disastrous".

This thing is not some toy to go around popping kids' balloons with. I know you were probably just trying to be funny and sorry for picking on you but your comments is just a great representation of everyone else's comments acting like this think is some cool toy to have.

edit: fix bold tags

[edit on 17-6-2010 by nunya13]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
im surprised at the amount of people commenting on this who have obviously not even visited the site in question.

let alone done any further investigation.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I am almost never on the side of "banning" the sale of weapons, but this one makes me really go "hmmm." It sure seems like it has little redeeming value, and an enormous potential for accidental injury.

That said, I also kinda want one. Even though I would be afraid to use it.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
heres the letter from the FDA

www.wickedlasers.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by LurkerMan
im surprised at the amount of people commenting on this who have obviously not even visited the site in question.

let alone done any further investigation.

I am surprised that you think it's not a weapon.

I don't need to kill someone to prove to you it works. I think you should be able to figure that out yourself. But it would only take a few minutes to totally kill someone with this.

Your position on this baffles me.

One funny thing I was wondering about. Would a mirror reflect and defend you from such a laser attack?

If so, that would be weird. Maybe mirrors will become a type of body armor or shielding??

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

I have a 450mw green laser that I bought from that website. I used to shine it at the kids that were playing a block away and they would chase the green dot as I would shine it on cars and walls. One time a kid ran across the beam and I hear "ouch my eyes!" I went in the house and didnt that that again

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
GEE, lets put this in the hands of terrorists everywhere. blinding people from afar. hmmm.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlegmi

You blinded that child, good job, was it fun? That person may never see right again out of that eye. Maybe some day you bring it out and blind the guy next door you don't like. This is no good to people who just dabble with it let alone in the hands of a terrorist.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
The thing is a wadte of money. Check out the You Tube videos on it.
2nd.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by nite owl

I was actually thinking that this would be a pretty nifty thing for terrorists to have if it really wrecks havoc on pilots. Much cheaper than traditional anti aircraft weaponry too.

Not that I advocate in any way terrorists buying this laser. It just did cross my mind that it would be pretty hand for them if what they say about it is true.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
If they are selling these to the public , you know the the Governments have much stronger ones.
You know they have them that are strong enought to cut things in half.
The average person should be able to make one of these that is much stronger, and will cut people in half and cut off arms legs, heads.
You should be able to focus beam to say three or four ft. and still have good effect.
One thing is in a battle when you cross beams it will not flash, as in star wars, unless by chance you hit a bug at the same instance, then you would get fiz I'm sure.
My lite saber is bigger, stronger, longer than yours.

May the force be with you.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
This is quite scary actually, I have seen other 1 Watt lasers, but they require a machine that is small enough to fit in a backpack. I fear the day when the 1 TRILLION Watt laser which currently takes up a warehouse, can fit in a hand held device.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Important things you can do with your $197 blue laser.

If we ban this, how will we ever light matches? Burn wallets? and cut electrical tape? People please! Dont be calling for a ban of something so potentially useful to geeks everywhere!

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Don't worry you will be able to make your own bigger and stronger, it will be illegal, just think though guns will be out dated.

This will put new twist on giving someone a hot foot.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by googolplex]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
What madness is this?

No one would advocate this once your child has had their retinas burnt out in the playground for a laugh.

Welcome to the 21st century.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
so you will ban a bottle of bleach? you could get it in some ones eye! in UK we can buy Air Rifles. they can do a lot more harm than this laser. they have not band them? its just that it is a laser and future tec that scars people. people will complain and the government will appease them. just to let them think they are doing what the people want. to shine a laser at a pilot you would have to be on the correct angle. you can not just shine it in the sky. landing and take off. I do admit that for criminals this is a god send. and that has me worried.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
This thing looks pretty dangerous, probably wouldn't it lying around if you had kids.

Warning: Extremely dangerous is an understatement to 1W of laser power. At close range, this Class 4 beam will cause immediate and irreversable retinal damage. Use with extreme caution and use only when wearing proper safety goggles with an O.D. of 3+ is required and 4.4+ for longer exposures. Customers will be required to completely read and agree to our Class 4 Laser Hazard Acknowledgment Form..

Spyder III laser

I'd hate to see what would happen if it was pointed at a plane.

Edit: Spellin'.

[edit on 17/6/10 by WishForWings]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by WishForWings

Yes it has a key so not just anyone can play with it, like your 2 year old.
But this will not be able to put ban on, you can take apart dvd, blue ray equiment and build your own.
I was thinking with optics to put like 10 of these together, then you could cut things in half.
Hook it up to a machine and computer, then you could cut about 50 things in half in a second.
The world has to end in 2012, things are about get out of control, time to start over again.
I don't want to shoot one person, I want to turn on beam and cut everything in half, people, cars, buildings, everything cut in half.

generates 300mW of tactical-level light - enough to overwhelm an opponent's vision at up to 1km.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by googolplex]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
reply to post by nite owl

I was actually thinking that this would be a pretty nifty thing for terrorists to have if it really wrecks havoc on pilots. Much cheaper than traditional anti aircraft weaponry too.

People have used lasers in that way for quite some time. Back in the mid 90's I flew a mission over the Med to investigate a ship which was using lasers to try to blind any approaching pilots. The entire crew on my aircraft had to wear special goggles which were supposed to minimize the hazard. Though there has been no use of such lasers in the Gulf that I know of.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join