It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Uses Gulf Oil Spill for Energy Agenda Push

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaploink

Our nation will never stop its dependency on oil, for what you see in the gulf, US actually doesn't have a need for dependency in foreign oil as our nations holds very vast amounts of oil reserves in its soil and coast.

But is all privatized.

The American dollar is backed by our oil, you take the dollar from the oil backing and our dollar will collapse.

That is one of the reasons that US can hold such vast amounts of debt and still be leading in the world.

Because oil. . .

[edit on 16-6-2010 by marg6043]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by realmatrix

cap and trade is going to COME to pass obama has said he'll do it through the EPA

edit to add
90 percent of the problems with yamaha 4 stroke out board motors is the water which is immiscible in the ethanol
it is reaking havoc with the 4 stroke motors

[edit on 16-6-2010 by Danbones]spedding aaargggh

[edit on 16-6-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

very good thread
In the ground reserves keep the dollar afloat while allowing the price to go through the roof
which is coming shortly
there are 40 some miles of oil tankers (end to end) loaded, bought while the price was below 50 bucks a barrel just waiting for the price to go up
(8o million gallons each)

the shutting down of American made reserves is a sure sign that this is imminent

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Marg, you are spot on. What I do not understand is why USAmericans are allowing President Obama to arrogate to himself imperial authority and function as the sole authority over what is done and how BP is judged and dealt with. Your Constitution does not outline this behaviour as proper function of the Executive, and as someone who loves the USA from north of the border I am flummoxed by this imperial development. Surely, your Congress and your State governments have proper roles to play in all of this.

There is no doubt that this is the worst Presidency yet.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

So much deceptions, lies and corruption, is all in now in front of our eyes, and people still doesn't get it, how far private corporate corruption will go to enrich their pockets at the expenses of human life, and to control the world.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Pellevoisin

I voted for him, yes I admit that much, I fell for the hopes and dreams . . . what I wasn't expecting was somebody so into the pockets of corporate corruption that is making me wonder what is coming our way everyday in this nation.

And is not over yet is just the beginning.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
After George W. Bush, I thought Obama would be a huge improvement for the USA and for all of us in the world.

In the end perhaps what everyone responded to so enthusiastically was simply Obama's ability to speak intelligible English after W. Bush's language buffoonery.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Pellevoisin

Yes he is a great speaker and more charismatic that Bush, but now we should come to the sad realization that politics and political parties are all working under the same power, one that we the people are powerless to control.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I am also intrigued by this push for alternatives to natural oil/gas mining.

I am also fascinated at what implications this has on say foreign policy, and also some of the pitfalls that I have picked up from monitoring other world stories.

For instance, if you push or anticipate a sharp rise in demand for lots of turbines and motors (and it would have to be unimaginably large quantity to replace our many millions of joules of energy currently generated from combustion engines) you will need lots of copper, but also, I understand, to get the best results lots of 'rare-earth' metals, that are used to get important efficiencies from the motors/turbines.

Now, there was a great article on BBC newsnight not so long ago explaining how China happen to hold the majority of current known easily accessible rare-earth metal deposits within their borders. I understand there is a company in the USA that says they can obtain them - but I think it is a more costly (thinly spread/less easily accessible?) route.

Secondly, I am aware that China has been reportedly making major deals all over the world securing all kinds of mineral deposits, buying up mining companies, obtaining rights from governments - some massive deals/deposits, including vast amounts of copper. There was an article last year indicating that they had also secured a position of prime bidder with Afghanistan to extract their largest copper deposit - as yet untapped.

Interestingly, the same week, days before, Obama unveils this new strategic direction, there has been that much discussed article about the untapped Afghanistan mineral wealth - including copper and lithium - both important 'alternative energy economy' ingredients. It was a very pro US piece, does that mean the previous reports about the Afghan/China deals are incorrect? Is it the same deposit(s)?

Amongst other things, I will be interested in whether the notion that such a frenzied and rushed push from oil/gas to electric will make the world any safer, or reduce the amount that countries end up in armed conflict over access to resources, I have a suspicion copper etc. may simply become the new targets/oil?

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Just an after thought:

If copper/rare earth and other 'electric-economy' mineral deposits make a (relatively rapid) transition in priority(versus oil) for enough of the planet/industrialised nations, and if as we read, there is a growing desire from other interests (e.g. China, Russia...) to replace the dollar's position as the default reserve currency, then could there be an opportunity there for leverage to a currency holding mega-access to those 'electric-economy' minerals (copper/rare-earth) [edit: to establish a new default reserve status/currency based on trading on those other minerals] as securing oil/gas replacements become strategically and economically the priority for industrialised economies?

[edit on 16-6-2010 by curioustype]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by curioustype

China has a big problem, while they are a nation that has developed very fast, holds vast amounts of US bonds they do not have one very important thing that is the driver of energy in the world, Oil.

They are buying all kind of natural resources that they can from nations willing to sell, they also have invested billions in Iran oil.

But is one problem, this are not in China's soil, if something happen with any of the nations that China hold rights the nations can default leaving china in limbo.

I read about the mineral deposits in Afghanistan, all that gives another angle of how US invaded Iraq and Afghanistan for their natural resources.

Understand that the only ones to benefit from any resources in other countries is corporate entities.

Everything that drives economies is about control and profits.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sir Solomon
This is possible, but I think (rather hope) that the congressmen fight so much that nothing will get done. Given how long Health Care reform took to get done there is a chance though.

Something we have to think about though is that most people aren't shocked or scared by this event. Most people, especially in the Gulf, are ticked off at the government (even more). The environment may not be right for popular support for this kind of legislation.

Like you said about the Health care bill, it took awhile, but it got done. There is no chance. They tried it before and it got shot down. There was no popular support for it so they passed it anyway. Just like the cap and trade. I was brought up and fought. Now they have some propaganda behind it and they will pass it anyway regardless of what anyone voices.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   

I see what you're saying with China's many overseas deposits/deals being a vulnerability, but that hasn't that been true of all empires, including the USA's?

Back at home, China have those VAST coal deposits, HEP - including that unholy great Three Gorges damn, a bit of nuclear I guess? I hear China have woken up and take very seriously the failings of those energy sources and possible environmental threats they pose to their very integrity. [edit: but I don't think that will hold them back from exploiting them in order to further sustain or develop their current advantage/position in the world - they will improve the situation when they can]

I think that BBC Newsnight report on rare-earth minerals in China was worth a look, I think they mentioned that nearly all of the motors/turbines for current gen' electric vehicles and wind turbines (worldwide) originate from China now, because of their (unique?) mineral deposits.

Looking forward, if China can continue their (stunning and as yet unhindered) growth, they will NEED to cut out exports of those minerals to sustain development of their own increasingly important middle class...

If they can keep growing while the West is stuck with it's last-gen oil based infrastructure and financial woes, I don't know, I just feel the wind is changing? Wouldn't you love to know what the leaders of the world REALLY discuss/are privvy to in terms of data on these issues?

[edit on 16-6-2010 by curioustype]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   

obama
he is a practitioner of NLP
nuero linguistic programming
very sophisticated
its gets a lot of people off guard
thats why I read what they say
its black and white
and checkable

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by curioustype

Is one thing China will no do, and that is to follow the same path that has make US so vulnerable economically right now.

They are behind watching very carefully the cap and trade as they believe that most of the manufacturing for the new wave of solar power innovations will come from them.

Yes they have been working very hard on what US wants and demands.

Still they also hold vast investment in US soil, in the name of companies.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

That is new to me, I had no idea he was into mind controlling.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
It isn't even about alternative energy!

His Oval Office Address is the proof:

Getting off of oil also means getting off of the following (and MORE):

Ammonia, Anesthetics, Antihistamines, Artificial limbs, Artificial Turf, Antiseptics, Aspirin, Auto Parts, Awnings, Balloons, Ballpoint pens, Bandages, Beach Umbrellas, Boats, Cameras, Candles, Car Battery Cases, Carpets, Caulking, Combs, Cortisones, Cosmetics, Crayons, Credit Cards, Curtains, Deodorants, Detergents, Dice, Disposable Diapers, Dolls, Dyes, Eye Glasses, Electrical Wiring Insulation, Faucet Washers, Fishing Rods, Fishing Line, Fishing Lures, Food Preservatives, Food Packaging, Garden Hose, Glue, Hair Coloring, Hair Curlers, Hand Lotion, Hearing Aids, Heart Valves, Ink, Insect Repellant, Insecticides, Linoleum, Lip Stick, Milk Jugs, Nail Polish, Oil Filters, Panty Hose, Perfume, Petroleum Jelly, Rubber Cement, Rubbing Alcohol, Shampoo, Shaving Cream, Shoes, Toothpaste, Trash Bags, Upholstery, Vitamin Capsules, Water Pipes, Yarn.

If he wants us to use less oil he'd tell us to stop buying crap quality products that break. He'd be grandstanding to buy high quality long lasting Made in the USA products.

Using the spill to push for alternative energy but not for everyone to stop buying garbage products proves there's an even bigger agenda here.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

That is the best prof I now have about the hidden agenda of Energy agenda reform so far, thanks to you.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
What this is all about is TPTB see that Americans want to get away from oil. So they say, fine, we are going to help you do that.. as long as we have control.

This means to me even if someone perfects a clean, cheap or free energy device tomorrow and wants to give it to the world, the Gov will step in and say, No, you can't do that, we have to regulate it.

Tha'ts my opinion.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Thanks.

It occurred to me as I listened to the speech live.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join