It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Christ's sake, you people ... it's just a bloody oil spill

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
To the individual who started this thread,
You would do well to read the following post and reassess your ignorant and obviously uninformed response to the catastrophic devastation being wrought by this spill...

www.theoildrum.com...-648967

This is, in no way, an ordinary spill. This spill can no longer be contained, nor can it be shut off. The seriousness of this situation is far more dire than anyone in mainstream media is letting on. Forget the President's canned Standard Operating Procedure response, as it is indeed politician rhetoric. This spill will have far reaching implications for many years to come.

I can only guess that the sole reason for your post was to incite the firestorm of response you are receiving for such a foolish and breathtakingly ignorant post. Wouldn't want the Karmic boulder that is now hanging over your head.

May God bless you and protect you,

rockrat

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Where is the OP? Are you the type of person who walks into a room takes the pin out of a hand grenade then walks out again? You have been suspiciously absent throughout the thread. Is this because there is absolutely no merit behind your argument? Can't believe the amount of stars your post got, it's shocking really. Should we just let this go too?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

This just in....

It seems there is another corporation caused "Oil spill", of a vast magnitude, originating from FINLAND!, and spreading around the globe at exponential rates!

The incident all began from the production facilities of a mere paper, rubber, and cables company, as early as 1969! However, in 1992, the spill was uncontainable, and it quickly spread to almost every shore and coastline round the world!

The Oil has been particularly hard to clean up due to it's tempered form resulting in a hard and shimmery surface that attracts on lookers like fly's on sh*t!

Some estimates show that this "spill" may have an impact on our environment, not for decades, centuries, or even a millennium, but rather, may be permanent!

Pictured below is a small sample of the pollution spreading around the globe. Please brace yourself, you might want to sit down for such a horrific site.

Nokia has blocked my emails requesting a response in this matter. Media Blackout?

It seems the Fin's have a lot in common with Americans, no?

(yes i am new here)

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Can we get a de-flag ability? please?

This has to be one of the most ridiculous threads Ive seen in a while.

"Just an oil spill"

for one, this was a British company, not american.

Secondly, this is one of the biggest ecological disasters to date how is this not an issue?

and believe me, i get tired of seeing hundreds of threads about the same issues, but still, this is a very important event.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
So, you did nothing when your army came here to the Persian Gulf for oil and destroyed everything. And now you are paying back. This is divine justice.
Capitalism and ignorance will destroy not only the slave but also the master.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by deccal]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
ulala. You make good point on our destruction of the environment ("our" being US corporations) in other countries around the world and there's no defense for that, I'd admit. But the only thing trivialized here is your trivializing the magnitude and consequences of this spill.

First off, eleven hard working oil riggers killed by an act of corporate irresponsibility. Companies who cut corners that endanger the lives of their workers are never acceptable. Here the metaphor is too easy, but oil money is underwritten by blood money. Those weren't just Americans, BTW, there were also Mexican and I believe UK workers among the dead.

Second, oily beaches are not the main problem and oil does not get cleaned up it were. We found that out in Alaska last year when fisherman took Exxon back to court after the so called clean up effort so highly touted by Exxon turned out to be merely cosmetic and oil was still being released in the water, under rocks on the beaches and fouling sea life and migratory bird habitats. That's twenty years later!

Third, what's dying is bottom of the food chain up. BP is hauling away animal corpses and bird carcasses while keeping cameras off the beaches and we have no idea of what that death toll is. At least three major underwater plumes are destroying the oxygen in the water, plankton, shell fish, corals, etc. and millions of more fish and birds will die from starvation or toxic chemicals in their food chain - which we're eventually at the top of.

Fourth. It's not so much beaches as the wetlands. You can't get oil out of the wetlands because you can't remove the soil. It's akin to peat and can't be just scraped off. It's also far more absorbent than even sand, so the oil gets embedded in the organic matter in the soil. No more rushes will grow for god knows how long and that means no more habitat for miles inland.

Fifth, It's not just a bad smell. It's benzene tuolomene and a dozen other toxic, carcinogenic or neurotoxic chemicals in the water and the AIR. People will be developing chronic neurological conditions like MS, CFIDS (trivialized in the 80s as chronic fatigue syndrome - much, much worse than just feeling "tired"), impaired vision and cognitive abilities and sometimes death. Cancer will multiply exponentially over the next twenty years. Birth defects will too. The human toll is beyond accurate speculation (and of course, speculation is never accurate) but it will run into the thousands or tens of thousands and who's going to clean up if we all move inland? These are not hysterical claims; they are facts, we just can't judge the dimensions yet.

Six, a quarter of billion gallons may have dumped into the ocean already perhaps of billion by Christmas if isn't stopped or slowed. Once it catches the Atlantic Current it's around the world from there, so if you have a coastline in your country it will be your problem too.

Seventh. You don't have to read these threads. Completely your choice what you read and comment on here, so I'd suggest visiting other threads than these.

Eighth the people who are posting here are sharing information, frustration and theories about what exactly happened and what can be done. Why do any of those bother you. It would seem that for an environmental disaster to be big enough to impress you , it will probably have to be the last one the earth will EVER have, because we'll all be dead. But then, we won't be posting anymore, so chreerio mate and carry on.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
how did this get a top spot?

i mean, yeah it isn't affecting everyone, but to say its just a 'bloody oil spill' is sort of uninformed. especially with the mortality rate of the workers at the valdez spill.

this isn't just an oil spill, its a deep ocean oil spill, which we created; something we don't have much information on. with the seabed leaking it seems that there is many things we don't know about.

its called media blackout dude. people are freaked; and yeah they are freaking out a lot on the internet ( a little more than is necessary) but this is rather new to most of us.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by deccal

deccal, There was a song back in the 80a named "Some Men". There was a line it I'd like to share:

We ain't soldiers,
So don't you generalize.
No categories
cause it takes all kinds.

A lot of us did react to deployment before the war. Millions protested, marched, etc., but the Bush administration was intent on wars to make the the Middle East "safe for democracy" (read capitalism). Don't assume we don't hear what you're saying or that we're all ignorant. You'd be wrong. Is this divine judgment? Kind above my job classification to say - perhaps. But I do know that this is capitalism at its worst and it takes a lot to get worse than business as usual, IMHO.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
It's Neocon social propaganda tactics. To keep control and submission and support, we need a "war", an 'external threat'.

Classical social engineering, when Obama needed a 'New Pearl Harbor' the most, much like Bush needed 9/11 to get re-elected.

It's just too bad Obama has mucked up the situation for himself in his sloppy response.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

Hey BRL, I think you nailed it. It's a drive by fragging and the dude is out of here and so am I. I just got very po'd after reading the ignorance or arrogance of this guy and had to read on; to respond. I guess that amounts to me pulling a pin throwing and going too, but I do have better ways to spend my time obsessing about this, so maybe I"ll see you on another thread. Until then, I relate and take care.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

If you're going to comment on the fact that the oil spill is not a big deal and we weren't complaining when benefiting from the oil, you have to also mention the fact that the people/animals being affected by the oil spill DID NOT have anything to do with the spill. Your post is offensive and ignorant..The oil spill IS a big deal and whether you want to believe it or not it STILL effects you.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

I'm here, although it's past 10pm.

Thank you for reading my OP and making your contributions, both with me and against.

But to those ATS contributors who have threatened me with violence for what I have said ... you diminish both yourselves and this forum by every threat you make.

In other threads dissenters are being invited to leave ATS by other ATS members. It's a shame some people feel so threatened by forceful, contrary opinions that they react in such ways.

It's past 10pm where I am, there's too much to read, translate and reply to in the time I have available.

I'll read the whole thread and reply in the morning. That gives some of you the opportunity to contrive a whole bucketload more of feigned indignation

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by VonDoomen
Can we get a de-flag ability? please?

This has to be one of the most ridiculous threads Ive seen in a while.

"Just an oil spill"

for one, this was a British company, not american.

Secondly, this is one of the biggest ecological disasters to date how is this not an issue?

and believe me, i get tired of seeing hundreds of threads about the same issues, but still, this is a very important event.

Wrong and for the last time, BP is 39% owned by America. Lots of American as well as English investors rely upon BP.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
...it's just a bloody oil spill?

Tell that to the folks that have had their livelihood affected due to this mess that nobody cares to fix.

Tell that to the people that are rescuing and cleaning up the birds that have managed to survive this catastrophe.

I would have you tell this to the fish as well but they're either dead or dying.

Btw, can you wait a month or two when the hurricane season is in full swing and folks are having to breath in these dispersants that have been released in to the air for hundreds of miles.
Tell them it's just a bloody oil spill as they are gasping for air and reaching for their inhalors.

I'm sorry Mr Op but you are extremely out of touch in your assessment and grossly insensitive for making such an assinine comment.

I suggest you turn off the tele and quit watching the world cup, since soccer is only a bloody game anyway.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

How is it possible somebody like you go so many flags and stars and I can barely hit 5 of each? Especially for a useless thread as well.

Here is an answer for you:

Wait till hurricane season.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

True there is no need for threats of violence they devalue the argument, but surely you have to understand that you are stepping on a few toes here! It is an emotionally charged issue, particularly for American contributors who are close to this disaster.
As for the feigned indignation that's just a get out clause and you know it. You've now devalued your own argument by basically calling those who care liars. You cannot and will never be able to prove that those who have posted against you do not care as much as they say, and when they make points contrary to your ignorant beliefs your only come back is 'you're faking it.' You are hiding in the unquantifiable.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by Big Raging Loner]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by D377MC
With the possible exception of Stalinist Russia, no country has the same amount of blood on their hands. Even then I'd say you are running neck to neck. Close call.

That's the biggest pile of crap I have seen in my life...

We get it, you are a hateful human being...

BTW, perhaps you have no idea what "staying on topic means", but making ridiculous claims which HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS TOPIC only shows your contempt against Americans and shows how you would use any, and every thread to bash at us...

We get it... now go home and cry to mommy...

[edit on 16-6-2010 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
It's not really the oil that makes this incident as dire as it is. I personally am more concerned over the torrent of methane hydrate coming out of the sea floor and the corexit being dumped into the water, the oil is just the black icing on the water cake.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
33 flags, just shows u how dumb a lot of ATS active members are

just had to say

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

For Christ's sake, you people ... it's just a bloody oil spill

We should have said "For Christ sake you people...it's just the Nazi's" when they owned you back in WWII and we bailed your asses out so you could smoke crack and play X-Box.

I'd like to see the Moderator kick this idiot out of here and delete the thread.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join