It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hubble Finds Jupiter’s Missing Stripe! (There was much rejoicing!)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   

New Hubble images reveal what happened to one of Jupiter’s main cloud belts: It’s hiding behind ammonia clouds. “Weather forecast for Jupiter’s Southern Equatorial Belt: cloudy with a chance of ammonia,”

The gas giant’s characteristic band of dark clouds started fading late last year and had vanished completely by early May, 2010. Images taken with Hubble’s Wide Field Camera 3 on June 7 — just over three days after an unknown object smacked into the planet — found a layer of white ammonia ice crystal clouds. The ammonia clouds float at a higher altitude than the missing brown clouds, obscuring them from view.

The images show a preview of what’s to come for the dark stripe, too. A chain of dark spots along the boundary of Jupiter’s south tropical zone peek through the white cloud layer as the ammonia thins and dissipates. “The Hubble images tell us these spots are holes resulting from localized downdrafts. We often see these types of holes when a change is about to occur,” said planetary scientist Amy Simon-Miller of NASA. The clouds blocking the famous equatorial stripe should clear out similarly in a couple of months, the team predicts.

The images also provided clues to the identity of the mystery object that hit Jupiter on June 3. A lack of dark debris at the impact site, which would have been kicked up by the object exploding beneath the clouds, suggests that the object was relatively small and burned up in Jupiter’s atmosphere like a meteor.

Source: www.wired.com...

Well, this is good to know-in one way. Anomia... hmmm; that can't be good. I doubt I will be around when they make their way onto that planet. I am just happy that I know what I do now. 20,30 years ago, none of this was doable.

You go Hubble, you rock! We need about 50 more of you-heading to all different areas of the Universe. New images every day it seems anymore. KEEP THEM COMING.

A lot better to look at then all the BP Oil Spill pics/mess.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I gotta put this one donw in the: In case you missed it section....

So much BP stuff going on right now.

Take a break
)

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I don't really know what that means other than a heck lot of ammonia!

I didn't think that the stripe went away because that would represent a colossal change to the 'weather' patterns on Jupiter, thanks for posting.

Wonder what that means? Any speculation?

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
damn that must of been some big impact to effect it that much!

you can clearly see in those pictures the difference.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Agreed
, I can almost taste the oil. I like the "there was much rejoicing" part. Having watched more than one probe landing on Nasa tv those guys really cheer and high five each other! Most people that I know would say "ah so what", but I can't get enough of this stuff.

(edit to add pic.)

[edit on 16-6-2010 by JMech]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

How do they know it is amonia though? Seriously?

Couldn't it be Dust?

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
www.varchive.org...

PART IV: JUPITER OF THE THUNDERBOLT

The Origin of Nitrate Deposits
www.varchive.org...

Sounds like they guessed right after Velikovsky told them to
look for any.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I'd guess spectral analysis. - Look at the light and you will know what an atmosphere is made up of, they can even tell what an atmosphere of a planet orbiting another star is made up of.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Yeah, Now_Then is most likely correct. Using spectroscopy, you can examine the wavelength of light and figure out what elements are present. It's extremely reliable, though I am not 100% certain on how they would know it is ammonia, as opposed to any other compound with nitrogen and hydrogen. (the two elements ammonia is made of) If they can determine the ratio of N to H somehow, then they could tell you that it is ammonia specifically, but I don't know how that would be done, though apparently they found a way.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   
I think Jupiter looks healthier lol.

top topics

join