It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I object to this blatant disinformation and propoganda by ATS on their home page

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Let me tell you something I found amazing. I have the onion on my facebook page. They post some great articles every single day and when I read the comments posted by other readers I am shocked. So many posters are offended by onion articles. I realize that there are a large group of people on this planet who have zero sense of humor and seem to perpetually have a stick up their butts.

link   
And another thought. We should keep discussions to some very real media manipulation that is going on - both mainstream and from BP.

The truth about BP buying internet search terms

link   

Originally posted by LarryLove

Originally posted by ElijahWan

Originally posted by Just Wondering
reply to post by MrDesolate

Don't worry about my investments they are sound,
What you should worry about is being led by the nose by all the discreet propaganda shrouded in parody around you that you don't even realize it is there.
By the looks of things I think you have already succumbed. So sad.

Sheeple much?

First off, a banner doesn't "lead me by the nose", infact when I saw it I realized it's satirical tone and had a good laugh. I believe most comedians agree comedy is the easiest means to convey truth.....

Second, the truth IS that BP a) hasn't been transparent at all b) has been more concerned for profits than protecting our coasts. (And who can blame them...they are a FOREIGN corporation). c) They've lied to us from day 1 about how much oil was coming out. Hell they haven't even given us a PROPER estimate, first starting with 1,000 barrels a day and only going up from there...now it's between 30k-60k barrels PER day....

and lastly, if EVERY person who found a problem with something on the ATS homepage made a thread criticizing it....we'd eventually end up with just a blank white page....Surely that is what this OP wants? To be fair to all yes?

ZOMG I just saw a Red Baron pizza ad on the homepage! (Seriously, it's there) and I work for Little Tony's, this isn't right and I DEMAND the people WHO OWN THE SITE take it down......

The OP should learn not to take everything so seriously and have a laugh every once in awhile....Then again...how could the OP laugh as he sees his stocks tank...Good luck! Hopefully the stock rises for ya...

No, BP is as much an American company as it is British. Please people, facts are facts.

While I agree that they are NOW a global "corporation"..... many would disagree that they aren't a foreign corporation....they ARE a foreign corporation....

At the very least they aren't an American corporation, only have business here. In essence most of these "global" corporations are "states" of themselves.... but being based in BRITAIN, does indeed make for strong ties to England, albeit among other "global" ties.

en.wikipedia.org...

BP plc[2] is a British-based global energy company which is the third largest energy company and the fourth largest company in the world. As a multinational oil company ("oil major"), BP is the United Kingdom's largest corporation, with its headquarters in St James's, City of Westminster, London.[3][4][5] BP America's headquarters is in the One Westlake Park in the Energy Corridor area of Houston, Texas.[6] The company is among the largest private sector energy corporations in the world, and one of the six "supermajors" (vertically integrated private sector oil exploration, natural gas, and petroleum product marketing companies).[7] The company is listed on the London Stock Exchange, New York Stock Exchange and is a constituent of the FTSE 100 Index.

FACTS are facts....

[edit on 6/16/10 by ElijahWan]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

But BP is 39% American owned.

Source

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by twitchy

You seem like an intelligent girl, so you must realize that thread was started over a month ago. At the time everything I posted in that OP was a fact.
Of course things are much more severe now.
Would I start that thread today? Of course not, was it accurate at the time I posted it? indeed it was.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Well,I did not see the banner,so I can't express a opinion.

I do read the Onion and check out Ironic Times once a week.

Satire is as old as man and civilization.

The one good thing I see from this man made disaster in the gulf is all the jobs that will be created from it.

I am sure the Oba-Mao collective will be sure to include those numbers when lying about the economy and jobless numbers.

Always look at the bright side.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   

But BP is 39% American owned.

Source

From your source:

According to BP’s figures, 40% of the stock is owned in the U.K.

40% > 39%.....

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ElijahWan

This point has been argued a number of times on ATS. The fact remains that BP is an Anglo-American company. Nothing more nothing less.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Not sure what I think of it, but it was shocking when I first saw it this morning. I wasn't quite sure what was going on.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by LarryLove

Point taken, I presume then I should rescind my use of the word "Foreign". Regardless, they aren't a solely American based company and thus I find it completely messed up how my Govt. is treating the crisis...Alas that's something for another time and thread.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Just Wondering

And if you had no money invested in BP?

Looking at it, they took more than just your 50k dude. Some we win, some we lose. Be a good loser to ask the least.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

Insofar as the sensitivity we should all have for pensioners and investors... it's call risk. It is the ostensible reason for the return. Sometimes, you lose. BP was a bad choice of investment. Many other bad choices have surfaced and many more will continue to surface....
[edit on 16-6-2010 by Maxmars]
My sensitivity is towards the employees and others innocent bystanders in the line of fire. Also the pensioners, they usually trust their company will invest their money wisely, most of them probably didn't even know they owned BP stock.

As far as the prospectors/investors go, I agree with you, it is a roll of the dice. Hence why we diversify.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

I agree. How we deal with situation is more important than anything else. The oil business in general has had a big wake up call. God knows what happens next.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   

I completely agree. This is a very delicate situation, and some balance will have to be maintained.

This has the potential to throw us into a bad situation other than just environmental, if we're not careful. Plus, it's not just the UK. Americans make up 40% of the workers for them.

An ideal situation would be to get this mess stopped and cleaned up, with BP back on it's feet. Yep.

There are indeed profound economic considerations for many people.
But we are at the point now, that it lacks our full consideration and attention.

The priority first and foremost is to stop this. To save our environment.

We can think about money afterwards.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   

The kindest thing I can do is keep my investment where it is and wish the company the best so that all of its pensioners and employees will survive this.
And don't forget all of the contract companies and their employees that make most of their yearly total from BP and associates.

No, that's merely the most convenient and potentially profitable thing for you.

You're the "hidden hand" of capitalism that moves markets. As long as you keep your stock in BP, you are voting that you approve of what it has done. By selling your stock you show your disapproval and cause the corporation pain in its bank dealings. Until sufficient numbers of "hidden hands" does so in concert the corporation's pain threshold won't be reached and they will have no incentive to change behavior.

Leaving your money with BP abdicates the responsibility that capitalists ask the rest of us to trust.

There are better places to put your money, probably just as profitable. I challenge to do your duty as the tenets of free market capitalism demand and divest and apply your investment to a different, more responsible company.

You can always buy it back later when it'll be cheaper, anyway.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by apacheman]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   

I agree. How we deal with situation is more important than anything else. The oil business in general has had a big wake up call. God knows what happens next.

One can only hope it's a stronger push from the PEOPLE towards alternative energy sources. It's about time the sea-life of the coast, among other wildlife in the world stopping paying with their lives for the greed of humans.

I know the "conservatives" here (As in, in America) have voiced a problem with Obama using the Oil Spill to push and energy bill but IMO that's exactly what I would have done. You gotta capitalize on the public uproar that comes from this "accident" in the gulf. ((I'll leave it up to the reader to decide if it's still considered an accident when gross negligence is involved))

[edit on 6/16/10 by ElijahWan]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by qonone

And if you had no money invested in BP?

Looking at it, they took more than just your 50k dude. Some we win, some we lose. Be a good loser to ask the least.

Assuming my $50k is lost.
Assuming I am not a good loser.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   

If they use your cash to clean up to best of their abilities to save what they must, you deserve every penny. Thus far though...

I honestly hope BP comes clean and you make your millions, though you ain't getting your quarterly dividend.

[edit on 6/16/2010 by qonone]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   

You seem like an intelligent girl, so you must realize that thread was started over a month ago. At the time everything I posted in that OP was a fact.
Of course things are much more severe now.
Would I start that thread today? Of course not, was it accurate at the time I posted it? indeed it was.

No, it wasn't accurate... that's the problem. For example, you claimed the the Coast Guard and BP had contained the oil that had spilled, when they clearly had not. You claimed the oil had not reached any of the shorelines, when it clearly had. You claimed that Fishermen were lazy tax cheats sitting around waiting on a disaster check when you probably know better, you claimed no animals were dying from the oil when they clearly were.
I could understand your point if you had posted this a few days after the rig explosion, disinformation and propaganda are just that regardless of the context or participles.
You say you have a good deal of money invested in BP and I understand your feelings, a film I co-starred in once got completely railed by the local media the day of our premiere and I was pretty angry about it getting trashed because essentially I had a vested interest in the success of the film... but the truth was the film was pretty bad and they had every right to express their opinion about it.
Ask yourself one question, as an investor, if you are so worried about protecting your investments in BP, where were you when BP was racking up one of the longest lists of safety violations in the Oil Industry's history?
Take a look...
BP's extremely long list of violations (in only a few short years)
You bet on a lame horse and now you want all of us to feel bad for BP's investors? I don't, sorry but I just can't muster sympathy for people who backed a company that is arresting and threatening journalists while they try to figure out how to keep getting their oil out of this deal. They drilled in a bad place, BP is one of the companies that helped discover the active volanic nature of that area and they drilled there anyway disregarding some of the most basic safety equipment and fail safe methods as well as the scientists who for decades warned about this very scenario.
BP is going down the toliet, as well they should. If that takes your money down the tubes with it, well maybe you should have checked into their safety record first.
Most investors eventually gain a a knack for smelling lemons, look at this as an opportunity to sharpen your acumen. BP is doomed, like you said yourself Diversify, but don't expect the victims to shed tears for the perpetrators in what amounts to ecological rape.

(By the way, I'm not a girl...)

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Might aswell put a banner up showing the US & UK military and the text can say 'killing the innocent for peace & OIL' !!!!!!!

The banner is not needed and in my opinion lessens ATS as a site

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join