It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swearers face $100 fine

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Swearers face $100 fine

www.goldcoast.com.au

SWEARING in public could become a major money spinner for the Queensland Government with $100 fines to be issued for the offence along with $300 for public urination and other disorderly offences.

"Inappropriate behaviour in public places is simply not acceptable and police officers are encouraged to take a zero-tolerance approach to public misbehaviour," he said.

The Courier Mail reports experts fear swearing in public will be a major money spinner and could become the weapon of choice for fr
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   
This law will definately make easy money, free up court(s) and give cheap thrills (or not so cheap) to cops who can now slap you with on the spot fines - no paperwork.

But having a conversation with your friends in public, or on your cell in public and accidentally drop an *F* bomb?

WHOOMP there it is! The Potty Mouth Cops hit you with a $300 fine?

Wow... Scary stuff that.

Though while I agree, for example, here on ATS vulgarity should not be tolerated (and I'll be the first one to report it), I mean come on, you've got time to stop and think as you write your post, time to realize you're breaking T&C and time to edit your post and be more polite, we're talking a whole different subject here!

Can you say THOUGHT CRIMES anyone?

At least that's my opinion...

Unreal this... I thought Queensland was supposed to be one of the last "FREE Zones" left...

peace

www.goldcoast.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16-6-2010 by silo13]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I am so torn. I detest the idea of outlawing words as that just gives them more of the power that makes them detestable to people in the first place. On the other hand, 300 bucks for taking a leak vs. life on the sex offender registry in the US sounds pretty damn good to me!

Have they never see a Christian boycott? Do they not understand how teenagers think? My nephew loves swearing just because he knows his mom would be mad if she heard him. If he thought he was flaunting a law as well...wow. I can only imagine they will just not be swearing in front of authorites. Will there be mics set up to monitor? Or are there already?

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
It's going to make money, free up court and give a woo-hoo to police who can slap you with on the spot fines - no court, no paperwork.

Wow... Scary stuff that.

I can picture some friends with a bag of some kind of tasty snack and one announces that "These are some really fudgy chips" and BAM! FINE!

No court gives a frightening amount of power away for an awful trivial goal.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   
This just in, defecating loudly will result in jail time.

I'm pretty sure that a few conversations I had today would put me into considerable debt.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by Raustin]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by evil incarnate

If he thought he was flaunting a law as well...wow.

Makes me wonder if this will be for EACH word - or a whole rant.

Probably each word. Whoa... Can you imagine!

I'd love to post videos of people going off on cops ($8K later) - lol - but it would cost me!

And yeah, I remember swearing in front of my mom the first time - I felt like I had 'arrived' as an adult. How weird is that?

Oh, and she still tried to wash my mouth out with soap...

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   
How long until they go all "Demolition Man" and install machines which give out fines automatically if they hear you swearing?

I can understand the problem with urinating in publich - but swearing? I never understood what's so "bad" about it, if something sucks, you say it sucks, if something's # you say it's #.

(Oh and i think it's funny that this subject is made a topic here on ATS, were censorship is running wild - not only with swear words
)

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

If he thought he was flaunting a law as well...wow.

Makes me wonder if this will be for EACH word - or a whole rant.

Probably each word. Whoa... Can you imagine!

I'd love to post videos of people going off on cops ($8K later) - lol - but it would cost me!

And yeah, I remember swearing in front of my mom the first time - I felt like I had 'arrived' as an adult. How weird is that?

Oh, and she still tried to wash my mouth out with soap...

LOL, good point. What if you swear so much they lose count. Will you be interogated as to what you said or will there be recordings of everyone and review when someone exceeds the limits of the cops ability to listen and count?

What about scale? Take female genitals for instance. There is no shortage of scientific terms to use. Then there are the many vulgar expressions for it. Then there is the "C" word. What about the "F" word? Will it be regarded differently if it begins with "mother?" How about how they are used?
I also have to wonder if this will be an adaptive law. Obviously people had no problem using Frak and Shiznit and other such nonsense to circumvent rules. I can see them just replacing the originals altogther. Will they have to review the law and make decisions about intent as opposed to a set schedule of no no words?
Give me an hour and I am sure I can wonder so much more about this. There is an awesome movie called simply "F---" except it is not censored. It is all about the history and usage of the word. It was funny and informative and by the end you are so desensitized to the word it just seems like any other utilitarian word. Then someone reminds you it is not polite to say and it becomes magical all over again.
I totally remember swearing in front of mom the first time. I felt the same way. Then there was the day I did it and she did not react at all. That felt like crap for some reason, lol.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   

What about scale? Take female genitals for instance.

Funny you mention that.
I've had a go around with ATS Staff lately concerning a word for the female privates - a word/expression that IS allowed here.

I'm still FLOOOOORED over that one! I can't even use it, even here, to refer. It makes my ears curl.

But it goes far to prove your point - the 'scales' of vulgarity.
And, if the cops start in on that (giving fines for substitutions for swear words) it will definitely WILL BECOME a THOUGHT CRIME!

peace

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

vagina. that is all. ban me.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Ridiculous idea but where does it come from??

I think our individual-minded society has grown to accept swearing as a colorful addition to there language.

"It's is my opinion and I am free to express it"

Of course....but as with everything else, society means you have to take other people's feelings into account. And that notion seems to have shifted.

I'll tell you one thing, if you feel free enough to start swearing out loud in public, in front of my kids, you can be sure that I will address you!!

Why we need regulation? Obviously because we are not smart enough to regulate ourselfs....

/rant

Peace

Oh PS: flagged and starred you Silo

[edit on 16-6-2010 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Problem with this is you hear the F bomb all the time on TV and radio...

I see a few taking these fines to court instead of paying....

If your favourite Idol Judge is allowed to say it, why not you????

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

I believe you meant to type 'ourselves'. That will be $100 please.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

Nahh, English is not my native language and am thus excused.

Peace

Edit: fixed the previous post for spelling.....

[edit on 16-6-2010 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

I'll tell you one thing, if you feel free enough to start swearing out loud in public, in front of my kids, you can be sure that I will address you!!

GOOD FOR YOU

Applause... Nothing like people setting a good example and asking others to also...

But on the other hand (there I go again) it still smacks of 'mind control' (to me) when the reprimand comes from a Cop and not a parent protecting 'little ears'...

peace

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by virgom129

If your favourite Idol Judge is allowed to say it, why not you????

I can just see the Queensland cops sending tickets to rap bands...
"That'll be 47k please...Make the check payable too..."

Yeah, the double standards are frustrating all the way around.

Speaking of which - what about when a cop swears at you?
Can you ticket them?

You better be able to or I bet this is so going to so bad, and quick.

By the way, I wasn't even aware there's swearing on the radio!

Thanks for letting me know...
I think, lol

peace

[edit on 16-6-2010 by silo13]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Love Tunnel

Sphincter

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Reminds me of the movie "Demolition Man"

That movie also had everyone implanted with microchips. This film came out in 1993.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

By the way, I wasn't even aware there's swearing on the radio!

Yeah and it was on ABC

Actually a guy was talking about a song..
Too drunk to (well you get the point)

I couldnt believe they didnt blip it on ABC, in fact they joked about it...

So this fine business is ^&%^& total &^%$^ BS

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by 30_seconds

lol, yeah..He never could work out the shells to wipe

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join