It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swearers face $100 fine

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
The poll to the right is very insightful

FLAG WAVING: Should Australia become a republic? Yes No

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

But having a conversation with your friends in public, or on your cell in public and accidentally drop an *F* bomb?

Several things that would become risky to do in public, whenever a cop's around:

Hitting your thumb with a hammer.
Dropping a scalding cup of coffee in your lap.
Dropping your wallet and your keys through a vent.
Banging your toe when tripping over a curb.
Falling down a manhole.

The possibilities are infinite and the swearing in those cases is spontaneous and, according to research, healthy:

"Swearing is such a common response to pain that there has to be an underlying reason why we do it," says psychologist Richard Stephens of Keele University in England, who led the study. And indeed, the findings point to one possible benefit: "I would advise people, if they hurt themselves, to swear," he adds.

www.scientificamerican.com...

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowAngel85
How long until they go all "Demolition Man" and install machines which give out fines automatically if they hear you swearing?

Yeah, that's one way to cut down on the "murder death kills".

One small step towards that scenario for sure...

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by virgom129

I couldnt believe they didnt blip it on ABC, in fact they joked about it...

So, just another standard that's being lowered and becoming the norm and it's a shame... Especially when language is sooo rich!

Also, it's frustrating as IMO there's a time and a place for profanity, and it isn't on ABC, ATS - etc.

But still, that's the problem with believing in something, there's always the juxtaposition - in this case (IMO) they're way crossing the line into Mind Crimes - the fines in public...

peace

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by jeanvaljean

Several things that would become risky to do in public, whenever a cop's around:
Hitting your thumb with a hammer.
Dropping a scalding cup of coffee in your lap.
Dropping your wallet and your keys through a vent.
Banging your toe when tripping over a curb.
Falling down a manhole.

Oh hell, that one got me - laughed until I cried.

Ok, who do I owe a hundred bucks? Or does hell only cost like what, $2.50?

By the way - the quote you added about a good swear helps when you've done one of the above? NICE ONE - thanks for that!

Maybe Queensland should take that quote, laminate it on a card and if the cops try to ticket them, hand over the card and tell the cop DOCTOR'S ORDERS

peace

[edit on 16-6-2010 by silo13]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Funnt that was about female body parts. The crazy things we do with words. I like to look at the etymology(sp?) of words and so many stupid things like Moron and Imbecile going from medical diagnosis to insult that gets a post banned on ATS kills me. It can only be about intent.

On a personal note though, I would keep a hundred buck just for this occasion because no matter where I am, who's kids or grandma is around, or even if God himself were hanging out - when I stub my toe or something similar, there are only a few words that make all better and I would just have to shell out. This should be really fun to watch unfold one way or another.

link   

Originally posted by silo13
But on the other hand (there I go again) it still smacks of 'mind control' (to me) when the reprimand comes from a Cop and not a parent protecting 'little ears'...

Oh I agree, I really hate being told what I can and what I can't do. Especially if this comes from a authority figure!! But then again I do have the common sense to not swear and curse every other sentence...

We shouldn't be needing such regulations if we would understand why it is not accepted to swear and curse in public, IMHO.

Maybe they can hire a couple of ATS mod's, they seem to do a pretty good job in keeping these boards civil.

Peace

link   
reply to post by silo13

in this case (IMO) they're way crossing the line into Mind Crimes - the fines in public...

You mean its OK on Public Radio or Public TV but not in Public???

I think the layers will have a field day, hell they have even got pollies on tape swearing...
And who decides what is profanity???

Wierd world we live in

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime
reply to post by Raustin

Nahh, English is not my native language and am thus excused.

Peace

Edit: fixed the previous post for spelling.....

[edit on 16-6-2010 by operation mindcrime]

Aha! So that brings me to my Great Aunt that swore like a sailor around me as a kid. The thing is that she swore in German and I did not know any German. How will that sort of issue apply?

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Ok, who do I owe a hundred bucks? Or does hell only cost like what, $2.50?

Depends on whether or not you capitalize it.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   

SWEARING in public could become a major money spinner for the Queensland Government with $100 fines to be issued for the offence along with $300 for public urination and other disorderly offences.

A 12-month trial of ticketing for public nuisance offences has found issuing a fine was more cost-effective and freed up both the courts and police.

Just tell the cop, 'I'm not paying. Take me to court.'

Collectively jam up the courts with people refusing to pay.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Welcome to the world of budget shortfalls.

Our elected officials can't do anything but hold meetings on how to squeeze more money from the taxpayer and then dream up laws that's clearly ignorant.

BTW, whose going to be in charge of differentiating swear words from non-swear words?

What's a swear word in the first place? Is it any offensive language or just distasteful language?

I hate words like "cute" and "cuddly." What about my *%$#^%# feelings? "Cute" and "cuddly" are disgusting words.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Faaaaaaaaaaarken hell!

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
What about calling a police officer a Cockfoster? It's a location in England and a tubestation.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I thought of demolition man to.

some funny responses here,
thanks, I needed that! lol

p.s... i could never figure those shells out either...
[in my head, of course]. lol
butT really,... did anyone ever come up with a logical way of that working?
I know many people thought about it after.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   

reply to post by evil incarnate

If he thought he was flaunting a law as well...wow.

Makes me wonder if this will be for EACH word - or a whole rant.

Probably each word. Whoa... Can you imagine!

I'd love to post videos of people going off on cops ($8K later) - lol - but it would cost me!

And yeah, I remember swearing in front of my mom the first time - I felt like I had 'arrived' as an adult. How weird is that?

Oh, and she still tried to wash my mouth out with soap...

My mom used to do that to me every time i swore or said some bad words...

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jeanvaljean

I suspect that swearing taps into a defensive reflex in which an animal that is suddenly injured or confined erupts in a furious struggle, accompanied by an angry vocalization, to startle and intimidate an attacker," he says.
link

You animals you!

I have to admit I really liked the whole article, thanks again - jeanvaljean

Interesting stuff that.

Especially the part about if you overuse the profanity - It looses it's effectiveness helping the pain when 'hammer meets thumb!'

peace

[edit on 16-6-2010 by silo13]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by MugShot
What about calling a police officer a Cockfoster? It's a location in England and a tubestation.

You'd likely be okay there. You're on your own if you call him a tubestation, though.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

"Ah my "blanking" toe"
"Ah "blank" I lost my keys"
"Ah "blank" that building is on fire"

Yeah, this is insane. Glad I live in America (not that we are far off).

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Police organizing gang stalking is very good of them.

What about police for no reason perving into a home and telling everyone what is going on in that home for no reason, other than to rubbish those people.

Man police are great aren't they.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join