It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Christ's sake, you people ... it's just a bloody oil spill

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

39% owned by US shareholders.

In anycase, BP is a multinational corporation, their motive is greed, and that my friend is not just a British trait, it's a internaitonl trait.

I think what the OP means is stop the silly threads that proclaim that this is TEOTWAWKI with sources that in the same breath tell you to buy their "oil emergancy" DVD

Yes it's bad, but America at least has the resources to do something about it, unlike Nigeria

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Obvious troll is obvious

Is not just a bloody oil spill is the worst oil spill of all time that has the potential to destroy a whole ecosystem and a way of life, I have went on about the whole anti British debate but there is no denying that it is a catastrophie of epic proportions

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Also there is also a spill in Nigeria that is supposed to be way bigger then the one on the gulf. But nobody gives a (Snip) about it and the people that are getting sick.

www.youtube.com...

allafrica.com...

www.independent.co.uk...

[edit on 16-6-2010 by hesse]

[edit on 16-6-2010 by asala]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Err yea but hey what do seriously expect imo this IS ats...

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by On the level

way of life

Yes, God forbid you may have to give up those SUVS, eh?

Lots of posters complaining about how this event will be used to cram green initives down their throats, but I for one think it is about time.

We are supposed to be stwerds of this planet and we have, through all of our greed, done a dismal job of it.

Taking care of the place we live should be an international effort, America should not be exempt.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
First of all what do you mean 'you people'

But seriously what a counterproductive thread which serves nothing more than to add more apathy to the world. Thanks for doing that two thumbs up to you

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Nice thread. It's not affecting me, so I don't want to hear about it.

Can't wait until your Euro tanks because the Dolllar has tanked because the two are interconnected.

It's sad really, Europe will receive the brunt of the damage from this catastrophe.

They just don't realize it yet.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Its not a spill, its a LEAK!!

It can, and probably WILL affect you, OP, just as much as anyone else.

Look..who cares what piece of goddamn land you live on! We are ALL on this little blue planet together.

Quit your pity party and start thinking about someone besides yourself.

This is killing life in our oceans..yes OUR oceans..yours and mine..no one really OWNS it, do they.

+29 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
A lot of people from other countries seem to have this misconception that all Americans are spoiled, rich, whiny brats who love to play victim so...

Let me set the record straight!!!!

Here in America slightly more than 1 percent of the population controls 90 percent of the wealth. Think about that there are dictatorships with better ratios!

Here in America the cost of living far outpaces wages. Certain crap jobs like bag boys in the supermarket pay near double in Europe what they pay here!

Here in America we sit by as our teeth fall out without healthcare, and any major medical problems can bankrupt you and your whole family! Health care eats almost a third of our GDP.

Here in America you can be prosecuted and thrown in jail for a rediculous amount of time for simple drug crimes. Biggest prison population in the world!

Here in America you have the least vacation days a year of any country!

Yeah were spoiled alright.

The vast majority of people in this country are lower middle class or poor. Remember that. You in fact have it better in Europe, as the vast majority of former US citizens who are now European residents will testify to.

Many Americans do care alot about the less fortunate as evidenced by the fact that americans donate a higher percentage of their money to charity than any other country. Our government is not our people!

I drive a 16yr old car that gets excellent gas mileage.
I have a 20 inch tv I got for free, and no cable.
I live in a small two bedroom apartment.
I freeze in the winter and sweat in the summer as I can afford neither high heat nor airconditioning bills.
I get by spending 40 a week on food with no government assistance of any type.

Now that ive thoroughly refuted your outlandishly bigoted view of Ameican citizens, how about your country?

Do your news headlines reflect the goings on in the third world?

Do you give to multinational charities?

Have you helped to clean up disasters?

No one is playing victim. In fact the vast majority of responses from Americans in all these threads has been of owning up to the destruction of the enviornment, and acknowledging the need for change.

Next time think before making sweeping generalizations about people about whom you have very little knowledge.

The rest of what you said about the oil spill has been thoroughly debunked by others so I feel no need to waste my time with it.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

S&F. Excellent post.

That's all I have to say.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

So far the consequences of this spill have been what, exactly ? A few dirty beaches ... that's a shame. Dead fish, dead birds. That's a shame. A bad odor on the coast ... well, pardon me ... go inland or close the windows.

At least you've got the comfort of knowing the relief wells will be drilled, the leak stopped, the clean up carried out and within a few years you wouldn't even know there'd been a spill ...
You wont be singing the same tune in a couple of years...

It's just a bloody spill after all isn't it...yes...very bloody indeed...

And we can have comfort it may be fixed?!? How much you wanna make a bet it runs dry before they ever fix it?

Gee, at least I can have comfort in knowing I'll die and escape this ridiculous planet one day...

A+++ at downplaying the seriousness of a situation.

reply to post by OurskiesRpoisoned

Nice thread. It's not affecting me, so I don't want to hear about it.
Perfect...you couldn't epitomize the attitude of the human race any better if you tried.

[edit on 16/6/10 by CHA0S]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

Hey buddy Sod off. Obama is an Idiot, his poll numbers are in the tanks, and spent every bit of political capitol on that stupid health care garbage. he is grasping for straws.

Do you not understand the economical nightmare the country faces yet again because of some corporate Idiots and government officials? If a hurricane comes a shore all that oil will come with it. You can't clean that up. Don’t blame the American people, blame the Idiots at BP/AMCO as well as Congress, Halliburton, and the corrupt government official who looked the other way.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Um until you LIVE where it will directly effect you then you might want to just close it, your mouth that is. I live in FL and it's nothing to take lightly and it's a LEAK not a SPILL, get it right, BIG difference. A leak keeps LEAKING and spill is just a spill, one amount not constant flow!

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

I'm with this guy ^
An oil spill devalues what's happened here. It is not a readily quantifiable amount which has been spilt, it is leaking and continually so. It's not as though a tanker has overturned with it's set cargo, this is being pumped out as we speak with no sight of it stopping in the near future.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Just a bloody oil spill. Right pain in the butt eh, especially if the ecosystem collapses if this continues for ages. I'd love to see you log on somehow then and still go on about 'just a bloody oil spill'.

edit: I live in New Zealand.. about as far away as you get! I'm worried in a years time I'll go down to a beautiful, untouched, local beach with no one in sight for kilometers, then run into a whole lot of dead fish and oily birds, because a giant snake of oil has hit my country. I don't want to grow up telling my kids we used to get fish and chips in a newspaper packet.... I don't want them to grow up dreaming about surfing but never being able to do it. I don't wanna tell them they're going starving because the ecosystem has fallen flat, the pollinators and decomposers have died as the sea has too.

[edit on 16/6/10 by GhostR1der]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Is this an oil spill or a continuous torrent of oil?!
Why would you create another thread on BP if you
are so tired of them?

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

Dear OP:

You are not only ignorant, but extremely rude and arrogant. If the oil doesn't stop, and huge clouds of oil reach your shores via the ocean conveyer, will you still have this outlook? What about if the composition of oil in the water changes the weather effecting the entire midwest(where massive amounts of the world's food is grown)? what if the loss of so much oil under the crust causes massive earthquakes? How many lives need to be lost for this to be a tragedy in your opinion? What about when public backlash cause so much environmental regulation that you can't even piss outside anymore? This problem was caused by someone with no doubt the same intelligence as yourself.

You my friend, are an idiot.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bilw85
reply to post by Ulala

Dear OP:

You are not only ignorant, but extremely rude and arrogant. If the oil doesn't stop, and huge clouds of oil reach your shores via the ocean conveyer, will you still have this outlook? What about if the composition of oil in the water changes the weather effecting the entire midwest(where massive amounts of the world's food is grown)? what if the loss of so much oil under the crust causes massive earthquakes? How many lives need to be lost for this to be a tragedy in your opinion? What about when public backlash cause so much environmental regulation that you can't even piss outside anymore? This problem was caused by someone with no doubt the same intelligence as yourself.

You my friend, are an "censored".

Ufff, thank you! Hugs from CushyCrux for being wise!
2nd line..

[edit on 16-6-2010 by cushycrux]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

Just an oil spill huh?

Try telling that to the people who live there who are watching their whole futures and livelyhoods go down the toilet. Tell that to the people who depend on the Gulf for their food and to make a living to pay the bills, support their families, and to keep roofs over their heads. Tell that to the poor animals that are all dying horrible deaths covered in oil.

You sweetie need a sensitivity chip.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by sugarmonkey]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I applaud the OP for taking his stance on this. It was inevitable that we'd get the typical huff and puff responses from certain posters, but, ultimately this is an American based website with multi-national contribution (see what I did there?)

Whilst I don't necessarily agree with everything OP has said, feelings of my own tend to resonate with those that are apparent in his post.

The American media in general has yet again made itself, its country and people look quite ridiculous. We all appreciate the scale of this and furthermore acknowledge the potential for damage, anyone with a half decent education should accept that it has some pretty devastating after-effects locally. What is possibly NOT fitting well with me is the frequency of certain posts claiming that it will affect the world over to the extent that is being perpetually raleighed on this website. I find it insulting to my intelligence, hence, I don't bother posting on this issue much.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by BAZ752]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join