It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Troubles with concentration / focus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I have always had problems with concentrating or focusing for that matter. It's always seemed like I'm in a fog. I'm thinking of course and twenty different things are going on in my head at any given second but especially with a certain task I tend to drift off. When I read I have the same problem but I can still go back and mentally re-read entire chapters from books that I haven't touched in years. Lately I have been struggling with depression and anger (Not necessarily due to current events. More in line with my current situation and personal conflicts) but this has been going on far longer than what's happening now.

If I could actually concentrate or focus it would make my life so much easier. I already have a great memory but I am missing out because of my fogginess. I took a couple months off from college but during that time I read and wrote more than any time of my life. I never stop learning but my primary problem is in mathematics. I was born a premi and due to the lack of oxygen a part of my brain has difficulties in processing numbers. Thus as a child I was terrible in math and it's the same way now. Everything else is easy and very monotonous. Even the difficult and higher level classes are simple and I thrive in English / Law / Criminal Justice. Science is simple for me and history is very easy if not fun. And then you have my nemesis. When I look at a fraction it's like looking trying to read Japanese. And this is coming from someone who is trilingual. You would think it would be easy right?

So what is my problem? ADD? Or one of the other D"s? I've been told it's the problem but I never really looked into it. Now that I think about it I should do some research on the subject. It's just interesting how I whenever I walk into a room I automatically notice small and extremely minuscule details. I sometimes calculate how fast it would take me to get out of the room, etc. just in case obviously. When I sit around people I can simultaneously listen to each of their conversations and even filter out different ones happening at the same time. I thought maybe sleep was an issue but my sleep patterns are typically the same. I usually stay up to 1-2 AM which, funnily enough, I tend to be able to think clearly later at night, and wake up in the morning relatively early. I'm starting to lean heavily towards the ADD facet. Any ideas?

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I need more information to make a proper diagnosis but I don't think it's ADD.

Probably just stress from what's going on in your life.

Try a self hypnosis program or meditation.

I'm not a doctor, but I do play one on TV.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Do you have any muscle and joint pain? If so, you may want to look up fibromyalgia and see if it sounds familiar. People who have it have a symptom described as "brain fog" .....fibromyalgia interferes with the sleep pattern, so the person doesn't get enough REM sleep, which is why they are always tired and don't understand why. They think they are getting good sleep, when in reality, they are not getting to the REM stage, and thus not good rest...so they wake up tired, and have the trouble thinking and concentrating because of sleep deprivation.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Interesting.....

Gonna keep an eye on this thread because I have been the same for years! a lot of what you said I relate to and night time/early morning is usually the only time my brain seems to relax and feel less foggy!

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Symptoms of fibromyalgia include:

Chronic muscle pain, muscle spasms or tightness, weakness in the limbs, and leg cramps
Moderate or severe fatigue and decreased energy
Insomnia or waking up feeling just as tired as when you went to sleep
Stiffness upon waking or after staying in one position for too long
Difficulty remembering, concentrating, and performing simple mental tasks
Abdominal pain, bloating, nausea, and constipation alternating with diarrhea (irritable bowel syndrome)
Tension or migraine headaches
Jaw and facial tenderness
Sensitivity to one or more of the following: odors, noise, bright lights, medications, certain foods, and cold
Feeling anxious or depressed
Numbness or tingling in the face, arms, hands, legs, or feet
Increase in urinary urgency or frequency (irritable bladder)
Reduced tolerance for exercise and muscle pain after exercise
A feeling of swelling (without actual swelling) in the hands and feet
Painful menstrual periods
Dizziness

Fibromyalgia symptoms may intensify depending on the time of day -- morning, late afternoon, and evening tend to be the worst times, while 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. tends to be the best time. They may also get worse with fatigue, tension, inactivity, changes in the weather, cold or drafty conditions, overexertion, hormonal fluctuations (such as just before your period or during menopause), stress, depression, or other emotional factors.

If the condition is not diagnosed and treated early, symptoms can go on indefinitely, or they may disappear for months and then recur.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by nastalgik

It sounds like what I go through on a daily basis, Brain going 500 MPH, and having trouble concentrating on one subject.

I learned to slow down my brain and concentrate by listening to certain music that seems to "trance" me and, oddly enough, working sudoku puzzles.

I was not born premi, but I had really bad issues with bronchitis, and asthma as a child, (I spent the first 3 years of my life in a O2 tent in a hospital) and now suffer from a mild form of dyslexia. I rock at math, science, engineering, etc. I can read, write and speak 3 languages. (oddly Japanese is one of them) But oddly my downfall is simple spelling. (Due to the dyslexia).

One of the CD's that I meditate to and others I have shared it with, is called "Symphony of the Planets". It was recorded by the NASA Voyager Probe, on it's trip out of the solar system. It is very nice and very relaxing. You might want to try it.

Download the music, then sit or lie down in a darkened room and lissten to the recording, just concentraiting on the tones in the music.

Good luck to you and I wish you well.

As a fellow "Brain Warper" I hope you find peace.

(Brain Warper= a person whos brain runs at warp speed)

(I do not believe it is fibro, but that is always a good poss. Nice catch)

[edit on 8/14/2010 by Ghost of Chewie]

[edit on 8/14/2010 by Ghost of Chewie]

top topics

join