It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deadly 'Star Wars Lightsabre' Sold To UK

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Cool!

...zjoom, zjoom...zjoom zjoom...zjoom zjoom...

..It was unwise to lower your defense!...

..krrr..zjoom zjoom, zjoom zjoom.

I have to get me one.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
You know, call me old school, but...

... I'm still one of those anti-hero sci-fi types who prefer to rely on good ol fashioned lead bullets. So when the badguy fires his laser pistol at me, I always bring out my good ol' trusted six-shooter. No laser can best a good ol' fashioned lead overdose.

It's still kickass cool, though. The trekkies are going to get SO jealous of the Warsies this time.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by LurkerMan

the link to the youtube videos is showing the "Spyder III" which is quite different from the ARCTIC Spyder III.

the ones on youtube are 100mw. the arctic is 10 times that.

Hmm. I've updated my post, but it's not completely clear which models those videos depict. The Sypder III Pro series appears to come in ranges from 50mW to 500mW, but the videos I linked claim a "400mW to 750mW" peak range. They may be the 400mW model.

For comparison, here is a 1000mW laser burning through cardboard. It takes a good 15 seconds, and that seems comparable to what we're seeing in the previous videos.

Where are you seeing that the youtube videos are of the 50mW model?

i already ordered mine

Sounds like a fun toy. When you get it in a few weeks, would you post a video of what it can do?

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I got this off web site, but are they selling these as weapon also, that's what it sounds like.

"The versatile Spyder II features a solid-state. electronically regulated laser module that generates 300mW of tactical-level light - enough to overwhelm an opponent's vision at up to 1km. TeslaCool™ Thermoelectric cooling enables the Spyder II to run nonstop for 80 minutes. Aerospace-grade aluminum hard anodized to military specs makes the Spyder II tougher than nails"

What does this mean opponent's vision?

I saw on you tube you can build blue light laser that will burn things.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by David_Reale

... I'm still one of those anti-hero sci-fi types who prefer to rely on good ol fashioned lead bullets. So when the badguy fires his laser pistol at me, I always bring out my good ol' trusted six-shooter. No laser can best a good ol' fashioned lead overdose.

That laser could set a man on fire from a mile away (if it consists of multiple lasers)

You also can't hit what you can't see - and lasers blind you. These ones do it permanently.

*They're gonna have to think of some nasty penalties for sickos who hurt people with these lasers.

Edit:

Wait until the kids get ahold of these....

[edit on 17-6-2010 by Exuberant1]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Awolscout
reply to post by CX

The answer why is because it's awesome.

I already heard about this and I would love to order one, it's incredible development and a great toy to play with, in fact it's a very narrow beam and they're having issues spreading the laser to a full blade size sadly.

That said this is no different than a gun is it? It can cause harm and shouldn't be played around with. So the question is if you have a problem with this, then do you also have an issue with weapons or other tools?

Yes it's as if you bought a smg and you start shooting continuously in your room. Because it's what your are going to do with your laser.

It's terrible.You don't play with a gun.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by ickylevel]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
reply to post by CX

I don't see the problem with these things. From that news report, we don't even know the range of these things to gauge its possible danger. Regardless, how cool is that? I'm not even a Star Wars fan, yet I find this laser to be extraordinarily cool.

I happen to be of the school that if everyone was armed, or at least the majority of people, crime would go down, drastically. I wonder if they ship to the US.

--airspoon

It's stupid to give cancer to someone trying to defend yourself. This is a stupid pain gadget , not a weapon. And you can harm yourself pretty easily even with protection glasses, and your eyes can be affected even if you just look at the pointer on an object.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by ickylevel]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ickylevel

Hey Ickylevel,

If you don't mind, I'd like to get your take on a couple of things regarding these new devices;

What do you think the penalty should be for those who use these lasers to injure others?

FYI, I think that we should not differentiate between those who use the lasers to permanently injure and those who cause temporary injuries. Would you concur?

XL5

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Cancer? Laser light doesn't give people cancer. If it were low power UV light, then maybe. 1 watt will hurt enough that the user or victim won't let the pain to continue and avert however possible. Its also 445nm which is above the UV threshold. IMO blindness is the major problem.

A matchs flame is more then 1 watt of heat power, candles are about 70watts, still not that deadly.

edit: unless it burns your house down with you or others in it.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by XL5]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ickylevel

It's stupid to give cancer to someone trying to defend yourself. This is a stupid pain gadget , not a weapon. And you can harm yourself pretty easily even with protection glasses, and your eyes can be affected even if you just look at the pointer on an object.

Weapons with the sole purpose of inflicting pain are extremely useful and in some cases, more useful than lethal weapons. Furthermore, if the operator gets hurt using it, it is his/her own fault. They should have weighed the risks before operating it. Just because someone may or may not get hurt by operating an object or device, doesn't mean that they should be banned or even regulated. People need to take responsibility for their own actions and not rely on government to save them whenever there might be danger. Those that do, are bound to find themselves in a perilous situation sooner or later.

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Reply to post by muzzleflash

What can't harm someone if misused?

You have a license for those matches, boy?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

i made the same mistake when i was searching for a video of the arctic, the lady told me the old spyder/pro series is different technology (DDPS or something), the ones i saw on youtube were 100mw that were modified, and arent an accurate depiction of the 1W model. the spyder series was their most popular, but im told the only similarity is the casing and battery charger.

as for me i dont plan on fighting sith lords with it, but engraving messages and images in wood and other things. welding goggles should be sufficient eye protection plus they give you a free pair of "laser shades".

as for the UV dangers, they are there in the laser world but wickedlasers install UV filters on every model, so it shouldnt be an issue if you order from them. i have a chinease 200mw green laser that i did not order from them and it does not have a UV filter...so out of those 200 milliwatts only about 50-100 come through as visible light, the rest is UV that you can only see through night vision goggles. some folks take off the UV filter which effectivly raises the peak power by letting the UV through, this doesnt make it any brighter but adds to the burning effect. thats most likely what is going on when you read 400-750 peak power. theres other modifications that people do too, like the 5mw greens you buy in the store can easily become 50mw by opening up and turning a little screw about 90 degrees.

also lasers in the blue spectrum have a hazard of their own, they are specially bad for your eyes. too much exposure to blue light (not even directly) will effect your ability to see the color green permanently (according to WL)

i suggest if you folks are planning on ordering one you do it soon. i have a feeling the first wave of orders to ship out may be the only wave to ship before they are banned. and its not the burning/blinding capabilities that makes it dangerous, its the distance its able to do so from (in my opinion)

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
FUnniest thing is they make it out that it's only bad because it's class IV! Class IIIB, (under 500mw, visible range) just looking at diffuse reflection from the spot at a reasonably close range (edit: with a reasonably shiny to laser *and not necessarily your eyes* surface) is enough to get you. Then increase that capability a few times by the increased energy density of a 445nm blue laser and the 1W output and you're looking at serious trouble. Put it this way my 2W RGB/white light class IV laser will melt a chair and smoke things, pop balloons at 10m with a hugely divergant beam compared to a pointer. A 1W 445 nm highly focused pencil beam with 50% of the power output but with much higher energy density, will cause more damage than my 2W guranteed. Blue to UV is what does the best burning for visible coloured lasers. Us laser fanboys and professionals can't complain however, we've always wished for mass produced blue that wasn't 405nm blu ray, they're so darn cheap now!

Worst part is there has been very little study into commercial usage of 445nm show or pointer lasers which is getting UV or what your sunglasses are just starting to block out.. this is extremely damaging for photochemical cells in your eyes. The only studies i've heard of have been into higher wavelength 473nm blue which is an extremely expensive light blue, which is basically what everyone including me has been stuck with till now for commercial usage. We're talking 3000usd or more for 250mw of power, leading often to unbalanced, non white laser projectors. This is why a 1W 445nm for $200 in a pointer or even less as raw diodes, about $30usd, is why this is not good for laser enthusiasts and laser show professionals! Cheap ridiculously high powered lasers = govt ban mittens come out.

I'm still going to try pick one up or build my own for much less.. $200 is a steal. I wish I'd never bought my laser display blue, could have built a 15W 445nm sticky taped bundle of wicked laser death

[edit on 17/6/10 by GhostR1der]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I...so..want one. I'd be the coolest kid on the block!

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
They dont just dish out lightsabers to anyone, it takes jedi skills to be able to master a lightsaber and use it correctly. Until an official jedi training scheme is set up these should be considered dangerous weapons.

I know its not as clumsy and random as a blaster, but surely some Jedi training should be required

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I'd better hurry up and pick this baby up before they slam the door on sales of it to the US.

Now THAT is a fun toy to have in case the SHTF around here. Just think of the self-defense capability with this thing! Can it blow out car tires?

Geeze what will people come up with next?

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Whatever you do, don't shine it directly into a camera! it will leave permanent lines permanently burned into the sensor, not to mention possibly your eyeball.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by thaknobodi
Whatever you do, don't shine it directly into a camera! it will leave permanent lines permanently burned into the sensor, not to mention possibly your eyeball.

In some cases lasers can crack and melt the sillicon with the localised heating
thats when the whole screen goes in one whack instead of giving you lovely black dots. You can usually warranty it (pixels) if it's still under..

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX

Ok the obvious question has to be why on earth would they make something like this to sell in the first place?

Never again will people take the mick out of a trekkie with a pretend light sabre!

Surely authorities in Hong Kong can do something to shut this manufacturer down?

The consequences of one of these things ending up in anyones hands just doesn't even bare thinking about, the small pen laser pointers are already considered a problem to the likes of aircraft.

CX.

news.s ky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16/6/10 by CX]

Hey maybe because the UK has the highest crime rate in europe while having NO guns(the wonders of gun control yeah?).

So the citizens have to have something to protect themselves!

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join