It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What knife would be best for a SHTF situation?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
i was in the SAS and also did alot of rooftop knife fighting. my experience is that sharp and pointy knifes are the best ones.
avoid those swiss army toys, its hard to kill a man with fold out tweasers.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Soulsofwe

I'd bet you can.. Also bet it's going to cost you..

Check at a specialty shop that might sell things for hunting. Or a place that sells cutlery/swords..

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
You can't go wrong with these knives and you cant find a better one that is less expensive. They are true work horses. I own the BK2 and it is a fantastic tool.
www.tomarskabars.com...
www.tomarskabars.com...
www.tomarskabars.com...

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Point of No Return

multi-tool for making it on your own somewhere far away from parasites. for defense: a sturdy, sharp machete or a knife you can swing open with one hand with a 45 degree tip and serration at the bottom of the blade. you have to buy a special stone to sharpen the serrated part. i am a pretty big fan of buck.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Soulsofwe

I don' know about 'KA-BAR' but this is a good site for blades.

www.blades-uk.com...

Peace

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by SpeedBump

Choosing a knife is a hard decision-- I have come to the conclusion that you need two--a large full tang for chopping,digging,etc.--and another as a multitool--the full tang as standard stainless or less hardness--u may bend it but it won't break off and the multi should be hardened for screws and wiring etc--I have taken time and researched this extensively and found this the best solution--I could not locate what I wanted for this purpose completely so I made my own--takes a while and some ingenuity but u may be more satisfied--

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I agree with the above poster. 2 knives are good and I would certainly go with the full tang.
A good general purpose knife is a valuable asset in field conditions.
As for fighting, if you are that close, you are probably going to lose. The best way to survive a knife fight is to avoid it in the first place.

Actually, during my time in the military, I tended to carry 3; good medium length machette, a solid general purpose and a fold away lock knife with semi serated blade. Each had their merits and drawbacks.

The old saying being "In a survival situation, you are only as sharp as the knife you are carrying"

edit on 19/1/2011 by TheLoneArcher because: Spelling 1 out of 10 see me!!!

Hi neonitus. So, who was on your DS Team? We may know some of the same people.
edit on 19/1/2011 by TheLoneArcher because: Added Text

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by neonitus

the tweezers are for extracting information, not killing

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Call me a stickler for the design but i just found a knife that I'd love to have and would be proud to carry. Those that are nostalgic and got there love of survival knives from the movie Rambo will appreciate this.

www.blade-empire.com...

CX

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   

edit on 21/1/11 by CX because: Forget it......waste valuable space on a pointless question.

CX

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by DragonSpirit2
Call me a stickler for the design but i just found a knife that I'd love to have and would be proud to carry. Those that are nostalgic and got there love of survival knives from the movie Rambo will appreciate this.

www.blade-empire.com...

Nice to look at, but put any decent amont of force on a hollow handles knife without a full tang and you'll be the proud owner of a two sectioned knife.

I learnt this even as a kid....if i had saved the money from buying all of these breakable knives, i could have got one decent one that would last.

CX.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
KA-BAR or Ontario RTAK-2 are good choices:

www.bkcg.co.uk...

www.heinnie.com...

CX

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by WeMoveUnseen
KA-BAR or Ontario RTAK-2 are good choices:

www.bkcg.co.uk...

www.heinnie.com...

Hennie Haynes is where i got my BK2, they sell the 2nd Gen versions with the pommel in case anyone is unsure from the photo on the site.

I must say though, i bought a USMC Ka Bar, i love it and thinks it's a lovely khife which feels comfy to use. However i haven't touched it since getting my BK2, and last night i took my USMC Ka Bar out to oil it, and it feels so flimsy compared to the Ka Bar.

To be honest, although it's nice having a USMC Ka Bar as part of the tool box, apart from a decent folder, i think i'll stock to at least 1/4in blades when buying from now on.

I tend to be a bit of a brute force kind of guy at times, and i like to know my knife cam handle that.

CX.
edit on 21/1/11 by CX because: spellings.....again!

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

Then the RTAK 2 is a great choice, mean heavy blade for the price and it can be used as a good alternative to Axe as I'm sure you are well aware. I bought KA-BAR USMC 2000 about a month ago and I'm very pleased with it also. I just need to put a keen edge on it but it's a lovely light weight blade.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
i use my ka bar for making grilled cheese sandwiches.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join