It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Christ's sake, you people ... it's just a bloody oil spill

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ulala
So get it in perspective, it's an oil spill

I'd just like to point out that it is most definitely NOT:

"an oil spill"

...it is:

"oil spilling"

60 days later... breaking world records, still spill-ING... no real solution in sight...

I am,

Sri Oracling

[edit on 17-6-2010 by Sri Oracle]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by BAZ752

Reminds me of an annoying little brother. "If you love it so much then why don't you marry it."

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by deccal

Originally posted by Yummy Freelunch

Originally posted by deccal

Originally posted by Boomer1941
reply to post by Ulala

Now..I could care less what you THINK Americans are like..but I can tell you one thing..NOTHING like you described..at least not 95% of us!!!

Who the HELL gives you the right to even THINK you know us!!! Let alone, propagate LIES!!

Why so angry facing with truths?
You are a FAT nation who eats the food and the soul of the world.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by deccal]

Im not angry..Im hurt..im saddened.
Those are NOT truths, sir.

Im hurt that I could come on here and call you a friend before this happened..

Im hurt that you generalize all of us by the actions of our governments.

Im hurt that we are divided.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by shagreen heart
i am sooooo sick of hearing all these british jackasses coming on ATS sayin "hey, what's the big deal, it's just a little oil!", simply because the company that caused this is BP.

how would you like it if our offshore rig called USP exploded and completely drenched your coast, and then kept coming and coming, and you realized the situation is direly worse and out of control than ever even predicted, and we didn't give two craps, and made fun of you guys for reacting at all?

yo britain, stfu, it's just a little oil, what, we gotta bail you out again? yarite, 'merican idolz on. gl with that.

i seriously don't want to meet you, and you don't want to meet me either.

Didn't you read my post about the Torrey Canyon?
Yes that's right an American owned oil tanker dumped more oil on the British coast than the current spill has on the U.S coast.
So yes it's exactly the same scenario as you guys are facing but at this point not as bad.
Also it's very easy to be an internet hardman, a bit different in real life though.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
So ... *cough* ... moving on ...

It's now been 24 hrs since I made the original post.

All the outrage from some Americans here ... but may I ask you ... what have you actually done during the intervening period to help out with this oil spillage ? What practical steps have you taken to help the wildlife and those folks who are cleaning the oil from birds etc ?

Have you physically helped out at an animal welfare center ?

Have you sent them an email of support ?

Have you made a financial donation towards the work they do ?

Or have you and three hundred million plus other Americans done what I think you've done ... and that's nothing of any consequence whatever ?

I think ATS should take down their dumb banners and instead donate a weeks advertising revenue towards the clean up efforts. It might go some way to salve your consciences.

Grats for all the threats, again.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Nope, it's not my oil, not my back yard, not my animals and I don't care. In fact, I want nothing to do with it. All I care about is me and my family and we are all good to go. I suggest you focus on things that matter rather than Americans.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

I would greatly appreciate a response to my post. You have made gross generalizations in my opinion, and I believe it would be in the interest of communication, understanding, and reconciliation if you would address the points I raised.

I can assure that it contains no anger, threats, insults, or anything else other than respectful and courteous discussion.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   

I think ATS should take down their dumb banners and instead donate a weeks advertising revenue towards the clean up efforts. It might go some way to salve your consciences.

wow this is too much - u take the profit and we bear the consequences - typical hypocrite

[edit on 0909:6 17/06 by Charly111]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I'm not sure if you understand this yet...it's not just the coastline that's affected. The oil is in the water, which connects us all. To make matters worse, the sleeping president allowed, and continues to allow, the oil to be matched with that toxic corexit. This in itself is the crime of the century, and that our president waited 56 days to respond, as the oil 'dispersed', making oil recovery impossible, comes in as a close second. Who knows what this stuff will pack when it makes contact with humans. Have they even begun sweeping for the widespread oil, or are they still dumping the chemical??? Man, this thing must really be breaking the administrations heart. Think of all the new fascist 'change' legislation bombs they had to tear themselves away from, in order to address this snafu.

At least 911 was a planned nwo event, as was Pearl Harbor. In the case of the oil geyser, they are making plans as fast as they can to harness the opportunities they perceive as being in their favor.

Many many things were done wrong since the mess started. For some reason, ignoring it seemed to be obama's duty, while the poisons were mixed up so the sea could be killed off. I repeat: crime of the century. And now obama has the nerve to go behind closed doors in order to draw up a quickie limitation agreement!!!!!!!!!! (this sentence should be in caps). Ignore the oil for 50 some days, while adding poison to the oil with deadly chems which make it hard to find it, and then make a quickie deal with BP's liability. But this is something that will affect the area for decades. Perhaps more than a century...and obama tries to lift whaling bans??? NOW? As usual the media are complicit in this crime.

Pearl harbor..USS Liberty...911...pfft. Small new world order potatoes compared to what rahm is drawing up for this...

It IS IN the WATER. The water goes everywhere, and they are deliberately complicating things.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by davidmann]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Holy crap. That had to be the most venemous 10+ pages of responses I have ever seen.

What's slightly is funny is that people actually took the OP so seriously. His point, I think was made very clearly not via his actuall Op, but all the responses!

Very few actually got the point of his post, instead, they validated it over and over again.

The bottom line is, this will not cause the end of the world. It will casue some economic reprecussions, wildlife will surely be effected, and I imagine any iconiclly English companies will be keeping a low profile over the next few months, but as we have seen from history, this too will pass, the only difference being that a hell of lot more money and resources will be thrown at the problem.

When I first got to Europe I was angered at the attitude against Americans. How dare they paint us all with the same brush! Now that I have lived here for several years, I have to sheepishly admit that some of the sterotypes are true, hell some of the sterotypes are spot on.

To the OP: *hugs* I think you will need it!

To everyone else: Take a long hard look at yourself and your attitide, I know I did and it really opened my eyes to the rest of the world.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
[edit on 0909:6 17/06 by Charly111]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by R-evolve

Originally posted by Charly111
Typical British Sassanacks - they have created havoc ever since their existence

- WW 1 & 2
- Israel & Palestine conflict
- India & Pakistan religious dissection
- South Africa & Zimbabwe apartheid
- Iraq & Afghanistan anti-Islamic war
- and now doomsday

British Petroleum was funding all these atrocities with the help of BBC as their mouth piece and now its payback time, I hope they never getup again.

They only believe in divide and rule, when will they ever learn to stop - enough is enough.

stupid sneaky bastards of small people.

stop editing my post

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
As an American born but Ex American (yes, ex..i handed over my citizenship thankfully) i entirely agree with your perspective and feelings on the country and a vast majority of its inhabitants. There are exceptions to everything afterall, but they are few and far between in that place these days. There is no way to even try to keep record of the damage and despair world wide from the nation through the decades..
I cant agree with the outlook of the oil leak though, i couldnt care less about America in complete honesty, apart from loved ones still there sadly-but the ocean, and nature herself and all innocent beautiful creatures affected by human stupidity and greed is devistatingly sad to think of.. i have no doubt nature can clean this up, but its not going to be for a very long time, and usually many things humans do to try and help such a situation only add to the damage, like the chemicals used to try and disperse the oil in past spills from tankers..its a really bad situation no matter where on Earth it took place..

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

I'm tired of hearing how all Americans drive these huge gas guzzlers.

I, for one, have been in a vehicle less than ten times in five years! I shut my lights off when not in use, have energy saver bulbs, don't waste water (well runs off electric), block out the sun in the summer, block out the cold in the winter and use a minimum of power. Stop lumping all of us into one group.

There are many more like my family who are minimizing our reliance on oil.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
It's the worst Oil Spill in U.S. History. EVER.

Now not only will there be a Black Ocean in the Gulf of Mexico, there's going to be a Black Sky... They've started burning the Oil.

Since your from Europe, of course you'd have that point of view of who cares.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by mclarenmp4

Originally posted by shagreen heart
i am sooooo sick of hearing all these british jackasses coming on ATS sayin "hey, what's the big deal, it's just a little oil!", simply because the company that caused this is BP.

how would you like it if our offshore rig called USP exploded and completely drenched your coast, and then kept coming and coming, and you realized the situation is direly worse and out of control than ever even predicted, and we didn't give two craps, and made fun of you guys for reacting at all?

yo britain, stfu, it's just a little oil, what, we gotta bail you out again? yarite, 'merican idolz on. gl with that.

i seriously don't want to meet you, and you don't want to meet me either.

Yes that's right an American owned oil tanker dumped more oil on the British coast than the current spill has on the U.S coast.
So yes it's exactly the same scenario as you guys are facing but at this point not as bad.
Also it's very easy to be an internet hardman, a bit different in real life though.

The ship

When laid down in the United States in 1959, it had a capacity of 60,000 tons but the ship was enlarged in Japan to 120,000 tons capacity. At the time of the accident it was registered in Liberia[1] and owned by Barracuda Tanker Corporation, a subsidiary of Union Oil Company of California but chartered to British Petroleum. It was 974.4 feet (297.0 m) long, 125.4 feet (38.2 m) beam and 68.7 feet (20.9 m) draught.
The ship left the Kuwait National Petroleum Company refinery at Mina al-Ahmadi on its final voyage on 19 February 1967 with full cargo of crude oil, reaching the Canary Islands by 14 March. From there the planned route was to Milford Haven.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

Gee, what chutzpah! You're such a nice person! Now let me think....wait.....

.....Do I care what you think?......mmmm NO!

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ulala

And over 400 threads on this spill ... how desperately self indulgent some of you people really are, thread after thread of more and more apocalyptic doom, you've so taken over the forum with your incessant gibbering about this utter trivia you've even managed to get your own forum set up ... with a neat little "BP" badge to reinforce the message that it's the foreigners who are subjecting your poor little defenceless nation to so much harm. Nice one, they'll be pleased with that, great to be on message, huh ?

it's more than just a forum... have you seen the ATS homepage?

2nd line

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by mclarenmp4

are you kidding me???

www.independent.co.uk...

30,000 tons = 2.1 million barrels

en.wikipedia.org...

35,000 - 60,000 barrels a day x 60 days

this is WAY bigger than the Torrey Canyon, and thats using generous estimates... some say it's much higher that 60,000 bpd and this is goingto go on for months minimum

the Torrey Canyon is nothing compared to the current Gulf situation

and you want to talk about real life... do some math before you open your mouth next time

With new estimates that as many as 2.5 million gallons of oil could be spilling into the Gulf of Mexico each day

www.stltoday.com...

thats a Torrey Canyon EVERY day

not comparable in scale whatsoever

[edit on 17-6-2010 by kalisdad]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

You noticed the language the president was using, but apparently have not reflected on the fact that there is likely to be a good reason why he chose those words. He knows more than you do about what is taking place. A bit of homework will reveal that this is not "jut an oil spill". If it isn't stopped, and some industry insiders have expressed doubt that it can be, this is a potential doomsday event for a significant part of the planet's population. It is larger than the state of Connecticut at present and unprecedented in recorded history. Further, we are being told that the oil will not be as damaging locally as the substances e.g. benzine, that are also being released. It has also been said that if the pool bleeds out there is a potential for collapse of part of the floor of the gulf, and a tsunami. Think the Exon Valdez was a bad spill? According to industry research and estimates there are between 2 and 2.5 billion barrels in that well. For perspective, this amounts to about a MILLION times more oil than the Exon Valdez was carrying. This is a potential doomsday scenario. Mr. Obama's language was appropriate.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join