It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans (and others) What is your PROBLEM!???

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by dampnickers

I'm a Brit, and while I understand your points about BP's identity as now being anything beyond essentially another global entity, rather than British, (despite their head offices being listed in London), I am not so convinced that you can argue that they should not be held accountable.

Yes, the USA government in retrospect didn't regulate them as tightly as they should have (where were those Nobel awarded top scientists when government assessed and licenced this project?) Yes other parties were involved, but, BP appear to have been clearly identified as the ones who pushed those on the rig, and those engineering the well/rig to do things that, ultimately, lead to this failure. Increasingly they are also accused of negligence in that role, and other than the USA government, there appears to have been no higher or over-reaching power on this project than BP?

PS - Please read the post by Billyjack on p.14 of "I am sorry to report well is crippled down hole very long read" by jeffrybinladen - now who do you think is to blame?

[edit on 16-6-2010 by curioustype]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
No star No flag for the op...

this is another blatent attempt to clog the boards with useless bickering. i didnt even want to reply to this because i felt i should let it die it own dreary death, but then i saw it had 7 flags???why would you flag this piece of tra-- i mean um..political manuevering.
this does nothing more than distract us from the real info..

im an american and i dont blame brits i blame the company,both american and british owners...

thats my 2 cents..or in the spirit of diplomacy, thats my two pence

~meathead

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Needless to say, no one can read everything...

Exactly where is it that people are blaming the UK for this?

Or are the people of Great Britain so heavily vested in a company with the name "British" in it that to complain of them is to complain about the nation herself, or her people?

How much sensitivity does it require to ignore the events because of the name of a company. Do you really think it would have made a difference if the company's name was American Petroleum?

When corporations become transnational powerhouses and prime components of cartels, their supposed 'nationality' is as relevant as the color of their logo.

link   
If BP is an american company as some of you like to say then why all the moaning and groaning about how the US is dealing with them. If it is not a british company then why do you care what we do? Oh wait they are a british held company with a small percentage of ownership american. You need to stop bashing on americans and deal with it a British company screwed up in american waters and now they take responcibility and thats what should be done. Doesn't England have a little situation of their own they should worry about, I think its called the Falkland Islands. enough said. Argentina still wants there island back.

link   
reply to post by Mr Objectivity

That's correct, its BP guys who wanted to rush things along, BP guy who said dont worry about the rubber blowout preventer pieces coming up the pipe. So on and so forth.

It has nothing to do with the "brits", it has to do with just one or maybe a handful of persons, at BP, who made these decisions. Seriously, where are the criminal negligence charges, one would think.... oh nevermind obama-power is going to save the gulf

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by dampnickers
Why are you all bitching about BP?

The rig was under lease to BP until 2013 from an AMERICAN company.

That is 100% correct. BP was running this thing when it went down. So if I am leasing a house from someone and I burn it to the ground I shouldn't be held liable? Better yet if I am leasing a car from general motors corporation and I decide to disregard the recommended oil change schedule and drive it 30k miles without changing the oil they should be responsible if it blows the engine?

So why is it that the BRITISH are responsible?

British lease holder (BP), British company (BP), British responsibility (BP).

Every thread I have looked at related to this issue blames the British and British Petroleum for this disaster.

See above. Same thing.

It seems like a case of scapegoats to me...

Please......

[edit on 6/16/2010 by SpaDe_]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Just my 2 cents, but the fact that this has happened in US waters is enough to make American people mad. Just look at the damage it has done so far, and what more is to come. It has affected the local economy badly.

Some food for thought, if this happened in British waters, don't you think the Brits would be infuriated too?

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by LarryLove

I agree, this site has turned into a pile of s*** recently. No one caring for the facts and everyone wants to spew hate and anger from their online soapboxes.

Time to change.

Show me where I am guilty. lol.

I have been saying in many threads:

1) This is all humanities fault for DEMANDING cheaper oil
2) We vote with our $$$

But seriously, if you want to willfully ignore MY posts and pretend that "Everyone wants to spew hate" enjoy your ignorance.

BTW I think ATS is fine.

It is NOT a pile o ****. No way.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by tsurfer2000h
If BP is an american company as some of you like to say then why all the moaning and groaning about how the US is dealing with them. If it is not a british company then why do you care what we do? Oh wait they are a british held company with a small percentage of ownership american. You need to stop bashing on americans and deal with it a British company screwed up in american waters and now they take responcibility and thats what should be done. Doesn't England have a little situation of their own they should worry about, I think its called the Falkland Islands. enough said. Argentina still wants there island back.

Well, you've reached the top of the food chain with your supreme knowledge of current affairs and understanding of percentages.

What are you talking about?

link   
The angst is directed at British Petroleum, not British People. Take it easy mate. Let's get that keg tapped in the name of friendship and down a few pints already.

link   

Originally posted by 25cents
A rig built by Koreans and operated by Americans - under the DIRECTION of a British company. The practices and policies were implemented by BP. Certainly, there need to be repurcussions for any party that is found to have been neglectful, but BP is the company who made the decision to drill, and they're the ones responsible for the policies that caused this to happen. The lions share of the guilt does belong to BP.

That being said, let's focus more on getting it fixed than who we're going to string up. It's completely unproductive to throw stones.

Have we looked at just who "OWNS" BP?

I doubt it.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   

We Do not Blame The British. the media is trying to make tension between the british and US.

many People Know that BP is an international Company.

Even BP Admits it is liable.

now, with all the given information on the subject, i take offense to your anti-american Ignorance.

i am a Gulf of Mexico Resident, and yes i am pissed. all the damage that will happen to the economy, the damage to wildlife, the lack of leadership in the BP-Fed Alliance on what i would call the "war on oil". and etc etc .

thats our problem.

link   
www.bp.com...

Majority stock is British. That being said, the British people aren't to be held to fault, by ANY means. I shudder at the thought of Americans being held responsible for Wal-Mart, Exxon or mcdonalds.

link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

I agree, this site has turned into a pile of s*** recently. No one caring for the facts and everyone wants to spew hate and anger from their online soapboxes.

Time to change.

2) We vote with our $$$

But seriously, if you want to willfully ignore MY posts and pretend that "Everyone wants to spew hate" enjoy your ignorance.

BTW I think ATS is fine.

Your points 1) and 2)... this is all we should all think about.

We are all guilty when we really think about it.

It's not the British, it's not anyone individual "nation", it is the human race.

Our collective greed, and desire for cheaper products, faster cars, and so on and so forth...

The dependence on oil is what caused this. Our laziness in pursuing cleaner forms of power, and technology. In failing to develop more ecologically friendly technologies.

It's not rocket science.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Time to change.

2) We vote with our $$$

BTW I think ATS is fine.

In no way was i directing that at you.

Second line.

link   
reply to post by Maxmars

THANKYOU!

For being the voice of reason! Its all this fighting back n forth that causes more problems, and what-not.

IMO its everyone's problem because we all use oil in one way shape or form!

link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

Sorry for my ignorance, perhaps because I do not post on hate threads, but can you point out what thread here is blaming the UK for the BP disaster.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I'm going to sink to the level of the 'contributors' of this thread.

It's about time you Americans got a taste of what you've been dishing out to the developing world for a LONG time.

Enjoy y'all!

(On a more positive note - maybe this means our American friends will understand finally the damage to the environment that their obsession with oil is causing?)

Parallex.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Could not have said it better myself. I cannot understand why the people in England think we are blaming them personally. I guess they are proud of the name.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Sorry to bring this news to you, but BP took responsibility, is paying out liabilities, have just open a trust fund, and guess what, they most be guilty of the spill to do all that and be willing to lose billions in the process.

Case close my friend. . .

Because that was the deal when they leased the rig. That they are ultimately accountable. The OP makes a very valid point being ignored by the vast majority of people on this forum. A lot of different companies from a lot of different countries are involved.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by LarryLove]

So by your rationale tomorrow morning I am going to march down to the local Ford dealer lease a vehicle then promptly upon taking possession of it I am going to drive into a group of innocent people. When the police arrive on scene I am going to let them know that Ford motor company should share in 50% of the restitution and damage charges because they were the manufacturer of the vehicle. Then when I arrive in court I will promptly let the judge know that I should share in less than 50% of the responsibility of the damage and restitution due to the fact that I only made the decisions behind the wheel of the vehicle and it was ultimately Fords responsibility for not putting in place enough safety features to prevent the accident that I took 100% part in creating.

Does this even sound slightly logical? No it doesn't to answer my own question. So all you cry babies that think BP shouldn't be responsible need to reevaluate the situation at hand and ask yourself if they aren't responsible then why did they claim responsibility?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join