It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man's Voice Reveals His Fighting Ability

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Incubus

yeah, and like i said, Mike Tyson is anomolous. Because hormones are not the only thing controlling your voice. You also have physical differences (shorter or tighter vocal cords), possible past trauma, social habit (like, he emulated a cousin or something).

when you are dealing with people, you can find "one off" aberrations everywhere. My appendix is on the back side of my intestine, on the left hand side. My uncle was born with his stomach upside down (pyloric and cardiac sphincters reversed.

But a "one off" does not invalidate the known impacts of hormonal response. It is used to lower voices for sex changes. And it is known to cause more aggression, as well as muscle growth.

You are arguing obvious and well studied phenomena based on a random aberration.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
If I had to make a choice to believe the scientists in a lab or a barkeep for 20 years. I'd believe the barkeep.

I call bunk on this study

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

I do think the voice reveals something about a person, like to some degree, self-confidence, for example. But fighting ability, I'm not so sure.

Lots of animals vocalize during ritualized sexual competition. They use voices as a proxy marker for, yes, fighting ability.

It's possible men's voices are also indicators of fighting ability, of course, but there are couple of questions that need to be asked. We, unlike other animals, use our voices to talk. Can a faculty so enormously modified from its basic function still preserve its original, basic functionalities?

Second, isn't this a pretty easy advertisement to fake, especially for an intelligent species? If it's easy to fake, it can't be very reliable. Which means it probably doesn't count for much.

Speaking from personal experience, as others have done: I am a man with a fairly light speaking voice and no scrapper, at least not physically, though I'm often told I intimidate people. I, in my turn, am often intimidated or at least impressed by deep, resonant voices. Perhaps there is something in this research after all, but I think the subject needs a great deal more study before anything can be concluded. In fact, I think it was irresponsible of the researchers to make public their findings at this stage.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Didn't read the whole thread but ironic the difference between Discover and Scientific American... same journal - different sway.

"Male Voice Good Indicator of Physical Strength"

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
reply to post by Crossfate

In that case Morgan Freeman must be the strongest man alive.
Morgan Freeman? Really?

I was always impressed with the voice of Michael Dorn who played "Worf" on Star Trek-TNG, and his commanding voice went well with the role he played as a formidable Klingon warrior. I think he could intimidate people on the Star Trek set with that voice and that costume even if he didn't know how to throw a punch.

So hearing an intimidating voice might lead others to THINK you can fight but I'm not sure it means that you actually CAN fight... like astyanax said, it could be faked.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
the level of adrogens circulating in the human male blood system have many effects systemically. To include a "hgih pitched" voice, premature balding, fat dispoistion around the "mdidrift area" but also cause increased agression, and muscle mass even if hidden under a layer of cutaneous fat (Sumo Wrestlers). I have practical experience and can recounted many "made" warriors with hight pitched voices and extremely agressive / confrontational personalites. "Mike Tyson" is a good example, however I'm refferencing professional soldiers who live in an aggresive atmosphere day in and day out.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Crossfate

Two words , Mike Tyson

Given the length of the thread , I am sure I am not the first to say that

But if I am , you may flag away

EDIT to add , no I am not the first , way back on page one , first post as a matter of fact Mike's great fighting voice was alluded to , place your flags there

[edit on 17-6-2010 by Max_TO]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
The test/study was OBVIOUSLY from a control group of people who did not engage in things like inordinate amounts of body building, MMA, boxing, etc.. etc...

Seriously, if you have to single out one of the greatest boxers in the world, or a multi Mr. Olympian (two people who have trained all their lives) as a means to invalidate this study of mainly "tribal" or "natural" people, you are a complete moron, and I'm sure your voice demonstrates it.

You might as well invalidate a study that flying in airplanes is safe by citing the case of a plane rigged with explosives and a 5 minute timer.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
I am a former powerlifting champion and all state offensive lineman. Currently about 6'2" and 400lbs, i could remove peoples body parts with relative ease.

That was one of the best quotes i've read on this site
You didn't even seem cocky about it or try to prove anything. Just decided that if you wanted to you could dismember people with your bare arms lol!

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
This reminds me of a funny incident that happened to me awhile ago...

I was chatting away (in person) with my girlfriend, when this guy telephoned... After the phone call she told me...

You answered the phone normal, but when you found out it was Tim, your voice got suddenly very deep...
and then she mimicked me... I was surprised!

I honestly hadn't noticed... It must have been all sub-conscious.

So, I don't know if this report is indicative of a relation to fighting ability, but I think it quite possibly relates to how we as a species want to be seen or a facade... one way of flashing our colors (sort of speaking)...

Flash a smile, dance with the ladies and hopefully you attract one for the night... or longer depending on your preferences...

Encounter a fight or flight scenario and well, typically I stand my ground. Might be quaking in my boots, but what can I say...

But for sure, my physical stance changes, my voice changes... It gets louder, deeper... Hopefully a little intimidating I guess...

But in reality, I look at myself as a lover not a fighter... I'm like the quiet guy someone mentioned before I think...

Anyway, enough dredging up old girlfriends and emotions of jealousy...

I hope this helps in your quest for knowledge...

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Some merit, but it does not take into account the fact that one can train and increase his fighting ability and strength. Likewise a voice stays relatively the same, but body mass and strength can greatly fluctuate.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
This is amazing I never even thought of something like some ones voice could tell you that much. Well this will help me with picking fights at school. It'll help keep me out of trouble.

[edit on 23-6-2010 by leaderofthepack]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
After 20 years in the bar biz:
I have seen an awful lot of tough guys dropped by girls.
Also more then a few dropped by little ol ladies as well

its the quiet guys you have to watch out for

[edit on 16-6-2010 by Danbones]

I got a real giggle out of this.

I think it's true that the "outward sign of aggression" is one of those threat traits that bluffs people into thinking others are "too much trouble to handle." Tats and piercings also say "I'm so tough you don't want to mess with me."

It's the ones who don't have to show how tough they are that are the more dangerous.

And as a counter-example of "low voice, growl, strength" I offer up Jackie Chan. He's old as dirt, but he doesn't need a low voice and tats to make him effective.

I think they hand-picked cases, myself.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
The actual report says something a little bit different than is implied:
www.newscientist.com...

It's not the deepest voice -- it's something about the way they speak.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I remember when I was 10-12 I was taking Tae Kwon Do classes and we were taught that when we throw our punches to let out a sort of "scream", I guess you would call it. Maybe it has a connection to this because that did have an impact on how hard you were hitting compared to when you didn't add it into your movements. It just seemed to add a little boost to your strength.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I wonder what it might mean if you are a woman who is constantly being mistaken for a man over the phone....
I swear, I feel like changing my name to Peppermint Patty because I've been called "Sir" so many times! Most of my customers think I'm a man (and I don't mind a bit if it has to do with my business) unless they see my full legal name on an invoice or something.

BTW, I've never been in any fights but that's probably because in high school the bullies would see me working out in the school gym and know well enough to not try anything.

If I had been one of the examples in that study the participants would have figured I was a man unless they were told otherwise. But that brings up another point - there are some men out there who sound like women (I know I was well into my teens when I realized that the classic rock band Super Tramp wasn't headed by a woman! According to this study that dude must be a weakling as well:lol
and vice versa.

Another thing I notice is that some people (both men and women) just seem to have authority in their voices, whether deep or not. My grandfather didn't have a particularly deep voice (and he wasn't a hulking man either; don't know about his strength but he was a hard working man who farmed during the day as well as worked the graveyard shift at a prison) but people payed attention to him and just knew not to try and challenge him. He was a prison guard who could break up fights just by command, where other guards were unable to do so. If he told me to stop doing something when I was a child I stopped. I didn't pay anywhere near as much heed to my stepfather. Whatever "it" is my grandfather had it. He wasn't mean or loud, he just commanded respect. IMO people that command that kind of respect don't have to fight. I suppose that could be nature's way of avoiding unnecessary fighting.

Whatever it is, I think women can have it too. My mom (this grandfather was her father) has always been seen by all the dogs we ever had as the alpha. The dogs always listened to her but not to my stepfather. He found that very frustrating. The dogs listen to me just about as well as they do to my mom.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Explanation: S&F!

The findings put men on vocal par with red deer, common loons, baboons, croaking gourami fish, owls and other animals whose calls also directly communicate body strength and fighting ability.

Men on par with common loons?
Who would have guessed!!!

Personal Disclosure:

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Great informative thread, I have never ever met a man with a high pitched voice who has ever been agressive(evil yes) but physically intimidating no.
I have met several deep throated women who have alas been agressive and inclined to violence .
The higher pitched women have always been more endearing and doe like.
But I have also known conniving men to fake a high pitched camp accent to fool women.
Many men study to develop their voice, think Russell Crowe(its on a instructional CD, and sells rather well I have been told.
I personally sound like Mr Humphries off Are You being Served,but can kick like a mule.

Most fighters are cowards(not all) they choose the fight they think they can win without injury to themselves.
Its like tatoos if you get them to be tough, then you aint tough, the voice will change of its own accord as you change inside.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Yes very misleading study,I had a brother in law maybe 5'7 140 pounds and had a very deep voice,as well as a client same thing litle guy,I have a voice of a kid i'm told,I'm 6'2 200 so think this study fails

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I disagree...I have a polite and a not so deep voice but this can be highly misleading as I have a very pertinent violent streak.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join