It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World Cup Goalies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
You know what pisses me off? I'll tell you what. It is how much people overreact that a goalie fumbled with the ball and it goes into the goal. I'm not much of a sports guy, but I am following the 2010 FIFA World Cup, and if you don't know already, during the England vs. USA game, the British goalie messed up and let the ball go into the goal. Hours later, the video was on fail blog and I could hear people talking about how he made Britain tie with the USA and it was all his fault. I think that it is not all his fault. All he has to say is: I let the ball go in, but you know what, the ball had to go past ten of you to get to me, so who's fault is it really??? I mean it really isn't a big deal, but I don't think the goalie should turn into the worst person in England because of that. Sure everyone else has to watch the whole field, and the goalie only has to watch a #ing 4x10 foot goal, but still. It is like Luke blowing up the death star. Darth Vader couldn't protect a 1x1 meter hole, but where was everyone else?

So that is my quasi-rant. What do you think?

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by N1ghtCr4wl3r

I think I agree with you
I said the same thing to someone yesterday, in order for the ball to get so near to the goalkeeper the opposing side had to get it past ten other men.

Football is a team sport - it's not all down to one man.

I'm not a football fan, but I am being subjected to wall to wall World Cup so I can't help but notice some of what goes on. At least the commentary is a couple of notches above the dreary, inane remarks that pass for commentary on the Premier League games.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Hell, it'salways been like that.

I played in goal until my late teens at school and local leagues.
I always knew that if I ever dropped a clanger I was going to get ridiculed.
That's why most goalies are a bit mad!

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
Hell, it'salways been like that.

I played in goal until my late teens at school and local leagues.
I always knew that if I ever dropped a clanger I was going to get ridiculed.
That's why most goalies are a bit mad!

I was also a keeper till about 18. Been quite interesting reading all about keepers this week. I started at under 11's starting with my Cub and school team, had a few trials for Oxford United, but my kicking was poor, most of the time I had to have a defender take my goal kicks.

I think I gave up as I couldn't handle all the bollockings, I went from playing sunday league to my towns youth team and it all got a bit serious. My eyes were starting to give up too and struggled under flood lights, my perception of distances started to be effected and I began to make more mistakes

I let in a few howlers in my time and there;s nothing worse than letting in a clanger and seeing all your team mates faces looking at you. Still I loved it.
It's a lonely position and it only takes one mistake for you to lose the whole game.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I represented my school at a level higher than I was, played for the town etc and had a couple of scouts come look at me, no more than that.

Played at a decent level locally after leaving school but got distracted by wine. women and song!

But I thoroughly enjoyed it, sometimes wish I'd played longer, but.....??

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
none of his team mates had a go at him on pitch, off pitch theyd be professional and not let it get to him, could have been worse, if our second goalie david james was in goals hed make more mistakes, a brilliant goalie but does let some daft ones in.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Some ones gog to be the scapregoat and unfortunantly it had to be Robert Green. People dont seem to understand that these guys are playing with a ball that they have never used before, and it does unpredicatble things....in saying that though they are supposed to be the best of the best. At least the germans wont have any issues with it, they got to use it in the Bundesliga this season....unfair advanatage, lol

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I represented my school at a level higher than I was, played for the town etc and had a couple of scouts come look at me, no more than that.

Played at a decent level locally after leaving schol but got distracted by wine. women and song!

But I thoroughly enjoyed it, sometimes wish I'd played longer, but.....??

Nothing better than diving around a muddy goal mouth at the weekend, but yeah those distractions of women and boozing at the weekend get in the way.

I think Capelo might play Joe Hart. Rob Greens confidence is going to be shot. And from what I can see Capello hasn't made up his mind which is only going to make it harder on Green. I think Hart can step up.

join