It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Christ's sake, you people ... it's just a bloody oil spill

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
just all people in the region lost their jobs for the rest of their lives?

well ... yeah , no problemo, they can live in your house now

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I agree that we are partially to blame due to our addiction to oil.

I also agree that the President may have made it sound like we were at war with the oil slick its self. (Because we are)

Where I disagree with the OP is that this is "just an oil spill". From my personal experience, it is difficult to clean oil off my driveway when I spill half a quart. I can't imagine the effort needed to clean up this massive spill in the gulf. This is not "just an oil spill". This is a big problem.

I would like to add that the OP reminds of the problem that almost all humans have. We see issues such as the oil spill as not a big deal when its not in your immediate area. If its not in our backyard...we dont care. I think we need to learn that even the trivial issues effect us all. We are not Americans, Germans, Brits, Aussies or wherever you may be from.....we are all humans. We all live on the same dirt rock and we have absolutely no way off. So when we have catastrophic events like the oil spill we need to think collectively, act in unison and care for your fellow man and Mother Earth even though it doesn't directly effect you at home.

It sounds to me that this was more of an attack at Americans than anything else. If so, thats fine....Just make that the theme of the thread. I don't think this has anything to do with oil

EDIT: To add comments

[edit on 16-6-2010 by sheepslayer247]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Well I see a lot of those threads around too.

You may think what you wish about the "spill" as you call it but in reality it is a volcano spewing oil at about 50,000 PSI.

It is in the Bible that the ocean dies, Revelation 16:3

Google it.

It may seem like a doom and gloom subject, but it is something to be wary about since it effects the world as a whole not just America.

Edited to add: Nickolai Tesla had the energy equation figured out around 1913. Perpetual free energy with wireless transmission.

Who killed the Electric car?

[edit on 16-6-2010 by Quickfix]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I am amazed at the reactions to a purposely provocative post by the OP. They range from righteous indignation to outright anger, retaliatory cynicism is rampant. It seems to me the OP is more than correct in what he points out - most of you seem to have lost touch with reality.

I doubt he really believes the 'spill' is inconsequential. Yet the attention given to this topic is particularly revealing in that it stands in stark opposition to the lack of attention given to other topics which call into question the very moral fabric of the country you live in.

America is a criminal state run by terrorists. This is not a recent affair either. You have been murdering, destroying, polluting and imposing your hypocritical ideals on the rest of the world with impunity for far too long now. Where was the popular uprising whilst all this was going on? Where was the righteous indignation?

With the possible exception of Stalinist Russia, no country has the same amount of blood on their hands. Even then I'd say you are running neck to neck. Close call.

Where are the 400 plus threads regarding the contamination of vast swathes of the middle-east with depleted uranium? Where are the creative solutions to mop that mess up? No, supporting Israel and murdering entire famillies with predator drones doesn't count.
Or maybe you simply don't realize that the isotopes used will remain radioactive and deadly to all forms of human life for 4.5 billion years, that the particulate is already airborn and spread by whichever happen to be the prevailing winds and are already silently but surely killing people world-wide?

Are there 400 threads on deformed children born to Iraqi women? Poor, poor birds covered with oil...reading these boards one must be forgiven for noting that they get much more sympathy than Arab children, born in atrocious suffering only to die hours or days later.

It is obvious to anyone with a modicum of intelligence and honesty that some things count and others don't. Which? Anything affecting Americans and their declining lifestyle is obviously important, as is a catasrophic event on your shores. The rest of the world is worth a post or two, every now and then...

It seems to me you don't realize how the rest of the world views you, with your double standards, your whining and your hypocrisy, yet it is perfectly visible in the OP's post. Here is the message, in case you missed it: you have made your bed, now lie in it.

The rest of us are trying really hard to feel sympathetic but we seem to have run out of sympathy and understanding. Maybe because we were watching children being murdered whilst you were watching the super-bowl...

Before you start screaming at me, please realize that I am purposely being as provocative as the OP. Quite simply, I hope a few of you will be honest enough to acknowledge and analyse the message contained in this thread and will recognize that you are not exempt from responsability regarding what has happened, what is happening, or the future demise of your country in the very near future.

Are you going to go down fighting? Are you going to begin standing up for the victims of America's cruelty world-wide? Or will you keep whining on internet forums, EXCLUSIVELY when you yourselves are affected?

It will not be simple to clean up the crude oil, that is true, however it will require more effort, character and integrity to pull your sleeves up and wash the blood from your hands.

That's where you should start.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by D377MC]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

It is not a spill. It's a leak. If you dump a cup of water on the table, the damage is done and no more is coming out. Now, go outside, turn on the hose and spray it in the window. That's a leak and is more comparable to what's going on. It's still coming out and the damage is ongoing. As for it not being a big deal, tell that to all those whose livelihoods are affected. They think it's a very big deal. I'm sure that all the animals that are dying do too.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

You don't even have a clue, it won't be long before it becomes the World's Problem, it ain't gonna be over in a few weeks or months so get back on your X-Box and forget this place.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

I can't wait until this baby goes around the coast and shuts down the gulf stream that warms Northern Europe where your reside.

When you see the Thames and Rhine rivers frozen in July you may wake up.

This may just give you the weather that region would have if the gulf stream was not pumping warm air your way. The world is as much to blame for greed as we are in America. All western nations have benefited from our unprecedented growth.

Stop pointing the finger away from you and turn it around and look at the tha man in the mirror because brother we all need to take a long look and change our ways.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by LoneGunMan]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Funny that such a pompous idiot would make a thread like this.

I ma'am am in FL as of this coming Monday to help my extended fam and their local groups clean the beaches.
So go # yourself.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
It was an accident...a COMPLETELY FORESEEABLE accident. Your beloved BP intentionally ignored safety precautions, killed 11 workers and are destroying untold numbers of sealife and making New Orleans even more vulnerable to hurricanes by destroying wetlands.

Oh, it was an accident. Just like me blazing through a red light and plowing into a schoolbus, which erupts into flames and kills 11 kids. Hey, it was an accident!

Your epic FAIL of a rig has dumped 380 million litres (your measurement of choice) of oil. I'd threaten to dump that much in the Thames, but most likely you wouldn't notice.

Now go watch your national "football" team get tied by a country that doesn't even care about the game.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by D377MC

I am amazed at the reactions to a purposely provocative post by the OP. They range from righteous indignation to outright anger, retaliatory cynicism is rampant. It seems to me the OP is more than correct in what he points out - most of you seem to have lost touch with reality.

I doubt he really believes the 'spill' is inconsequential.

So, you admit he's trolling, and you blame the rest of us. Nice.

Yet the attention given to this topic is particularly revealing in that it stands in stark opposition to the lack of attention given to other topics which call into question the very moral fabric of the country you live in.

America is a criminal state run by terrorists.

Oh, STFU.

By that rationale, why be concerned about ANYTHING else? Your kid gets molested? Well, America is a criminal state. Our food supply is contaminated with lead? America is run by terrorists. Keep focus!

As much as the OP sucked, a threadjack is even worse. If you don't want to discuss the topic at hand, go somewhere else. I'm CERTAIN there are a few thousand threads you could choose from.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
post by mothershipzeta:Now go watch your national "football" team get tied by a country that doesn't even care about the game.

Hah man I love it, thats good stuff.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Uh...

This is not a spill

This is not like somebody knocked over a cup of water.

This is like 100 Exxon Valez ships parking in the Gulf of Mexico and then all of them busting wide open.

Don't be deceived by the fact that they are calling this a spill. Plus they really aren't allowing the media to show you how bad it really is.

Angelia Joiner(Stephenville Lights Reporter)is calling it an oil pour and even that term is still not descriptive enough of what's happened here.

This problem is bad enough as it is, but keep in mind that at least once a year there is a hurricane somewhere between the Texas coast and Florida.

One of the unspoken environmental messes that was caused that you probably have never heard about regarding Rita and Katrina was the mess caused by the oil refineries that dot the Louisiana coast line.

Oil was everywhere. That's why the standing water in Louisiana was so toxic.

If a hurricane happens-and count on when rather than if- before they clean this mess up it's going to be worse than bad, and it's not good now at all.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by c3hamby]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by D377MC

I doubt he really believes the 'spill' is inconsequential. Yet the attention given to this topic is particularly revealing in that it stands in stark opposition to the lack of attention given to other topics which call into question the very moral fabric of the country you live in.

America is a criminal state run by terrorists. This is not a recent affair either. You have been murdering, destroying, polluting and imposing your hypocritical ideals on the rest of the world with impunity for far too long now. Where was the popular uprising whilst all this was going on? Where was the righteous indignation?

With the possible exception of Stalinist Russia, no country has the same amount of blood on their hands. Even then I'd say you are running neck to neck. Close call.

Where are the 400 plus threads regarding the contamination of vast swathes of the middle-east with depleted uranium? Where are the creative solutions to mop that mess up? No, supporting Israel and murdering entire famillies with predator drones doesn't count.
Or maybe you simply don't realize that the isotopes used will remain radioactive and deadly to all forms of human life for 4.5 billion years, that the particulate is already airborn and spread by whichever happen to be the prevailing winds are silently and surely already killing people world-wide?

The rest of us are trying really hard to feel sympathetic but we seem to have run out of sympathy and understanding. Maybe because we were watching children being murdered whilst you were watching the super-bowl...

That's where you should start.

Sorry, had to erase some of the quote to get my words to fit.

I agree with you. Yes, I am an American, born and raised. I am married to a Venezuelan. Until I got the boot from the Air Force in 2007, I didn't keep up with politics or what my government was doing. See in America, they don't put much emphasis on this. They put more emphasis on sports, movies, music, entertainment, etc. That's why you never find ANYONE here watching CSPAN. I am willing to stand up and make a difference now and have a plan to try and lead my fellow Americans and keep them informed around my area now. Trust me, we are not informed when innocent Iraqi Children die. I was there and saw them murdered by Americans and was told to to "doctor" reports, I was a Sergeant over a convoy. Yes, people would attack convoys with innocent civilians and kids as shields. It happens. But innocent people also die over there because your sending "kids" to fight a war. And you come to America and get to know an 18 year old kid, yes, they are still kids. Give them a gun and give them basically free reign to kill people. Life sucks right now, but "I" am going to change it, even if I have to lead this revolution by myself. I was also an Eagle Scout. lol Aim High!

The oil spill is very Tragic. I live in Louisiana and it's horrible to see the people on TV that are suffering. It takes me back to the poor Iraqi's and Afghans who were suffering for no reason. I gave them my only MRE's when I could. I had passion for them, because we are all human beings. But MOST of my troops didn't care. They questioned my actions. They said we should make this place a huge glass parking lot, forget about these people, and drop the Nukes on them.

Hopefully we will all ban together and make a HUGE change soon. But I fear either a civil war in America, a catastrophic event bigger than the oil spill, or WW3 is the only thing that will change ALL humans minds. I pray for peace, but it's time to stand up and WAKE UP!

[edit on 16-6-2010 by ahitler]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
This isnt an American only problem especially if nuked does the water not flow in many directions carring the issue around the globe? OP the oceans are connected globally I cannot see how anyone on this planet could be so the way you are lol and not think that if some parts of the ocean die earth inhabitants are all within danger

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by mothershipzeta

You are the typical kind of American the world despises. Rude and ignorant, with no respect for anyone else's opinions.

You pick out the parts of the thread you think you can deal with, grace it's author with some particularly worthless comments which in no way address the gist of his post, and then rush off, seemingly content with your ignorance.

The world hates you for a reason - you are no victims. As I said previously, you have made your bed, now lie in it.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ulala
I awoke this morning thinking the USA had suffered another Pearl Harbour ... or September 11th ... who would have thought anything else on hearing the words of the US President on the subject of an oil spill off their Gulf Coast ...

Thank God Almighty we over here don't have to suffer interruptions to our tv schedules and be forced to suffer Obama's windy rhetoric ... you'd honestly think he was addressing the Battlefield at Gettysburg rather than talking about a miserably mundane oil spillage ...

battle we’re waging ... assaulting our shores and our citizens ... we will fight ... our battle plan ... catastrophe ... epidemic ... fighting for months and even years ... disaster ... 30,000 personnel ... thousands of ships ... deployment ... 17,000 National Guard members ... servicemen and women ... activate these troops as soon as possible ... mobilization ... siege ... jeopardy ... wrenching anxiety ... crisis of the moment ... Secretary of the Navy ... disaster ... precautions ... explosion ... disaster ... safety ... take action ... hostility ... corruption ... new leadership ... sense of urgency ... lack of political courage ... consequences of inaction ... our way of life being threatened ... menacing cloud ... tragedy unfolding ... seize control ... unprecedented action ... seize the moment ... rally together ... act as one nation ... national security ... planes and tanks in World War II ... determination to fight ... faith that sustains ... Blessing of The Fleet ... obstacles and dangers ... the midst of the storm ... crisis America will face ... hard times ... our strength ... our resilience ... our unyielding faith ... summon the courage ... pray for that courage ... guide us through the storm ... may God bless the United States of America.

www.whitehouse.gov...

You guys need to get such a sense of perspective on this. It's just an oil spill, the fact it affects your own shores is unfortunate ... but you didn't worry about that when you were driving your ever so economic gas guzzlers and their 20mph fuel efficiency ... as US corporations were so polluting the environments of other countries ... countries which most of your own citizens still can't even name, let alone identify on a global atlas.

So far the consequences of this spill have been what, exactly ? A few dirty beaches ... that's a shame. Dead fish, dead birds. That's a shame. A bad odor on the coast ... well, pardon me ... go inland or close the windows.

At least you've got the comfort of knowing the relief wells will be drilled, the leak stopped, the clean up carried out and within a few years you wouldn't even know there'd been a spill ... there's people in this world who'll never have that comfort, their nations have been polluted ... permanently ... by the incompetence of US corporations. They'll never get their environments back, unless Mother Nature's long term healing over decades can somehow restore the balance.

And over 400 threads on this spill ... how desperately self indulgent some of you people really are, thread after thread of more and more apocalyptic doom, you've so taken over the forum with your incessant gibbering about this utter trivia you've even managed to get your own forum set up ... with a neat little "BP" badge to reinforce the message that it's the foreigners who are subjecting your poor little defenceless nation to so much harm. Nice one, they'll be pleased with that, great to be on message, huh ?

So get it in perspective, it's an oil spill, it's an accident, it's unfortunate ... do something about it, plenty of you seem to have so much time on your hands, volunteer to help clean up, help at a wildlife centre, make a charitable donation ... do something ... do anything ... but get over it ... and get over yourselves too.

Well put!!! At last someone with the same perspective as me over this. Obama said this is equivalent of 9/11. Yeah of course it is.

In one hand....some dirty water and a dead bird and five dead shrimp.......

On the other hand....3000 dead people, terrorists attacking a major city, two of the worlds biggest buildings tumble to the streets below.

Exactly the same.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by C11H17N2NaO2S]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ahitler

And you Sir, are the kind of American the rest of the world respects. If only there were not one of you for ten of the others....

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Ulala :

The human cost alone is going to be catastophic.

Jobs lost,health of those near the shores,where the toxins are at their worst.(not just from the crude seeping into the water table,but the dispersants an gas as well.)
People will die over this.

Then look at the marine life in the area,such creatures as pelicans,sharks manatee will no longer be able to live in the area,most will die if they are there.

The gulf will become a toxic dead zone.
There will be no sea life for years-if ever.

But hey,its "just a bloody oil spill" is it?

The amount of oil already leaked could turn the shores of the gulf of mexico into something like the Niger delta.
You seen what that looks like?Have a look sometime...

Ross Kemp did a good piece on the area which i reccomend,if you have the time.:

The rest are on you tube if you want to watch...
Still think its nothing to worry about?

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

Hi, just wanted to say I live in Florida, I know first hand what its done to our already crippled economy. I do not like this post, ITS A BIG FRACKING DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!

It's just an oil spill... Puff off with that noise!
I love nature and the beach and wildlife and the marine life that will no longer be due to this MAN MADE DISASTER.

There are posts because IT MATTERS TO PEOPLE.

Get your head from your bum and realize just because it matters little to you in your part of the world (had if affected you I am sure you would be posting about it) doesn't mean it doesn't matter to other people...

They are just concentration camps, I'm not a Jew so stop crying about the ovens.

I would say before you post again do some research on what this is doing to the environment, do some research to the long term ramifications of the spill on wildlife, weather and economy.

This is a horrible post, while I agree with your statement that this was a long time coming for the oil-addiction we have, but stop whining like a little bitch because we are posting on your site about what affects us.

As far getting out and helping, WE ARE, in person, with hands and by educating people.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

It's just an oil spill huh? You obviously aren't seeing the whole picture if that is your attitude towards this problem. It is not just an oil spill, it's the worst oil spill ever and it's not even close to being contained.

You might think it is only Americas problem and that it will never affect you, but trust me, if this spill is not contained soon it will become the entire worlds problem as it should be already.

It's people like you who think the world can take any thing we throw at it and we'll be fine because well, we have our television and games to help us through. It is the niave thinking of individuals such as yourself that got us into this situation in the first place and now it looks like we may be destroying a large part of mother earth before things begin to look better.

It's okay though, bud. Atleast you still have your television to comfort you.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by Final Solstice]

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join