It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Christ's sake, you people ... it's just a bloody oil spill

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
An oil spill is one thing, an oil leak is another. At least with a spill we can gauge the damage done and act accordingly. With this current leak, we have no way of knowing how long this thing is going to play out. Instead of country bashing, as it seems a lot of countries do these days, we need to think positively as a human race. Every country has their stereotypes and the U.S.A. is no exception... but you are basing your arguments on the assumption that none of us are willing to help out with the efforts that are going on and that we are a greedy, money soaked nation. This may be true about corporate america but many american citizens care deeply for their fellow man and planet. I lurk about here on ATS and see a lot from both sides of the coin. Either we see blind belief/fear mongering or we see blind skepticism/downplaying. If you want to prove something, do so professionally.

1. Present your problem/situation
2. Present your data to prove said problem/situation
3. Present your thoughts on said problem/situation
4. Welcome "constructive" criticism and unbiased opinion

Only then can we progress with the arguments that we present here... stop the bickering though... it makes you sound like children

P.S. No S+F for thread... only because of how unprofessionally it was presented.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by sdwrage]

[edit on 17-6-2010 by sdwrage]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Just a bloody oil spill, huh?

[Be sure to check the part about the steel pipe - my favorite]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
PEOPLE its obvious this thread was a ploy to get atsers riled up and gain points for the op account i am going to boycott this thread and i suggest you all do as well.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
If this happened to another country, America would be sending our people over to help out.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Its not just another oil spill,its been proven that the information of the area of the oil spill has been known for a while. The soil has a growing banolith beneath it. The Soil has cracked 3 places due to much oil pressure. Alot of people have died allready due toxic gas leaking up together with the oil.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

This sounds like more smug jaw flapping from a Brit that feels indignant because BP is a British company being 'hounded' by the US media...

Having lived in both countries (US & England) extensively, I have seen first hand the attitudes that many Brits have towards the environment. The UK is overall a giant toxic dump from one end to the other, and attitudes towrds the environment there tend to reflect this grim reality.

Again, business practices and corporate responsibility don't really exist in the UK as we understand them here in N. America; and this apathetic combination of passing the buck and a devil-may-care attitude towards what little environment there is left in England seem to be appearing with frequency from UK members ever since this disaster struck.

Living on a tiny island in the middle of the Atlantic can lead to some very odd national behavioral characteristics - that I believe is what we are seeing with the OP of this thread too..

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimbo999
reply to post by Ulala

This sounds like more smug jaw flapping from a Brit that feels indignant because BP is a British company being 'hounded' by the US media...

Having lived in both countries (US & England) extensively, I have seen first hand the attitudes that many Brits have towards the environment. The UK is overall a giant toxic dump from one end to the other, and attitudes towrds the environment there tend to reflect this grim reality.

Again, business practices and corporate responsibility don't really exist in the UK as we understand them here in N. America; and this apathetic combination of passing the buck and a devil-may-care attitude towards what little environment there is left in England seem to be appearing with frequency from UK members ever since this disaster struck.

Living on a tiny island in the middle of the Atlantic can lead to some very odd national behavioral characteristics - that I believe is what we are seeing with the OP of this thread too..

I take it this post is a wind up from strart to finish.....Very funny

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   

reply to post by Ulala

First off, BP is owned by various people from various nations, as someone has pointed out, America owns 39% to Britains 40%.

What the British people are trying to get people like you, and the media, to understand, is that Britain, as a country, is not responsible for the actions of BP, although the British pensioners are going to suffer.

As for you tripe about Britain being one big toxic dump from one end to the other, your talking cod mate, show me your proof. I live in the lake district, Cumbria, which in my opinion is one of the most beautiful, scenic places on the planet. I have visited the Scottish highlands and the Yorkshire dales, beautiful places. The councils go out of their way to ensure there is no litter in these places. The people who matter go out of their way to ensure if they visit, they clean up after themselves.

Little enviroment left? you have obviously only been in the big cities pal, don't talk about something you obviously know very little about.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   

reply to post by Ulala

The OP is from Finland. And your post says it all really.

Edit to say: You are a really misguided person who thrives on anger and hate. But, hey if you need to fill a hole in your life with these emotions then play on.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by LarryLove]

[edit on 17-6-2010 by LarryLove]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   
*Snip*

You may just get your wish.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of above post.

[edit on 18-6-2010 by GAOTU789]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   

reply to post by Ulala

LOL, what a poorly educated mis-informed Muppet.

I believe in psychological terms this is what is commonly referred to as transference.

Is Poe's law recognised on ATS?

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Divinorumus

I could be wrong about this. But I believe there are more people no many more people dying in the two wars our President promised to stop than BP is killing. Why don't you start a thread about that if you are so concerned over American lives being lost.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ulala

You guys need to get such a sense of perspective on this. It's just an oil spill, the fact it affects your own shores is unfortunate ... but you didn't worry about that when you were driving your ever so economic gas guzzlers and their 20mph fuel efficiency ... as US corporations were so polluting the environments of other countries ... countries which most of your own citizens still can't even name, let alone identify on a global atlas.

It's not an oil spill is oil that has spilled. Past tense. This the entire gulf fills up with oil and affects the economies of several countries and the oil is still gushing is that still "just an oil leak"????????

So far the consequences of this spill have been what, exactly ? A few dirty beaches ... that's a shame. Dead fish, dead birds. That's a shame. A bad odor on the coast ... well, pardon me ... go inland or close the windows.

So far the consequences of the oil spill can not even begin to be calculated because the oil has not stopped spilling. I read that the exxon oil spill killed 250,000 birds. This one is WAY worse. Oh well if a few species of birds go extict it's just an oil spill.

At least you've got the comfort of knowing the relief wells will be drilled, the leak stopped, the clean up carried out and within a few years you wouldn't even know there'd been a spill ... there's people in this world

Well 2 months later the leak has not been stopped. So at this point my comfort knowing the leak will be stopped in the next two months is not very high. The concern is that it will be another 2 months or 3 months or 4 months before it is stopped. You obviously have failed to realise that the oil is still gushing. There's people in this world who will never have the comfort of not dealing with a 2 month long oil spill.

you've so taken over the forum with your incessant gibbering about this utter trivia

I thought that the biggest oil spill in the history of the ENTIRE WORLD that has not yet been stopped after 2 months was not utter trivia. Oh and it's by an oceanic current so the oil is getting carried to other countries and nations. Sorry for thinking that the WORLDS LARGEST OIL ACCIDENT EVER that is STILL GUSHING OIL and affecting the ecology of the gulf and ocean waters all across the world as well as the economic stability and health of millions and millions of people and companies from both america and england is more than utter trivia.

So get it in perspective, it's an oil spill

It's not an oil spill yet it has not finished spilling. It will be an oil spill when it finally stops. It's still oil gushing into the gulf of mexico. In another 2 or 3 months, at this rate, it will going to fill up the gulf of mexico. It is still "just an oil spill" when it's on the shores of 3 or 4 different countries and it's flowing into the Atlantic ocean and the oil is still gushing????

[edit on 18-6-2010 by iamcpc]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

And what I, as an American, and most other Americans in this thread are trying to do is make you see that none of us blame the British people for the mess that BP caused... so in essence, your fight is with your media alone who thus far have done a bang-up job of making you buy into non-existent hype. Can't have a perfectly good man-made disaster without fabricated political drama, can we?

It's so damn aggravating. It's like we were involved in a horrible car accident, and while we're trying to get survivors out of the mangled wreck, you guys are this bystander that insists on tugging at our shirt tails professing your innocence over and over again. WE GET IT. YOU DIDN'T DO IT. Now either help or STFU and let us deal with it.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
How I *do* love the arrogance and pretentiousness possessed by some Europeans (emphasis on some).

Yes, a lot of Americans (and Canadians, and Brits, and etc. and etc.) are under-informed on ecologic and environmental disasters in the Third World. But they don't have the same media infrastructure, now do they? Heck, as the OP has proven with their initial and subsequent posts it's EASY to turn on the apathy blinders to disaster when the option is there. Having the horrible, unjust, unreasonable, needless tragedies that go on in the world in your face is depressing.

Still, this isn't 'someone tossed a few jerry cans in the gulf', and we have no idea how much oil is to come, or how to contain, much less stop it. Sure, there are always oil leaks that are naturally occurring in the ocean, and yes, there absolutely are microbes that help clean up oil leaks. Nature is resilient, more than we give it credit for. But it is not invincible. How many factories are there around the world that dump carcinogens, and all other sorts of ridiculous toxins into the oceans and our fresh water supply EVERY day, all in the name of corporate profit? What about those half-dozen or so Texas-sized slurries of garbage, sometimes a dozen or so feet deep (and if your country has a coastline, your country holds some blame in that)?

This disaster, on its own, if we were better stewards to our oceans, probably wouldn't be a risk of being of catastrophic, ecosystem-destroying nature. But with all the other strain we're putting on the oceans of the world, this could very well prove to be the straw that broke the camels back.

To all the ATS people that live in the affected areas: my heart really does go out to you and your families. I hope you come out of this on your feet.
to be a prick, I also hope you - Gulf coast residents in general and in majority- can internalize this disaster and move foward finding ways to come together as a community to eliminate as much of your (our) dependancy on these oil baron jagoffs for a livelyhood/transportation/anything else. And prove yourselves as an example for the rest of Americans and Canadians that living outside the grip of petroleum is possible.

Where's the option to de-flag a thread?

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

You're right , it's just a bloody oil- KILL .

Be patient , the gulf stream will possibly give you a front-row seat before this is all over with .

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

Spill?
Where's it spilling from?
A tanker? Barrels that dropped off a boat? A coffee cup?

Pretty sickening how you could play a semantic game concerning an environmental disaster of this magnitude and then use it as an excuse to create anti-USA hate speech.

Oil is forcibly ejecting itself from within the Earth in extreme amounts. Animals are dying, the oil is creeping inland, people are beginning to get sick. It deserves more than the dis-respect you are heaping upon it.

You blame US corporations, for polluting other countries. But that's neither here nor there, a US company didn't cause this disaster. A British company and a rig registered to the Marshall Islands caused this disaster. This is the part where you are using the event as an excuse for creating hate-speech.

Your avatar features the Finland flag. Are you from Finland? If so, your country produces oil as well. You hate oil usage so much, how much protesting have you done against your own country? Hmmmm?

Or is it only okay to diminish and lessen the problem since it's (according to you) only happening to the USA? Thanks for demonstrating that hatred blinds people, this is a problem for every country bordering the Gulf, and that's if we stop it soon.

How about BP itself, ever sent in a single letter asking them to stop drilling?
Ever sent a letter in to ANY oil company?
You drive a car?

I guarantee the computer/device you posted your hate message with was produced using oil in some way. Even if it's the truck that shipped it to the store. That makes you a hypocrite to some extent.

You ask us to get over ourselves, but you are the one arrogantly trivializing one of the worst environmental disasters of these times. I think you need to pull your head out of your ***, and realize the magnitude of this event.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

In case you haven't figured it out yet, my friend, this oil spill doesn't just effect the united states, it can effect an eco-chain than can span the globe. To ignore the fact that any disaster that happens in the ocean effects the whole of the planets oceans on some level is just plain ignorance.
I do not deny that the US Corporations have subjugated the rest of the known world to unfair and often times down right unconscionable acts, but that being said,so have many other first world nations.
To offer you a little more insight, what you may or may not understand is that many of those fish you don't seem to hold in to high of a regard are a pelagic fish that travel the worlds oceans and provide sustenance for many a nation, just as they do in the pacific.
So you would be well advised to wake up and recognize that this isn't a US problem is a world problem.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Morpheas
reply to post by Ulala

I guess you haven't been reading the threads here on ATS because this is MORE than just an oil spill! When 60,000-120,000 bbl/day of oil is leaking out into the gulf and no one knows how to stop it.. it is MORE than just an oil spill! When fisherman and oil workers loose their jobs.. it is MORE than just an oil spill!

Its a Marks and Spencer Oil Spill

Being serious though I too am a little surprised at how little oil is reaching the shores. It would seem viewing the fly over video of the area that the thicker oil does start to thin out and dissipate. Whilst there is oil hitting the beaches its nowhere near is as bad as I thought it would be. Its still early days and of course not over yet. Its the fishermen and their families I feel sorry for. I just hope those relief wells do the job.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join