It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swearers face $100 fine

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Well now, that is quite some law there. It makes me wonder just exactly who is in charge of what? Why this word is for offensive than that words. Words are tools of expression. In order to properly communicate an idea or the true understanding of the feeling, an expletive is often times the only way.

I am reminded, of course, of George Carlin's bit on the F-word. Of how that one word conveys so many meanings. But as I have a large and expanded vocabulary, I think it is best to mention the etymology of these cuss (or curse—depending on local dialect) words.

The majority of these quaint words are of Saxon origin. And it is important to note that as the Anglos became the ruling class, efforts to remove Saxon words as uncouth and offensive by rules of etiquette is the basis of them becoming curse words. Many of these words are onamonapea. For example the act of defecation while squatting and allowing it to hit the ground does indeed sound like that particular word.

The holiest of holies of these quaint four letter words is the aforementioned F-bomb. Etymology has always been at a loss for the true origin (as with many words) but while researching it, it is noticeable just how many languages have such a similar word. My best guess would be an onamotapea from the same origin as that rather quaint word: queef for much the same reasons.

D-- and H-- are obvious in their origins from the Bible. But consider the Latin damnum meaning damage or expense. But in the biblical sense, receiving Damnation to Hell, is a formal condemnation of your soul to the Lake of Fire. Unpleasant thought, thus they became unpleasant words.

Quantum Instance Be Thy Way

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Man police are great aren't they.

Yeah, especially when you read the article and see the reason behind this.
To clean up the moral of Queensland, nooooo.
The reason?
Revenue and less paperwork for the cops.

There ya have it...

peace

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Dragon Grave Poetry

Many of these words are onamonapea. For example the act of defecation while squatting and allowing it to hit the ground does indeed sound like that particular word.

I've read that three times and I still can't imagine what word you're speaking of.

Call me naive lol!

*Pictures a big grizzly bear taking a dump in the woods... Asks self: "What sound did it make hitting the ground?"
I have NOOOO idea...

Anyway!

They really needed you to write that article! At least it would have added some class and gave it a little respectability.
But no - they just blurt it right out - it's for the cash and to save paperwork.

Brazen little things aren't they...

peace

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
oh yay the thought police are finally here! who are they to tell us what words we can't use, this is ridiculous. next thing you know walking down the street with your shoe laces untied will be a crime, because they're looking out for your safety of course, just like the seat-belt laws.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
It would be so easy to abuse for the police to issue tickets.

Just go to court and say no I didn't say that: innocent until proven guilty.

Anyway if they did try to implement it people would just invent new swear words like kids with their vernacular.

Pladgeflicking Gilf rubbing shandy drinking wendy ononists!

It'll never work

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
What if you curse in another language?
Maybe it would be good to invest in learning a few choice words in some obscure language.

At least you can feel like you have said something.

Maybe learn to use medical terminology to describe your situation in clinical terms or learn to curse in klingon!

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I'm kind of okay with the fine for trash-talk, but public urination?

Come on, sometimes a man's gotta go. I probably urinate in public once a week or so.

What is the world coming to when a man can't whip it out and relieve himself for all of nature to see?

It's only natural.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedonk

Just go to court and say no I didn't say that: innocent until proven guilty.

Well, that the catch.

There is no 'court'.

Precisely (one) of the reasons for this new system. It bypasses paperwork, court, judge time, etc.

That means they're setting a president of allowing the police to be immediate judge and jury. WHAM! You're guilty, here's the fine kind of thing.

The article states only 1% of the people receiving the fine appeal it, so, I suppose that means there is the possibility of a judge, but then it's just 'he said she said' and probably a lot more cash to pay for the appeal than the original fine...

Pretty rank isn't it...

peace

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Oh hell, that one got me - laughed until I cried.

I remember, a while back, reading a post of yours that made me laugh so hard, I developed a six-pack. It was about the 'Jumping Frenchmen of Maine' on a thread about weird illnesses. Ahhh... Fond memories.

Maybe Queensland should take that quote, laminate it on a card and if the cops try to ticket them, hand over the card and tell the cop DOCTOR'S ORDERS

Oh yes. It could give rise to some interesting situations:
Random guy twists his ankle: "%$&£!"
Loitering cop comes up to him: "Sir, you just said a bad word. There's a $100 fine."
Random guy whips out his brand-new, freshly laminated, medically certified 'Swearing Is Good For You' card: "Sorry Officer, I have a license to swear!"
Loitering cop: "Awww %$&£! ... Oooops."

On a more serious note, it got me thinking about those who are afflicted by coprolalia. I sure hope they get a free pass.

reply to post by silo13

I suspect that swearing taps into a defensive reflex in which an animal that is suddenly injured or confined erupts in a furious struggle, accompanied by an angry vocalization, to startle and intimidate an attacker," he says.

When I read your OP, I immediately thought of the visceral anger triggered by banging your shin on the corner of a coffee table and how satisfying the accompanying expletive is (I'm warning you, coffee table: Stay back!).
I agree that it is purely animalistic.

Especially the part about if you overuse the profanity - It looses it's effectiveness helping the pain when 'hammer meets thumb!'

Uh-oh... Maybe that laminated card will have a disclaimer that says "only three naughty outbursts allowed for each sudden, painful event."

I find the subject fascinating as well. Nice thread and you're welcome.
Take care.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
well DAMN !!!
ooops

looks like I'm gonna have to stop
going around urinating on mailboxes.

S**T !!!!
ooops

Crap, there's another fine.

Looks like I'm gonna be indebted
for a while now !!!!

But seriously, there are all kinds of laws
on the books that are not enforced
anymore. Like spitting on the sidewalk, etc...

Most are not enforced

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
If you have a disease that causes you to randombly blurt out a curse word and you can't help it, then I don't see how they could do anything about it. You'd probably have to carry around some documents or something to prove it.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
Pretty rank isn't it...

Speaking of rank, there should be a $200 fine for unattended doggie doodle or cat feces. Excrement lies hiding in long grass for the unwary strollers of the world. What are they to say when their Gucci shoes are fouled by the odorous land mines?

"Oh, I have poop on my shoe!!!" ?

Can't say crap, because that might catch a fine if overheard by a sensitive and overzealous LEO.

Lets talk about manure too. There you are, driving thru the pristine spring countryside in your convertable BMW, loving the warm breezes, when suddenly, your nose is assaulted by the noxious fumes of liquid pig manure from a local factory farm. Inadvertantly, you say the words "Oh sh-t" into your cell phone and the next thing you know, there's a cruiser flashing lights and siren blaring on your rear bumper!

Mines, mines, everywhere there's mines. Fouling up the scenery, messing with our minds.

I'm really tired of all this ordure. Tie a Depends on the butt of all natures critters and keep the poop from getting us in so much trouble.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by There Once Was Man]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jessieg

Yeah, it's called tourette syndrome. Horrific disease...

Hmmm, I don't know if you'd want to use that as an excuse...
Personally, trying that stunt would cause my 'Karma Alarm' to go off.

You know - Pretend you have some disease like that - you just might get it.

Kind of like when you made a nasty face as a kid and your mom told you to knock it off or your face would stay that way...

On top of topic - I still want to know if and when the cops swear, if the public can issue THEM FINES!

That'd get their uniforms in a bunch...

peace

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Oh man, I could never leave the house. I do have more couth than cursing around kids. Other than that I have a reallllly bad potty mouth. I can string together too for more effect...lol. I have a pretty decent vocab but sometimes only a curse word will do. 'What the heck', 'Criminy' or 'for the love of Pete' just doesnt cut it sometimes.
May not sound very feminine but as far as urinating in public...I've been on a long road trip and sometimes u gotta do whatchya gotta do. The trick is- 1. Having a 'look-out' and 2. hiding behind that passenger door juuuust so...lol

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Demetre

'What the heck', 'Criminy' or 'for the love of Pete' just doesnt cut it sometimes.

You reminded me of Col. Potter in M*A*S*H - He used to come up with THE GREATEST almost swears! I'll have to see if I can find some.

But you're right. Sometimes you need to swear - if only to get someone's attention.

Now the problem is the attention you'll be getting is from the po-lice...

peace

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

F--- that. I need to piss.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Its a good thing I dont live in Australia, thats all I can say.

I enjoy a good curse word the way some people enjoy a fine wine, or a delectable desert.

Edit to add;

You need to file a class action lawsuit saying that the no swearing law is harming the public.

www.scientificamerican.com...

Although cursing is notoriously decried in the public debate, researchers are now beginning to question the idea that the phenomenon is all bad. "Swearing is such a common response to pain that there has to be an underlying reason why we do it," says psychologist Richard Stephens of Keele University in England, who led the study. And indeed, the findings point to one possible benefit: "I would advise people, if they hurt themselves, to swear," he adds.

How swearing achieves its physical effects is unclear, but the researchers speculate that brain circuitry linked to emotion is involved. Earlier studies have shown that unlike normal language, which relies on the outer few millimeters in the left hemisphere of the brain, expletives hinge on evolutionarily ancient structures buried deep inside the right half.

(I am always interested in things that justify behaviors I enjoy
)

[edit on 16-6-2010 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Good God's that is CRAZY as hell!

How could something like this even pass? Ohh Well, another retarded law.

If ya risk taking a leak, don't swear while doing it. Double Knock Out Fine! LOL! Or maybe it would be a 2 for 1 deal?

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Always amusing to see people get anal retentive over the usage of profanity, be it the spoken or written word. You want to talk about childish...

...and yeah, I'd probably be looking at jail time between my mouth and the rapid fire cannons my middle fingers seem to be.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Another reason why the law is totally corrupt.

Yet, no doubt, there will be people who fully support it, as they are goody-too-shoes who obey everything that's written down for them.

Morons.

The worst part about this to me, is the consequences. Let's say you are swearing and fined. Let's say you refuse to pay the fine. Then what? Are you hauled off to court after refusing to pay the fines? Let's say you're found guilty in court and have to serve some community order. You refue... then what?

Ultimately, will you end up being forced into jail because you refused to pay for the original fine and you refused all other forms of 'Justice' taken against you?

That's what makes the law so f.....ed-up. It can completely, disproportionately destroy a person's life.

The Prime Minister and Opposition Leader drop swear words on TV. Enough said.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join