It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asks U.S. billionaires give away at least half of the wealth.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I think the problem is where the money is actually going. There is something wrong with the system and those truly in need are not getting the money.

Wikipedia has an interesting page detailing the number of billionaires around the world in terms of US dollars:
Billionaires around the world

Just imagine if every Billionaire gave away 5% of their total wealth...that is at minimum US$100,000,000 x 759. If the money was used properly, wouldn't poverty be wiped out?

[edit on 16/6/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Um.. these people own e v er y t h i n g. The 50% that they give away means nothing, as it will all filter straight back to them as they own everything that their donations will be spent on. This is just a private sector stimulus package and cosmic PR stunt.

Perhaps they think they can buy a stairway to heaven? They own everything else, do they think they can buy karma too?.

Forgive me for being cynical, but 50% of a ****load of money is still a ****load of money.

Give away 95% then maybe we'll discuss redemption.

Having said that, it is still good news and a step in the right direction, just too little, too late.

S&F tho

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
This is probably a buy in for a spot in one of the underground bases we have. AKA Denver Airport and others around the country.

You guys remember the movie 2012? The richest people on the planet had to buy in, what if this is the same kind of deal?

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by brainwrek
Good for them, but not for me.

If I was a billionaire, giving half of it away ranks right up there with continuous kicks in the groin.

Definitely wouldnt happen.

Then you sir, are a greedy person who cares not for the welfare of the planet, its people, or its longevity but rather your own selfish desires and the consummate destruction of society. Absolutely no one needs to possess billions of dollars to do whatever they please with it.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

Good point!

759 x $50-million = $37,950,000,000

Certainly would take a good chunk out of the worlds ills, if spent correctly.

[edit on 16/6/10 by ghostsoldier]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Aren't charities run by corrupt bankers and businessmen?

That money would be better spent on things like new innovative energy sources or other helpful research to save our species from self-destruction.

Or they should give it all to me.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
All I gotta say is I wish I was in that club. I wish I had billions to give away. All I have is my time and I don't think anyone will ever give me billions for that. Can someone point me in the right direction to sell my soul? Joke , na it's all good I don't think I'd want that kind of responsibility anyhow. Hell I can't manage a couple hundred dollars without burning a hole in my pocket!!!!

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I sometimes believe that these men in control and that have vast amounts of resources, reincarnated from some very very harsh creation in the past and are now, going (hahaha) straight back to from which they came.

SO LONG Bill and the rest, have a good trip back to that unholy vessel!!!

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by chemical_chameleon

They've just been conditioned from birth (99% of them) - and their karmic response will happen next life - last life they were probably poor people from a third-world country.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by winston_jones
Sorry, but whenever I hear of the super-rich setting up "Charitable Foundations" it sends a shudder down my spine. These Foundations are just tax-efficient, unaccountable legal loopholes whereby the rich can indulge their most repugnant NWO fantasies in total secrecy.

And you being a single person in the world how much are you going to give? Give me a break!!

Why is it that people have a tendency to just down play everything as if it was no big deal, and why do people feel it is the responsibility of the rich to do anything? They do provide jobs for oh let’s say 70% of us, but that isn’t enough is it? Who cares if they bath in a million dollar bath of fine wine or anything else?

If just one of them gives 500k that is more than I would ever be able to give in my life time, but we are talking millions and even billions by per person and people just look at it and say so what you owe more.

Well I say thank you for your efforts to provide me and my family a good life and thank you for all and anything you give. If we judged these people by individual efforts just one of them easily exceeds all of us on ATS combine…but hell they are just NWO…lol

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by tooo many pills

Good idea!
But why stop at HALF? Why not give most of it away and only keep enough for 3 peoples lifetimes per billionaire instead of 1.000???
Seeing as most of Gates charities seem to centre around Africa it sounds like a good way to totally crash the local economy. IMO

I'm sure he means well, well at least I hope he does.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I see nothing wrong with charity. If I had tons of money, I would do more to help others.

Now, here is where you have to pay attention. Charity is great, but if you truly want to help people, then the important part is getting that person (s) back on the road to not needing charity, which is many times the actual solution. Charity doesn't always fix the underlying problem. We can give and give to some people, but if we don't address the reason why they are in the shape they are in, then you are throwing money into a hole. Then you are supporting someone who never gives back, only takes. For example, give a homeless person a meal, help him get cleaned up. Then help him find some employment of some sort. If you are wealthy, maybe your house needs painted, and you would like a new flower bed in the back. Let's help this homeless guy get back into society as a productive member. This way you have truly helped the person. If the person refuses to "stand up," despite your best efforts to help them, and given ample time, then you feed them and send them on their way. Some people only want a hand out.

Natural disasters are a bit different kind of charity, give when you can to help out, certainly.

Here is what I'm starting to really dislike. Slightly off topic, but still relevant. We are being conditioned to think that being rich is evil. No, it's not evil. Why is it evil to live life the way you want to live it, and to the fullest? I mean why not? Why live in a little shack, poor, and barely getting by, if you don't want to? It's not like billionaires are actually taking up all the money, and there isn't anymore. If we have a money shortage, it's because enough isn't being printed. Money is simply a means of exchanging goods and services. Besides that, the actual paper is starting to mean less. We are being conditioned to accept less on our pay check, do things like have the new stupid "staycations." Save money, save money. The American Dream gives way to coupons at Wal-Mart. Prosperity takes a back seat to the media cramming "bad economy" down our throat. If we want to better things, then we need to get out there and better them. Why in the heck are we waiting for Obama or any president to create jobs, when we can do this ourselves? Did the president create the giants like McDonalds and Wendy's? No, it was people with an idea that created these businesses. Is Obama going to come to our house and put us in a business? Will he hold our hand as we go to look for work? I'm not even sure he cares? So, I'm not waiting on him.

Our future depends on creating more businesses. Because what is happening right now, is businesses are downsizing, and going under, and it simply doesn't need to happen. It is up to us to create that future employment. Put people back in business right here in the USA, manufacture products here in the USA, and create jobs right here in the USA. And, if you are going to have export and import relations with other countries, make sure the terms are fair and truly benefit both sides fairly.

So, the point is, charity is voluntary. You should never force someone into charity. Sometimes, some charities may not be doing much with your money. If I'm going to give, I need to know that money is going to be used correctly. Just because it has the word "charity" on it doesn't automatically make it a good thing. Some charities are good, some aren't.

True help is what actually stands those person(s) back up. Charity in most cases, should only be temporary.

Troy

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
BS, plain and simple. Not sure what is behind it but you can be sure they are not motivated by noble thoughts. I'm amazed at how easily you gobble this kind of crap up.....

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 02:38 AM
link   
if the universe is listening, and i become a billionaire, id gladly give half away.
jsut so you know.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by D377MC

True that!

Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts Absolutely!!!

I hope one day these scum-suckers will be brought to justice for their crimes against humanity!!!

Bill, guilty of imposing eugenics and population reduction on a GLOBAL SCALE!!!!!

And plus!
They don't hide their diabolical agenda anymore! anyone can check out their plans, but for how much longer????

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by winston_jones
Sorry, but whenever I hear of the super-rich setting up "Charitable Foundations" it sends a shudder down my spine. These Foundations are just tax-efficient, unaccountable legal loopholes whereby the rich can indulge their most repugnant NWO fantasies in total secrecy.

It could be that, yeah... OR it could just be the super rich giving money to a charity because said charity needs the money to help the much less fortunate, making the super rich guy feel good he just gave to charity and the super un rich people good because they're about to get a better life...but it could be either one though... just saying.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by eriathwen

Can some one PLEASE help me find Warren Buffets telephone number!!!

I need to ask him for some of that money before this idiot give 98% of his wealth to a charity....talk about pissing billions into the wind.

Yeah like the CEO of the Red Cross which is Goldman Sacks won't find a way to give himself a nice little bonus this Christmas.

We need to get Warren Buffet to donate to the Izzy cause!

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by eriathwen

Anyone who thinks Bill Gates actually wants to help should research his donations given to Vaccine research. Eugenics any one yeah free H1N1 shot with donation flippin moron's

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   
I've heard people in my life complain about the uber rich not spreading their wealth. And then when some uber rich dude decides to spread his wealth, people will invariably complain about that person spreading their wealth - in some form or another.

"what a greedy pig - he doesn't need all that money, what does he do with it? He should give it away to charity or something useful"

"that rich guy's giving away his money? what a moron, giving all that money away, thinking he'll actually change something"

I think this might be a glimpse into what may be the real problem. Or, maybe it's just me.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   
The irony is that the mega-rich who refuse to help the world will go straight to hell without their money.

And I have to ask, how much money do you need in this world? Not that much.

Shame on them.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join