It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whale poop fights climate change: study

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Whale poop fights climate change: study

rawstory.com

PARIS (AFP) – Southern Ocean sperm whales are an unexpected ally in the fight against global warming, removing the equivalent carbon emissions from 40,000 cars each year thanks to their faeces, a study found on Wednesday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Gee so cow poop is bad but whale poop is good ? I guess if the $h!t works , go with it ?

The report went on to say .....

"Industrialised whaling not only gravely threatened Southern Ocean sperm whales, it also damaged a major carbon "sink," the scientific term for something that removes more greenhouse gases than it produces, it added.

Before industrial whaling, the population of this species was about 10 times bigger, which meant around two million tonnes of CO2 were removed annually, said the paper."

What an unlikely ally we have found in the battle against global warming

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Interesting.

If you're impatient to read the article, the science behind it is that whale feces are rich in iron, and are consumed by phytoplankton. These phytoplankton are plants and, therefore, consume lots of CO2.

When one of their major nutrient sources - liquid whale poop - is removed via hunting, less plankton grow and less CO2 is used in photosynthesis.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Has anyone forgotten that CO2 levels increase as temperature goes up (from the SUN), not the other way around?

"Major paper shows CO2’s effect on temperature was overstated 500-2000%

Mathematical proof that there is no “climate crisis” appears today in a major, peer-reviewed paper in Physics and Society, a learned journal of the 10,000-strong American Physical Society, SPPI reports.

Christopher Monckton, who once advised Margaret Thatcher, demonstrates via 30 equations that computer models used by the UN’s climate panel, the IPCC, were pre-programmed with overstated values for the three variables whose product is “climate sensitivity” (temperature increase in response to greenhouse-gas increase), resulting in a 500-2000% overstatement of CO2’s effect on temperature."

nzclimatescience.net...

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I wonder , should I buy some stock in a company that makes whale laxative ?

I also wonder , what are the chances that Al Gore would be it's CEO ?

Hmmm

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   
LOL ! What we have to do is to dump iron into the sea, thats an old story.

But the bankers like Al gore prefer carbon tax.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by ickylevel]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Hooray for whale poo!

Yet another reason to stop Japan exterminating whales.

Please stop them!

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Related -

Obama Under Fire for Backing Deal to Lift Global Ban on Commercial Whaling

WASHINGTON, June 6 (UPI) -- U.S. President Barack Obama is breaking a campaign promise as his administration backs an effort to lift a 24-year ban on commercial whaling, critics say.

also -
www.upi.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   
All I have to text is the more the a holes keep chopping down trees and other plants that absorb the CO2 then convert it to O2, the more we will suffocate and the more desolation will spread across the world---------------------------------->PERIOD!

top topics

join