It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's wrong with the sun?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
SUNSPOTS come and go, but recently they have mostly gone. For centuries, astronomers have recorded when these dark blemishes on the solar surface emerge, only for them to fade away again after a few days, weeks or months. Thanks to their efforts, we know that sunspot numbers ebb and flow in cycles lasting about 11 years.

But for the past two years, the sunspots have mostly been missing. Their absence, the most prolonged for nearly a hundred years, has taken even seasoned sun watchers by surprise. "This is solar behaviour we haven't seen in living memory," says David Hathaway, a physicist at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama.

The sun is under scrutiny as never before thanks to an armada of space telescopes. The results they beam back are portraying our nearest star, and its influence on Earth, in a new light. Sunspots and other clues indicate that the sun's magnetic activity is diminishing, and that the sun may even be shrinking. Together the results hint that something profound is happening inside the sun. The big question is what?

www.newscientist.com...

Video Sunspots at link.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/04066094b248.jpg[/atsimg]

www.newscientist.com...

Sunspots have been fairly quiet over the past year, it will start up again as it seems to go in cycles. One day we may have the ultimate 'KillShot and it could fry everything on Earth, it may have happened in our ancient past, things tend to happen again, we have no idea what cataclysms happened millions of years ago.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by Aquarius1]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I was gonna make a thread relating to this but decided against it. Now that you have one I'll contribute some of what I found.

The sun's temper ebbs and flows on what scientists had thought was a pretty predictable cycle, but lately our closest star has been acting up.

Typically, a few stormy years would knock out a satellite or two and maybe trip a power grid on Earth. Then a few years of quiet, and then back to the bad behavior. But an extremely long stretch of low activity in recent years has scientists baffled and scrambling for better forecasting models.

An expected minimum of solar activity, between 2008 and 2009, was unusually deep. And while the sun would normally ramp up activity by now, heading into its next cycle, the sun may be on the verge of a weak solar cycle instead, astronomers said at the 216th meeting of the American Astronomical Society in Miami last month.

"We're witnessing something unlike anything we've seen in 100 years," said David Hathaway of NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Ala.

Sun's Strange Behavior Baffles Astronomers

I don't really know anything about all this sun stuff so I'd love to throw out the massive CME 2012 theory on the list of 2012 theories. It's interesting how we have a solar minimum before a maximum. Kind of like the lull before the storm.

Part of me wonders though, is it possible that the longer the lull, the longer or worse the storm?

Anyway I'm just speculating but S&F for the thread and info.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by Crossfate]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
To answer the question in the thread title, there is nothing "wrong" with the sun, it`s going to cycles the duration of which, humans wouldn`t even be able to begin to fathom. The sun is fine, it`s just it may not be behaving in a way that we like just now, and no doubt it`ll get worse, (for us).

You should check out Joseph F Goodavage`s book, Storm on the Sun, it`s a good read.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by psilo simon

Thank you for your post and links, don't want to think that is may get worse fro us, since we are in the 12,000 year cycle it may be time for something cataclysmic to happen to Gaia.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
i know man, but hey regardless of what happens, sun related or closer to home, whether it falls apart or not, doom and gloom or not, I rest easy knowing the concious element of ourselves is eternal. I love it man.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
This may very well be related to 2012 and I'll tell you why:

This scientist found that previous unrelated cycles in the universe are based on a phi power series.. Phi, also called the golden ratio and is an irrational number equal to 1.618033989... (and so on to infinity) which is also the ratio of the whole to the larger as the larger is to the smaller, which illustrates the holographic property of recursion. Now, this number, phi, has many unique mathematical properties in itself, and it is found all over nature and all over the universe, in just about everything from breeding of rabbits to a nautilus shell. To this day phi is still making interesting appearances in modern physics research. It has been known since the days of Ancient Greece through its contributions to beauty/art/aesthetics (and most likely before that as it plays a very prominent role in the Great Pyramids of Egypt). Phi also can be represented as 1+1/1+1/1+1/1+1/1+1/1+1.... and so on to infinity, demonstrating again the holographic property of recursion/fractals or the "Each Part contains the Whole" principle.

Anyways, this scientist used an infinite mathematical series based on phi:

(.....phi^-2, phi^-1, phi^0, phi^1, phi^2,....)

called the Auric Series, and this scientist found that when you take a basic time unit, say, the time the earth revolves around the sun (1 year) then you can find the other universal cycles (i.e. the sunspot cycle at 11.07 years) as the various harmonics of phi.

The sunspot cycle is the fifth harmonic (phi^5) of the auric series, meaning when you use 1 year as the base time unit, you get the sunspot cycle of ~ 11.07 years.

This is an interesting find indeed as it demonstrates that all these universal - celestial and terrestrial cycles are actually all related and interconnected...by phi! Of course!

Well, guess what!?

He then found that THIS SAME SERIES APPLIES TO THE MAYAN CALENDAR!!!

The Mayan Calendar is based off the cycles of our Universe!

Now - the thing with infinite series is that some "converge" and some "diverge" meaning some series approach a single point (converge), where some go on to infinity (diverge).

So then when he applied this series to the Mayan Calendar to find all the cycles, he found that....

THE SERIES CONVERGES TO December 21, 2012!!!

The scientist went even further and by using the history of the Chinese and locating the various harmonics of phi, he found that each hit point of the series corresponded with major historical, physical, cultural (and spiritual) changes...

So they think SOMETHING is going to happen, whether it be a huge change in the world or the end in the world, a mass spiritual awakening or a rise in consciousness...

So since these cycles are all related to this converging phi series, the erratic behavior of the sunspot cycle would make perfect sense....

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by BellaMente

Thanks for the post, I am from Royal Oak. Don't know much or anything about 2012, have not followed it, not saying never say never but it reminds me of Hale-Bobb and Y2K, you know what happened with those.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
nothing wrong with the sun ... the sun goes thought a cycle of 12 years or something where it reaches a lvl where it needs to release a lot of energy, this happens ...

[edit on 16/6/10 by Faiol]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by BellaMente

That's some explanation, phew thanks....
I was never really that good at maths..

I think that the earth has all the answers to all our questions and you 'PHI' number maybe exactly a guide to cycles and events that have, , are and might be happening in the future......

What do you do for a hobby ???

Regards
PurpleDog UK

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
here's the thing about 2012 and the sun and everythign is happening beings that can travel the universe with no problems have been around evolving since befre the dinosaurs oh i lost you hang on a min..

dont know how much attention you all payed in school but remember when they said if you was to condense everything on the earth into one day that humans have onyl been around for a couple of minutes well where do u think we are in universal time?

if in earth time we are babies in universal time either we are jus now being conceived or the sperm is still searching for the egg with that being said another planet with life has had to have already had evolving intelligences on them already

if we are created by a "god" then they are comign back in 2012 the mayans knew b/c they prolly lived and talked and walked with the "gods" which are actually aliens who are very advanced and obvioulsy godly compare to us in intelligence and technology so with all this being said

any alien that has been around since a planet could support life and who knows how old that is it coudl do things we couldnt understand for example controling the weather causing things to happen we cant explain i'm sure dec. 21 2012 is just the return! many will lose there minds not b/c the creators have returned but b/c when they see what they worship as "god"

they will cry knowing that we are an alien creation!

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by metalholic
here's the thing about 2012 and the sun and everythign is happening beings that can travel the universe with no problems have been around evolving since befre the dinosaurs oh i lost you hang on a min..

dont know how much attention you all payed in school but remember when they said if you was to condense everything on the earth into one day that humans have onyl been around for a couple of minutes well where do u think we are in universal time?

if in earth time we are babies in universal time either we are jus now being conceived or the sperm is still searching for the egg with that being said another planet with life has had to have already had evolving intelligences on them already

if we are created by a "god" then they are comign back in 2012 the mayans knew b/c they prolly lived and talked and walked with the "gods" which are actually aliens who are very advanced and obvioulsy godly compare to us in intelligence and technology so with all this being said

any alien that has been around since a planet could support life and who knows how old that is it coudl do things we couldnt understand for example controling the weather causing things to happen we cant explain i'm sure dec. 21 2012 is just the return! many will lose there minds not b/c the creators have returned but b/c when they see what they worship as "god"

they will cry knowing that we are an alien creation!

Well, who created the aliens then??

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by JokerzReality

if nature exists here then nature exists everywhere nature is the unseen forgotten force that makes life possible nature is life and nature is death...without it nothing would exist for even the beings that live in space no planet specifically they still began on a planet that had nature!

get it?

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by metalholic

if nature exists here then nature exists everywhere nature is the unseen forgotten force that makes life possible nature is life and nature is death...without it nothing would exist for even the beings that live in space no planet specifically they still began on a planet that had nature!

get it?

This is off topic, so won't go into a longer debate. But why did we have to be created by aliens and not nature, when the aliens has to have been created by nature? Why, just don't accept that we are created by nature and not aliens?

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

This has all happened before, and it will all happen again.....

[edit on 17-6-2010 by Mogget]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Sunspot Numbers Updated June 03, 2010
In 1610, shortly after viewing the sun with his new telescope, Galileo Galilei (or was it Thomas Harriot?) made the first European observations of Sunspots. Continuous daily observations were started at the Zurich Observatory in 1849 and earlier observations have been used to extend the records back to 1610. The sunspot number is calculated by first counting the number of sunspot groups and then the number of individual sunspots.

The "sunspot number" is then given by the sum of the number of individual sunspots and ten times the number of groups. Since most sunspot groups have, on average, about ten spots, this formula for counting sunspots gives reliable numbers even when the observing conditions are less than ideal and small spots are hard to see. Monthly averages (updated monthly) of the sunspot numbers (181 kb JPEG image), (307 kb pdf-file), (62 kb text file) show that the number of sunspots visible on the sun waxes and wanes with an approximate 11-year cycle.

solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/739778ca84cf.gif[/atsimg]

This is the latest update on Sunspot cycles, when the flares come back in full force let's hope they are on the far side of the Sun so it doesn't effect us, but one day one knows.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Actually, this is the the latest update, the one you show is about 2 years old. The prediction has been updated as well as the actual sunspot number.

We seem to be moving right along with the prediction which is showing solar maximum to occur in May of 2013 with a below average number of sunspots (much fewer than the last solar maximum).

[edit on 6/17/2010 by Phage]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks for the updating my update, now you know why you can't believe everything you read and see on the internet, good grief.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   

why cant you accept that we were created by aliens? why did we have to evolve so much faster then any other creature on the planet? are we that much better then anything that ever lived? in other words why did evolution move so fast with us?

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Could this have anything to do with the Maunder Minimum, or similar occurances of decreased sunspot activity?

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Well,it does seem to come and go on almost a daily cycle.

Apparently it circles around the United States which is the center of the entire universe once every 24 hours or so.

Sometimes it appears hotter than normal and stays in the sky a little longer.

Don't know why that is though.

I am not to worried because I heard on this internet on December 21,2012 we are all going to die.

That is probably how long it will take all the oil in the Gulf of Mexico to kill us all.

Isn't ignorance and sarcasm a wonderful thing.

The sun is going through a cycle,it seems that is how things in the universe works.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join