It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human hair denyed FDA approval for gulf oil cleanup?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I just got a haircut today. I asked my beautician if they were participating in donating hair for the cleanup.

She said that they had donated some hair, but this program had been discontinued because the FDA did not approve of using human hair in the cleanup.

I was like "What the hell? There is OIL and DISPERSANT in the water, and they are worried about a little human hair?"

I'm not sure what to make of this. I'm trying to do a search online to see if I can verify this. Can someone help me? Of course, maybe the information is not avaliable to the general public. Maybe someone could do a call out to other salons to see if they can verify this.

I'm just going by word of mouth, but anyway, if this is true, it is another example of how stupid people can be in the face of this disaster by denying the use of something that could help!

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by jessieg

Just because there are some very bad things in the water doesn't mean that we need to throw stuff that might be carrying who knows what load of germs and other human pathogens in it to see what happens.

The dispersant is a mutagen, thinking of adding human hair to that toxic brew gives me chills.

Totally, and I really mean totally, with the FDA on this one.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I just called the FDA's public number and the lady said that she has heard nothing about hair being denyed. So I don't really know what is up. Maybe the particular hair salon I went to just didn't really care to participate in donating hair. Maybe they just said that to quiet me. Or maybe she said FDA but meant the EPA or another agency.

From what I was able to find on the search engines searches, hair is being used, but only in very limited quantities.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
so the FDA was going to clean up the gulf but human hair denied them approval? im sorry thats the way i read the thread title..

~meathead

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
human hair is the dumbest idea I've ever heard of. Human hair takes forever to decay and the amount of oil absorbed would be slim.

Hay is much more effective, much more abundant, and a little more sanitary.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman
reply to post by jessieg

Just because there are some very bad things in the water doesn't mean that we need to throw stuff that might be carrying who knows what load of germs and other human pathogens in it to see what happens.

The dispersant is a mutagen, thinking of adding human hair to that toxic brew gives me chills.

Totally, and I really mean totally, with the FDA on this one.

So I take it you don't go swimming in the lakes or oceans because after all it could contaminate it with humanity.

Maybe we should cleanse the earth of us humans since we're so toxic to the earth.

I however will be going to the lake today. And I'll probably pee in the water a little too. We'll see what that does to the fish.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Mikey Sly

A little hair or pee is fine.

But tons of hair would be needed to make a difference, and tons means some will be carrying something we don't want out there.

It's a matter of statistics, not queasiness about a little contact.

There really is such a thing as "the straw that broke the camel's back".

There is no situation so bad it can't get worse.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

Its the circle of life.

Even IF there was a human pathogen that could infect oceanic life, which is HIGHLY unlikely, the death of that fish would provide food to microbes which would then thrive, which would then become food to a higher organism which would then thrive and so on and so on. A couple tons of human hair could have what, some lice maybe, maybe some other louses? That's certainly right in line of a fishes diet. As far as the hair itself, they don't plan on leaving that in the ocean, and even if they did it would simply become a food source for something else. Thats what decomposing is. And it would be far better for a little hair to be in the ocean than all that oil. Which even that isn't as big of a problem as has been made out to be.

PERHAPS the oil mess may lead to a mass extinction, and that's a big leap to assume, but let's say it did, that would merely leave room for another species to move in and thrive.

Lets be clear, humans are completely unable, at least at this point of our technological level, to eliminate life on earth. Even if we leveled the place with every nuke the world has there would still be life. In the worst case it may only be microbes, but we've found there are microbes that feed on decaying nuclear waste.

We humans are not as important to the earth as we think. Maybe we may find a way to wipe ourselves of the face of the earth but it will not miss us.

top topics

join