It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Christ's sake, you people ... it's just a bloody oil spill

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
S+F It IS just another oil spill, you know times are slow when an enviromental event takes center stage. Its boring but at least Obama has been shown up for his lack of leadership, class and diplomacy. A holy trinity of silver linings that will hopefully not allow him a second term...

[edit on 16-6-2010 by strangleholder1]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

No -- I completely disagree with your point that "it's just an oil spill."

Not because I don't realize that they've been causing gushers like this and leaving them and the people to rot all over the world and our media doesn't cover it. Not because I'm not ashamed that so many got those 20 MPG gas guzzlers. Not because I don't want us to get off the Oil addiction.

I disagree because outrage is the correct response.

If this is what drilling for oil does (and it does) -- it's damn great if Americans can wake up to that fact. It's now in our back yard. And if BP gets take into receivership, if the corporation is given the death sentence and the executives flogged in the streets -- it's about time.

It is well past time people looked in their own back yard and see what it is doing to the planet; Killing it.

If you want to get upset about all the other disasters -- then do so. People lose jobs, lives, and ecosystems get destroyed. This needs to be a wakeup call and we don't need wet blankets telling us; "get over yourselves." I can understand if you've seen worse, or that your angry US citizens are pretty egocentric in regards to pain -- but you dampening the rage is only helping continue this practice.

So what do you want? A lot of anger over what is wrong, or a minimizing of this tragedy because there have been worse?

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
All I hear is a lotta yappin and shenanigans. This is an Earth problem, people. "You made your bed now lay in it?" Seriously?

If you took the time to watch the BP feeds (as limited as they are) you will know this is not "just a spill".

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Humans have in common with dogs, the fact that we do have short term memories for the trauma of an event, but long term memories of the occurance of the event.

People have mentioned Chernobyl, Haiti, Valdez, Indonesia, S.Africa, Katrina, 9/11 and more to make a point. Will the future of this ecological disaster be as well just another talking point used to compare the suffering of one to the suffering of another?

This leak is as bad as any of the above and will have just as much of a fall out effect as any of them ever did.

I wont argue the mentality of the OP. Opinions are one of the few things that everyone freely owns.

The rest of the points have been well argued and the OP has been stoned by the masses, as far as I can tell. So, no sense adding to that.

I would just hope that light shines on those that think this way before this disaster that seems to be limited to the Gulf expands to affect more people around the world.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Obama's address to the nation was uninspiring and a disappointment, and still you sound like a schill to me OP. This "spill" is many things, but mundane it is not.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Oil Spill History

If you want you can look up the companies involved. BP.

Btw This 2010 Oil Spill is up to 10X worse already then all of the history of oil spills.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by SneakAPeek]

was trying to make my post as ignorant as the OP.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by SneakAPeek]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
"Just an oil spill..."
You are joking,right? I don't think we have BEGUN to experience the actual effects of this situation.

There is a reason for the media-blackout. I am going to guess that many will become ill and that even more will lose what were their lives because of this mess.

Displacement, depression, disgust...things like that cause people to do "out of the ordinary things" and we have no idea how many will continue to be affected.Can you even imagine the "stress levels" of those in the middle of this?

I can also guess that very little of that supposed 20 billion "in escrow" (if it in fact ever gets there...) will ever be used to "help" anyone affected in any major way.

It's going to be epic and I don't mean in a good way...I literally lose sleep at night hoping for SOME POSITIVE SIGN that ANYTHING has improved overnight and I continue to wake up and hear only more BS and agendas.

My thoughts are with those innocent people who have been subjected to this mess and yours should be also!

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
By the way. It's likely this oil gusher will kill the ecosystem in the gulf for about 50 years at least.

Downstream of that is the Everglades -- about the second largest swamp area in the world. Downstream of that, is the East Coast and then on to England -- and up and over the Northern Coast of Europe.

It might not make a huge difference when this water dumps out into the Mediterranean -- but it MIGHT, because the Gulf Stream not only keeps England from freezing over in the Winter, it's part of a colossal conveyer belt in the food chain.

So what comes to the British shores from the Gulf that is necessary for a few million species to exist? What's going to happen when that suddenly stops?

This is my same point about Global Warming; We don't know where it's going and you might find some benefit, but regardless of whether you think it's going on or not -- humans ARE IMPACTING THE PLANET. Any massive rapid change will be bad in the scheme of things -- you can count on it.

So maybe there will be a lot of Jellyfish and we can find a way to eat those, but we might destroy about a third of the seafood that both the US and England get -- just for a start.

I think this is much bigger than 9/11 in what it will do to the lives of many more people and economically.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Threadfall
Obama's address to the nation was uninspiring and a disappointment, and still you sound like a schill to me OP. This "spill" is many things, but mundane it is not.

Agreed.

I was hoping for an FDR speech

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I think 34 threads, just on page 1 of recent posts is a little much.

Can we have an omit oil-spill madness option like we did with swine flu and political madness?

I still catch up with the latest on the oil-spill and believe there is much to be discussed.... but 34 threads??? out of about 50??

I think this is getting a little crazy now.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
So what youre saying is, because it's happening here it's getting some extra attention, some dramatic weight put on it?
That it really doesnt affect the rest of the world because the gulf stream doesnt really flow into the atlantic and that it wont end up in europe and coming back down into the atlantic?
It really wont have an effect on the water temperature or the animals or fish, and that there's no chance in it altering the conveyor?
What youre saying is that this is acually nothing, that its totally fixable and that there's light at the end of the tunnel, and that only americans use oil, and only americans are greedy and lazy and we've lost our way, and that in any other 3rd world nation if this happened it would be as noticable as a fly fart in a tornado?
I can see where you'd come to that conclusion based on your anger toward america, coupled with ignoring all the relevant and current information available on the disaster.
But then in the greater scheme of things it doesnt matter what you say or what I say, because I firmly believe that this type of apathy and true ignorance is as real and as dangerous and is killing mankinds spirit just as surely as the oil is killing all it comes in contact with as well.
It's a world problem skipper, you cant fence in the briny depths.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by HappilyEverAfter]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Morpheas
reply to post by Ulala

I guess you haven't been reading the threads here on ATS because this is MORE than just an oil spill! When 60,000-120,000 bbl/day of oil is leaking out into the gulf and no one knows how to stop it.. it is MORE than just an oil spill! When fisherman and oil workers loose their jobs.. it is MORE than just an oil spill!

This is very correct.

Also I think if enough oil kills enough of the sea life
then we could possibly tip over into an Anoxic event.

en.wikipedia.org...

That could kill all oxygen breathing lifeforms on earth.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

Originally posted by KINGKONG
I hate censorship, but I vote to BAN the OP for his insensativity during a disater like this. He has nothing useful to say, and is only here to stir trouble up. We dont need members like that.

Just an oil spill.....We have members being effected by the oil leak directly right now.....They dont need to read crap like this right now.

Oh, you don't hate censorship THAT much now, do ya? Ban the OP? How about ban YOU? I don't like your opinion, so I vote to ban YOU. What's the difference, really?

Its not censorship, its called getting rid of trolls...and if this isnt a perfect example of a troll I dont know what is.

Anyways, not here to argue with you pal, this thread has only caused anger and nothing useful.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

Seriously? Just because you can't wrap your head around this "spill" doesn't make it a non issue. There's enough oil flowing into the Gulf to equal the Exxon Valdez spill every 4 days. Do the math. This is hardly a 'spill' in the first place. It's not like there's a barge leaking a finite number of barrels into the Gulf. It is an uncontrolled gusher tapped into billions of barrels of oil that will kill every living thing in the Gulf if it's not capped. When it reaches the gulf stream it will contaminate every shore from Key West to Canada.
I don't want to dampen your 'hey look at me' rant with some unfortunate facts, but what kind of pinhead complains about all the BP oil leak threads by starting yet another one?

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
What I find most hypocritical is that the NWO supposedly wants "cap and trade" to reduce greenhouse gasses yet they are not doing enough to stop this "out-of-control" oil-methane gusher.

Methane is about 20 times worst than CO2!

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Problem....

Reaction...

Solution...

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
ok i agree that we wouldn't make such big deal out of it if it were somewhere else but the fact is that this oil spill is leaking too much, too fast. It will have a devastating(and lasting) effect on the environment and fishing industry not to mention that it will put thousands of people of of work. The fact is that the gulf steam is a major part of ocean currents meaning that this could potentially spread too far to manage. And this spill puts too many species of fish, mammals, and birds in danger to say it's not a big deal. It is a big deal and you should be ashamed of yourself for being such a hypocritical ass saying that others are being self centered while all your doing is wining about how much your tired of hearing about it. You are a jack ass.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Morpheas
reply to post by Ulala

I guess you haven't been reading the threads here on ATS because this is MORE than just an oil spill! When 60,000-120,000 bbl/day of oil is leaking out into the gulf and no one knows how to stop it.. it is MORE than just an oil spill! When fisherman and oil workers loose their jobs.. it is MORE than just an oil spill!

And let's not forget -- it's not just the oil. It's the crimson toxins (Corexit) they are dumping on the oil to submerge and hide it from public view.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I love you Brits! Its just a flag. Its just an oil spill.
I would love the tables to be turned in your direction and we'll see what you'd have to say eating Shell Oil Fish (aka shell fish).
Better yet is your home oil heated? Let's fill up that well til you can't breathe from choking on fumes.
Honestly, you think way too much of yourself. Do us all a favor, leave your address. I've got some food to ship to you.
People like this should be made to work the clean up so they can learn what they don't know.
Just an oil spill. Yeah right.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

Yeah, an oil spill of epic proportions...

This is the Pearl Harbor of oil spills.... Don't you get that?

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join