It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Christ's sake, you people ... it's just a bloody oil spill

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
"Just a spill", ok dude. If you can't see the damage already done from the environment to the commerce, not to mention that there's no end in sight, then you're blind on multiple levels.
You sound like nothing more than self-righteous Euro-trash jealous of the USA and would prolly sell your nuts, i mean ovaries, to get a chance to live here.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by joechip
You'd be speaking German (or Russian) if it weren't for America.

You'd be speaking Japanese if it weren't for the Pacific Ocean..

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

its not JUST an oil spill...

It happens to be a spill of massive proportions with no sign of slowing down in an area crucial to the ecosystem of a ton of species.
This place is a breeding ground.
What do you think will happen when these guy go extinct, or get close?
No more food for the animals that eat them. Then no more food for the animals that eat those. etc etc.

It is also in the location where hurricanes tend to run through, which means the land may soon face the same problem as the waters.

Just a mundane oil spill?
please dude, educate yourself. The fact the OP has so many stars for this just makes me feel stupid for listening to anything said on ATS.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I'd suggest everyone check out this thread if you haven't done so already.

Heartbreaking. OP: I know from your previous posts that you're not the nicest individual in the world. But this leak, and the uproar that it has caused, is not about America or her citizens. It's about the ocean in which the oil is leaking; the ocean which is now dying. If you don't care about your fellow man, which apparently you do not, at least care about the planet you live on.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Amazing how we as a species always looks to blame "someone" for this disaster or that disaster.

I realize there is no BP executive or Oil company employee any more responsible for this...than me.

I AM the one using gas.
I AM the one that uses plastic garbage bags..
I am the one typing on this plastic computer.

All of the above are derivatives of the petroleum industry.

The farmer in the fields. The fat guy with his plastic beer bottle cutting his grass on his John Deere lawnmower, the activist that is driving to a protest with her purple plastic nose ring in, ...we are all accountable for this. We are the ones that demanded consumer goods and wanted all the convenience of modern day......THEY (BP, EXXON, ETC.) supplied the goods. No fault on any one person but I will accept my responsibility for making this happen.

Hope the explosion isn't too big in the Gulf when it happens.
Mans' leaders are actually contemplating an "explosion" to seal up a volatile substance.....

Hey guys, watch me light this fart...........

jeez....the mentality of our species is embarrassing....no wonder the alien species don't want to take this planet over. What the hell would they do with all the idiots.

peas

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by dwiggen
I'd suggest everyone check out this thread if you haven't done so already.

Heartbreaking. OP: I know from your previous posts that you're not the nicest individual in the world. But this leak, and the uproar that it has caused, is not about America or her citizens. It's about the ocean in which the oil is leaking; the ocean which is now dying. If you don't care about your fellow man, which apparently you do not, at least care about the planet you live on.

Just dont dare match his sarcasim and aspects or you will be warned/banned.

They should issue the OP a warning and del this thread before warning others!

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
you really should read your words before you post them. yes it's just an oil spill, but that oil spill is killing many animals, jobs are being killed, people are being killed with the gases being exposed to them. and u want people to just get over it? what if you were related to someone who died or lost everything because of this would you be able to just get over it? it's not just affecting the gulf, this is and will effect the whole world. try caring about people instead of yourself.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retro~Burn

We did have a disaster, on a oil rig named 'Piper Alpha'. Which was headed by an American oil company. No fuss at the time. Look it up.

I did.

Source

July 6, North Sea off Scotland: 166 workers killed in explosion and fire on Occidental Petroleum's Piper Alpha rig in North Sea; 64 survivors. It is the world's worst offshore oil disaster.

Sounds like a pretty big fuss should have been made.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Oil is a natural substance. It occurs in nature without humans involved. Oil reservoirs have surely breached into the ocean due to natural causes. There are microbes that feed on oil, you have to wonder what feeds on the microbes. The oil will go away by itself over time.

The Valdez spill was on the coast. This oil gusher is far from the coast and oil does dissipate to the threat to the coast is less immediate and weaker that a direct coastal spill.

What is concerning are stories of boats passing through an 18" layer of oil far from the coast. Then the US refusals to offers of assistance from other nations such as oil skimmers from Holland. And the Federal interference with State actions to protect the coasts and bywaters from incoming oil. The Feds are slow to act, and it's very concerning that the the current pres seems less concerned about the spill than the prior pres was about hurricane Katrina. The sooner we kick the Obama administration out of office, the better off the USA will be. That is, after we disinfect the Obama stench off the country.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Yes let us forget the thousands of people who live along the coast who are going to have to worry about how property values of all of their homes fall even lower than they were. Oh and let us forget about how a very large percentage of jobs along the coast of the gulf have to do with fishing. Yea people losing money, houses, lives... its no big deal. We should just forget about it and forgive BP who could have, for a mere $1 million, installed a safety valve that could have prevented all of this. Yes you're right, we should just close our eyes to all the negative in the world and live in blissful ignorance.

Empathy is only a hinderance to an ever evolving world. We must cast this evil away.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

Your rant is way over the top. USAmericans have every right to respond with fury to BP's consistent safety failures in the States from the explosion in Texas City, Texas to this god-forsaken rig.

As for pollution, you lot in northern Europe turned the Baltic into a cesspool all on your own. Pot... kettle .... enough.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
"For Christ's sake, you people ... it's just a bloody oil spill"

Your heart needs to take precedence over your mouth Im afraid. This is a global level disaster. I pray they resolve this in some way so that you and all people the world over dont have to suffer the severe consequences implied by massive trans oceanic toxins.

Take a breath and think.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ulala
So far the consequences of this spill have been what, exactly ? A few dirty beaches ... that's a shame. Dead fish, dead birds. That's a shame.

Yeah, threatening %30 of our countries wetlands and devastating the sealife of an entire region is no big deal at all.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I agree, it would not be discussed if it happened in a third world country. Here are some examples of ugly disasters around the globe:

Nigeria : Spill of the delta

In fact, more oil is spilled from the delta's network of terminals, pipes, pumping stations and oil platforms every year than has been lost in the Gulf of Mexico, the site of a major ecological catastrophe caused by oil that has poured from a leak triggered by the explosion that wrecked BP's Deepwater Horizon rig last month.

Gulf of mexico 1979 : en.wikipedia.org...

In the next nine months, experts and divers including Red Adair were brought in to contain and cap the oil well.[7] An average of approximately ten thousand to thirty thousand barrels per day were discharged into the Gulf until it was finally capped on 23 March 1980, nearly 10 months later.[9]

[edit on 16-6-2010 by gagol]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Just an example of an environmental issue that gets no attention.

www.sprol.com...

It's the plant that makes the batteries that goes in the Prius up in Sudbury, Ontario.

I think we all know about the media in America. I think the BP spill was just a spill they just couldn't hide.

On another note, my mother-in-law is from Venezuela. She said as a kid they use to get tar balls on the beaches all the time. She remembers them being everywhere growing up. Here is a link to just one oil spill in Venezuela that did get a little publicity.

momento24.com...

The big picture. We are screwing with Mother Earth and I feel that soon she is going to strike back at us. I really hope this isn't the case, but the earth has a funny way of healing itself.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by ahitler]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ulala
I awoke this morning thinking the USA had suffered another Pearl Harbour ... or September 11th ... who would have thought anything else on hearing the words of the US President on the subject of an oil spill off their Gulf Coast ...

Thank God Almighty we over here don't have to suffer interruptions to our tv schedules and be forced to suffer Obama's windy rhetoric ... you'd honestly think he was addressing the Battlefield at Gettysburg rather than talking about a miserably mundane oil spillage ...

battle we’re waging ... assaulting our shores and our citizens ... we will fight ... our battle plan ... catastrophe ... epidemic ... fighting for months and even years ... disaster ... 30,000 personnel ... thousands of ships ... deployment ... 17,000 National Guard members ... servicemen and women ... activate these troops as soon as possible ... mobilization ... siege ... jeopardy ... wrenching anxiety ... crisis of the moment ... Secretary of the Navy ... disaster ... precautions ... explosion ... disaster ... safety ... take action ... hostility ... corruption ... new leadership ... sense of urgency ... lack of political courage ... consequences of inaction ... our way of life being threatened ... menacing cloud ... tragedy unfolding ... seize control ... unprecedented action ... seize the moment ... rally together ... act as one nation ... national security ... planes and tanks in World War II ... determination to fight ... faith that sustains ... Blessing of The Fleet ... obstacles and dangers ... the midst of the storm ... crisis America will face ... hard times ... our strength ... our resilience ... our unyielding faith ... summon the courage ... pray for that courage ... guide us through the storm ... may God bless the United States of America.

www.whitehouse.gov...

You guys need to get such a sense of perspective on this. It's just an oil spill, the fact it affects your own shores is unfortunate ... but you didn't worry about that when you were driving your ever so economic gas guzzlers and their 20mph fuel efficiency ... as US corporations were so polluting the environments of other countries ... countries which most of your own citizens still can't even name, let alone identify on a global atlas.

So far the consequences of this spill have been what, exactly ? A few dirty beaches ... that's a shame. Dead fish, dead birds. That's a shame. A bad odor on the coast ... well, pardon me ... go inland or close the windows.

At least you've got the comfort of knowing the relief wells will be drilled, the leak stopped, the clean up carried out and within a few years you wouldn't even know there'd been a spill ... there's people in this world who'll never have that comfort, their nations have been polluted ... permanently ... by the incompetence of US corporations. They'll never get their environments back, unless Mother Nature's long term healing over decades can somehow restore the balance.

And over 400 threads on this spill ... how desperately self indulgent some of you people really are, thread after thread of more and more apocalyptic doom, you've so taken over the forum with your incessant gibbering about this utter trivia you've even managed to get your own forum set up ... with a neat little "BP" badge to reinforce the message that it's the foreigners who are subjecting your poor little defenceless nation to so much harm. Nice one, they'll be pleased with that, great to be on message, huh ?

So get it in perspective, it's an oil spill, it's an accident, it's unfortunate ... do something about it, plenty of you seem to have so much time on your hands, volunteer to help clean up, help at a wildlife centre, make a charitable donation ... do something ... do anything ... but get over it ... and get over yourselves too.

Your missing a few things. The impact on jobs and families. And the 6 month drilling ban. If the slick affects the Florida Coast your talking about 500k jobs lost. In the worst recession in my lifetime. That is a big deal. 25% of all seafood in America comes from LA.

YOur logic seems to be that since the US has caused pollution in other countries then its ok for us to suffer. And exactly what area has a US corporation permanently polluted? I wasn't aware they anywhere on the globe was permanently polluted. Makes you sound like a hypocrite when you refer to mother nature doing her job and healing our wounds.

YOu also seem to be ignorantly lumping all US citizens together as pollution mongering gas guzzling suv drivers.

As far as overestimating the environmental impact, are you familliar with buzzards bay? 40 years later the oil is still in the sediment affecting the environment.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Hey Ula after reading your spill... If you were in front of me right now Id knock your teeth down your throat. Some dead birds, dead plants, lost jobs, a few ruined beaches. Looks that simple sitting on your ass in front of the computer huh.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

It is obvious that you did not do any sort of research on the oil leak... It WASN'T stopped... it is still leaking and fissures are appearing in other parts of the sea bed, and more leaks are appearing because of the pressure being released from deep within the Earth.

This is not "just an oil spill".... These aholes in BP drilled into a super well, and this thing is going to be leaking probably for years if we can't stop it, and everything they have tried has not stopped it.

This is not only going to affect the U.S., but it will affect the entire world...

Do yourself a favor and research this before you keep babbling and bashing away which only shows your own ignorance and contempt...

BTW.... what "pollution" are you talking about that the U.S. has caused to the world?... Don't tell me you are still a fervent believer in the AGW scam, and the claim that CO2 is evil...

In case you didn't know China has surpassed the U.S. for some years now as a so called "pollutant"... and China has less, if any restrictions in what companies can emit, and alongside Russia, India and other countries they have stated that they will NEVER accept a cap on emissions...

This thread of your is nothing more than another thread trying to bash Americans, and doing it not only in a condescending manner, but with no evidence whatsoever to back your ignorant claims...

You were trying to sound intelligent when you made this thread, yet you just accomplished the opposite, and showed you did not even inform yourself about the Deepwater Horizon leak before starting this thread...

[edit on 16-6-2010 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Ahh the joys of summer time.. maybe some day parents will learn to use the parental controls on their computers..

Back on topic.. nothing more than a 'lookie me lookie me' thread.. pay no attention.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join